Blood Dragon Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• agparrot 5 May 2013 12:50:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    It's always worth keeping tabs on the scientists for a little while after you've saved them. Nerds.
    The first one I saved got killed by a cyber tiger about 5 seconds later
    At first, I thought this kind of occurrence was happy coincidence. I love the scientists, they're another example of a cliché that the game pushes perhaps a little too hard but that remains funny. They're an amalgamation of Half Life scientist and 80's Star Wars action figure. Their little voice-clips are great, as they run around screaming about "thermo-chemical reactions" while trying to escape bush fires and they invariably hide, whimpering whenever explosives go off. Their mocking of Omega Force troopers, "Oh, what a terrible shot you are!", in combat also continues to raise a smile, especially when they get killed.
  • Alastair 5 May 2013 16:16:54 15,893 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Getting quite into it now. Only done about 2 missions and freed 2 garrisons, but I think I've found my feet. Doesn't really feel like a FPS though. More like Skyrim with guns and no magic.
  • phAge 5 May 2013 16:53:52 24,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just completed the 4th mission, and think I'll take some time to do some more bastions so I can get the creds to put explosive rounds in ye old sniper. Great game.

"RELEASE THE MAN-KRAKEN!".
  • GiarcYekrub 5 May 2013 23:25:21 3,783 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This has convinced me to buy FC3 I just love stealthing the garisons, got it for £15 of XBL
  • Triggerhappytel 6 May 2013 02:01:46 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played another couple of hours of this tonight, and I really feel like it's clicked for me now. I've done 5 or 6 garrisons now; in the most recent one I managed to get in and deactivate the shield, and then a Blood Dragon spawned and proceeded to tear the place up, so I just stood back and watched. I also rescued a scientist on a side mission, and as soon as the mission was complete, he went to a junction box panel thing on the wall, got a blowtorch out and basically blew himself up immediately. I did laugh; I wonder if some of these things are deliberate because they are pretty funny. I've unlocked about a third of everything, although I'm having trouble finding some of the animals - I keep going to their areas in the map, but all that's there are boar. Anyway, great stuff, I will play some more tomorrow. Got one of he combat tunes going in my head right now.
  • phAge 6 May 2013 08:47:08 24,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Explosive sniper rounds are utterly brilliant - if somewhat overpowered. One shot kills a jeep - with semi-auto you can take out an army of Omega Force before they ever spot you.

Anyone else spotted the brilliant tribute to Arnie's greatest foe ever on Colonel Sloan? Made me laugh...
  • SomaticSense 6 May 2013 09:06:20 8,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @phAge I spotted that too.

Let off some steam Bennet!
    The best one liner ever.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 09:06:46 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found a crashed chopper, and I'm sure it must be some 80's film reference...any ideas chaps.

Back to the game. I'm at the point of no return...or at least I am told that before confirming mission start. I have complete 5/7 missions.

I have collected all tapes, notes and tv's, killed around 10 Dragons, have all Garrisons etc all in a game time of 7.5 hours.

I have loved, and I'm loving every minute of this game, alas I think I'm into the last hour or so now. Brilliant game, or at least very good game with brilliant presentation and plentiful nods re 80's culture, action flicks for old feckers like me who lived through every one of those wonderful years :)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• SomaticSense 6 May 2013 09:16:27 8,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Far Cry 3 with all the awesome stuff, the monotonous crap cut, a protagonist that isn't an unlikable dick, a refreshing setting, and a plot that fits perfectly with the gameplay rather than hamfistedly contradict it.

And it has an incredible synth soundtrack, which has a Godsent lack of fucking 'wub'.
  • SomaticSense 6 May 2013 09:21:35 8,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:Only the Turtle to find/kill to complete the 12 animal kills. I love reading the blurb once you kill them.
    Where the hell are the goddamned neon snakes?

I've put in nearly eight hours now, and with all the explosives I've been using you'd think I'd have killed one accidentally by now. But no...
  • the_dudefather 6 May 2013 09:31:34 9,302 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:Only the Turtle to find/kill to complete the 12 animal kills. I love reading the blurb once you kill them.
    Where the hell are the goddamned neon snakes?

