Blood Dragon Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• agparrot 1 May 2013 21:34:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can be as cynical as all fuck about games sometimes, but I don't mind admitting that I've shed a few tears of hilarity at the cut-scenes already.

I don't know by what process they approved this, or how they got Michael Biehn to do it, but it has the makings of something fairly legendary.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 May 2013 21:35:11 39,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The way they slide around in cut-scenes :D

Oh and the C400 dam scene made me laugh as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 1 May 2013 21:41:09 39,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blood Dragon soundtrack, get it before I delete it...
    edit: I deleted it.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 06:11:46 02-05-2013

• northernlights 1 May 2013 21:41:57 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just thinking about what game I want to start nxt does anyone have any idea how long this game is ?
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 21:45:33
    bout 15 hours I think
  • phAge 1 May 2013 21:52:26 24,411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Blood Dragon soundtrack, get it before I delete it... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58364081/FC3_BloodDragon_soundtrack.zip
    Cheers.
  • Syrette 1 May 2013 21:58:32 44,060 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    bout 15 hours I think
    Significantly less than that from what I've read.

More like 8, a few more to 100% it.

• Pumpatron 1 May 2013 21:59:03 382 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Blood Dragon soundtrack, get it before I delete it... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58364081/FC3_BloodDragon_soundtrack.zip
    Nice one!
  • President_Weasel 1 May 2013 22:07:39 9,566 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I pre-ordered the hell out of it just for the concept.
    Also because Michael Biehn. Seriously, whoever's idea this was, well done them.

MrTomFTW wrote:
    Never has a username had a more apt 3 letters on the end of it.

Edited by President_Weasel at 22:10:19 01-05-2013
  • griff_dai 1 May 2013 22:08:13 454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    I don't think I've ever smiled at a crouch icon before. :-)
    ditto :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 May 2013 22:12:53 39,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    griff_dai wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    I don't think I've ever smiled at a crouch icon before. :-)
    ditto :)
    I was wondering what Whizzo was talking about while I was playing earlier, then I've just realised - TERMINATOR!

• Whizzo 1 May 2013 22:26:15 43,268 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :-)

The Rex Colt track is such a great riff on the Terminator theme I almost thought Brad Fiedel had come out of retirement.

I'm absolutely loving this, there's so many nods to movies I love I'm constantly smiling.

Edited by Whizzo at 22:28:06 01-05-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• President_Weasel 1 May 2013 22:49:00 9,566 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This soundtrack is making me grin.
  • agparrot 1 May 2013 23:34:43 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have just watched a Blood Dragon chasing a pack of cyber-cassowaries around a field.

Awesome.

edit:

Then, from nowhere, what looked like two foot patrols of Omega Force turned up, one with a flamer, and proceeded to be battered and flung to death by the Dragon, before a Jeep raced around the corned to join the fray, its occupants soon also smashed to pieces as I hid quietly on a nearby hilltop.

double edit:

Before I can sneak down and pilfer the corpses, the Dragon starts eating them all, allowing time for another jeep to turn up, which it laser-pukes into a fireball.

Edited by agparrot at 23:48:40 01-05-2013
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 23:47:32
    @MrTomFTW Soundtrack! Brilliant man cheers!

I'll post this here... Bit of shameless self promotion maybe but it's just a personal project inspired by the art of Blood Dragon and I thought you chaps might approve of the style? I wanted to see if I could replicate it (albeit using my own business name). It turned out not bad. The brush font is a bit shit and if I get the inclination I'll hunt a better one.

Anyway tell me to bugger off if you want.
  • barchetta 1 May 2013 23:50:19 1,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Downloaded but work commitments mean this will have to wait - possibly until next week... :-(

@ MrTomFTW - cheers for the link-me-do. That'll keep me smiling until I get the game fired up!
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 23:53:22
    agparrot wrote:
    Have just watched a Blood Dragon chasing a pack of cyber-cassowaries around a field.

Awesome.

edit:

Then, from nowhere, what looked like two foot patrols of Omega Force turned up, one with a flamer, and proceeded to be battered and flung to death by the Dragon, before a Jeep raced around the corned to join the fray, its occupants soon also smashed to pieces as I hid quietly on a nearby hilltop.

double edit:

Before I can sneak down and pilfer the corpses, the Dragon starts eating them all, allowing time for another jeep to turn up, which it laser-pukes into a fireball.
    Best. Post. Ever.
  • Rodriguez 1 May 2013 23:53:33 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrTomFTW

I too would like to add my huge thanks to yourself for that soundtrack link! I love synth/electronic music, especially if it's 80's inspired! :D
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 00:00:37
    This soundtrack is going to be on permanent rotation.
  • Triggerhappytel 2 May 2013 01:30:29 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Downloaded this earlier but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll make time tomorrow night, after I've stopped at Blockbuster on the way home to rent a few '80s b-movie action films.
  • Razz 2 May 2013 08:01:47 61,568 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This game is amazing

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• repairmanjack 2 May 2013 09:41:56 6,071 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was playing this last night and I still can't quite believe this game actually exists. Got a constant grin on with all the references. And the use of that song as you start the chopper run was inspired.