I've put in nearly eight hours now, and with all the explosives I've been using you'd think I'd have killed one accidentally by now. But no...
    Sometimes see them around ruins, but most of the time you'll just get bitten by one you never saw, just be quick to shoot it before it slithers away after

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 09:36:38 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Somatic
    ...Strange, all that gametime you should have seen/killed one.
    You will defo come across one/loads. Make sure you do kill it though. When you do find one, it will prob bite you, you will push it away, make sure you then kill it.

• SomaticSense 6 May 2013 09:58:36 8,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers, I'm at 11/12 and have looking for ages. I'll go ruins hunting then and see if I have better luck.

Do they glow as much as the name implies?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 May 2013 10:05:08 38,369 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I managed to get 12/12 animals without even trying.
    /show off

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 10:10:27 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SomaticSense
    Yes :-)

• DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 10:12:54 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I managed to get 12/12 animals without even trying.
    /show off
    you are just a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus...
    like me ;)

• SomaticSense 6 May 2013 10:14:31 8,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok. So I'm fully prepared now to find my first brightly glowing neon snake, and feel like a blind cretin.
  • TVoJ 6 May 2013 11:18:57 1,972 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just go swimming at a leisurely pace and I'm sure a neon. Snake will soon try to constrict you.

I'm at 11/12. Just the turtle to do. I'm guessing I should find one on a beach somewhere.

Heard the archer reference? Dunno whether I'm missing somthing or not. But don't see what relevance it has in an 80's spoof. Is it actually from somewhere else?
  • DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 11:26:20 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    I'm at 11/12. Just the turtle to do. I'm guessing I should find one on a beach somewhere.
    ...side mission for me.

• PearOfAnguish 6 May 2013 11:29:10 7,330 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's just brilliant. The fucking batshit insane script, ludicrous setting, awesome visuals and sounds...really surprising. There's quite a lot of content here for the price as well, in keeping with its retro stylings the game feels like a proper old school expansion and not an hour long DLC rip-off.

My only complaint is the hideous save system. Checkpointing is ok but getting thrown back to the beginning of a mission if you quit is really fucking irritating. This is the kind of game you want to be able to quick save/load so you can fuck about. Don't make an open world game without quick saving.

SomaticSense wrote:
    And it has an incredible synth soundtrack, which has a Godsent lack of fucking 'wub'.
    Nowt wrong with some sweet wub-wub.
  • SomaticSense 6 May 2013 12:58:53 8,458 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As soon as I loaded the game up I saw a neon snake slithering along a road. it was bright blue, so I have no idea how I didn't see one before.

/blind cretin
  • the_dudefather 6 May 2013 13:09:57 9,302 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I spent a decent amount of time looking for turtles in the sea, but what the game ACTUALLY wants you to kill are Tortoises, which live on land

they are called tortoises in Far Cry 3, but that wouldn't fit with a ninja turtles reference ;)

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 15:47:42 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So then...Rocky lV and fucking he-man...just brilliant :-)

• glo 6 May 2013 18:03:19 3,425 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished this last night. 1200 points well spent. Felt that the style of the game suited the game mechanics much better than story in fc3. Really liked the design of some of the garrisons too.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 May 2013 21:26:45 38,369 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    So then...Rocky lV and fucking he-man...just brilliant :-)
    Yeah, was that the Rocky IV fight music on that last part of the final mission? In fact, that whole mission was fucking amazing on the 80s references theme :-D

• DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 21:42:13 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :) It is called "War"

I completed this afternoon. 10/10 all day for me. All chevo's except the max all weapons out, I need £2000, no need to farm I can live with missing one.

The game was a pleasure from "Long Tall Sally" until afore mentioned "War"

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 May 2013 21:48:43 38,369 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yeah, that's it. I knew I recognised it. Well worth the tenner I paid haha.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 May 2013 21:54:51 38,369 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AND I SHOOT LAZERS OUT OF MY FUCKING EYES

THIS IS FUN. BUT ALSO SAD

• DUFFMAN5 6 May 2013 22:35:22 14,792 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    :) It is called "War"

I completed this afternoon. 10/10 all day for me. All chevo's except the max all weapons out, I need £2000, no need to farm I can live with missing one.

The game was a pleasure from "Long Tall Sally" until afore mentioned "War"
    ...and I did farm for the last cheveo :-) the world is just so fun

• Page

of 9 First / Last