The missus walked in, moaned that her eyeballs were bleeding and asked what was wrong with the colour.

Nothing. It's the eighties, honey.
  • Vortex808 2 May 2013 09:47:47 7,442 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:

Awesome.

edit:

double edit:

Hahaha.

:D

I will definitely be spending moon points on this now. The general positive comments already had me interested with his comments on it, but that really does seal it.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2013 10:00:13
    Rather amusingly tried to pick off three Omega's from atop a cliff. Killed the first one with an arrow then hilariously kept missing the other two who started taking pot shots at me. Suddenly from out of nowhere a tiger came up the hill behind them and mauled them both to death as they were too busy shooting me. I was too busy laughing that I hadn't noticed it was then running at me. Queue a panicked moment trying to get my Fazertron out before it bit my knees off.

It's just bloody brilliant.
  • spindle9988 2 May 2013 10:04:54 3,660 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You batards I wasnt going to buy this as I have a million games on the go. 1200 is a great price thougn by the sounds of it
  • agparrot 2 May 2013 10:55:10 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    This game is amazing
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Was playing this last night and I still can't quite believe this game actually exists.
    It obviously makes a few concessions in scale to FC3, although the island still seems big, especially when you consider the whole thing is a relatively modest sized downloadable title.

It retains what is best about FC3 - random encounters with random groups of foes and enemies set against decent gun-handling, and somehow dunks them head-first into a gloomy post-apocalyptic landscape that exists under a nuclear clouded sky, lit only by the dull glow of that red sky, things that burn (they seem to have gone back to Far Cry 2's more spreading fire) and neon strips highlighting pretty much everything.

People have described it as big, dumb fun and there's no denying it's a shooter with mostly shooting and a bit of preset levelling up, but there's a bit of genius at work in how they've made it so much big dumb fun. I've only played a handful of story missions and stormed a few 'Garrisons' and wandered idly through the gloom in search of random encounters, jeeps and hang-gliders but it's dripping in carefully cheesy dialogue, 80s Movie one-liners and heavy film and sci-fi references.

The pistol you carry is essentially Robocop's gun, and Rex 'Power' Colt even spins it around his finger when unholstering it. He casually throws shotgun shells from his cybernetic left hand, straight into the loading chamber of his shotgun, which he then wields in exactly the same manner as bike-riding, John-connor saving Arnie in Terminator 2.

The bow is like Far Cry 3's bow, but it has neon arrows and Tron-like neon-edging, just because.

Press the melee button once, when there are no enemies nearby to attack, and Rex flicks the bird with his cybernetic hand. Continue pressing it, and he alternates between one flicking the left and right birdies. For no reason at all.

Michael Biehn, clearly enjoying being in on the joke, pitches the cut-scene dialogue and the spoken stuff in side-missions and the throwaway one-liners just perfectly.

I'm very fortunate to have wonderful friends - I wasn't going to buy this, too much to play and no MSPs, but somebody gifted me the points for it in an act of late birthday-present generosity and I can't recommend it enough. At least if you have the option have a go on the Trial or Demo or whatever your platform of choice allows you to, download it and have a go at.

It's a lovingly crafted, knowing celebration of the 80s, distilled down into the cheesiest one liners, the most ridiculous gun battles and a neat little essay on the political posturing of the time, and the different attitudes that prevailed in film and game-making at the time. It leans on Robocop and Aliens and Terminator and Wargames and everything Arnie or Stallone ever made, rolls them in a neon-coated set of gaming conventions and spits them at you with an expletive.

Mark IV style, muthafuckas.

Edited by agparrot at 10:56:15 02-05-2013
  • glo 2 May 2013 11:16:37 3,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @agparrot - cheers for the enthusiastic write up mate. I now have purchased 2100 Points and will now no doubt waste my day off playing this instead of doing the many household tasks I promised my significant other that I would do today.

I hope that you are happy now...
  • FourSevenZero 2 May 2013 11:20:12 82 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @agparrot Great write up!

I loved the couple of hours I had on it last night I had a smile on my face the whole time :D
  • neems 2 May 2013 11:31:48 1,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:

Truth.

I'm pretty certain this is the cleverest big dumb fun we'll see this year. Possibly any other year.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last