Nook Simple Touch £29.00 Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Whizzo 8 May 2013 13:31:41 43,095 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just wish the buggers would finally ship my HD+!

This space left intentionally blank.

• crispyduckman 8 May 2013 15:09:34 1,856 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rhythm The Kobo Mini is 5". Maybe I'm just used to 6" ereaders but I think 5" is too small. I'd say the Simple Touch is better. As long as you're aware that the Nook store isn't as good as the Kindle store and you're happy using USB to transfer your own files to the device, it's fine.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• YenRug 8 May 2013 15:53:57 2,130 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm still waiting for my Nook to ship...

Wouldn't be so bad if they sent me an e-mail saying there's a delay, instead I got one today saying "Have You Started Your Free Trial Yet?" about 14 day magazine/newspaper trials; feels more like a kick in the teeth, rather than an offer.
  • BeebleB 8 May 2013 21:14:43 911 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tracked mine across Europe today via the ups website. Should arrive by end of tomorrow. has felt lie a while but well within the estimated time really, I'm just really impatient. Have been grabbing some ebooks in preparation and all the stuff needed to root it too..

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 21:29:52
    @crispyduckman 5" is plenty, especially if the Nook's heavy. I've bought the Nook for my 6 year old daughter - lighter is better in that regard.

And fuck the store - apart from a couple of the 20p specials I've not bought one book from the Kindle Store. Indie ebook retailers FTW!
  • crispyduckman 9 May 2013 10:25:08 1,856 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rhythm I take it you mean you got the Kobo Mini for your daughter? Yeah, the 5"/6" think is just a matter of preference. I prefer the 6" but I'm not a 6 year old girl, so there's that. I can see the Nook's hardware buttons being a problem for a child too - they're really that bad.

I'm not too clued up on indie retailers. Any recommendations where to start?

I do use Calibre to put non-Amazon books on my Kindle but I use the email feature instead of USB to send them to my Kindle cloud which syncs with all Kindle devices (inc. bookmarks etc). No idea whether the Kobo can do that but the Nook definitely can't. Handy for tube reading on my phone or night reading on my iPad (not too bad with inverted text).

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• LeoliansBro 9 May 2013 10:26:08 43,832 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Looks like I'm getting 2... I I ordered one and it said there was a payment problem so I reordered, then I get an email sayng my first payment went through... excellent..
    Exactly the same happened to me.
    ...and they've just cancelled the first one, despite saying the payment issues had been resolved.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Concrete 9 May 2013 10:53:07 574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rhythm

Could you list some of these indie ebook retailers? Always interested in saving money where possible, although Amazon is very quick/simple.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 11:01:02
    Fucks sake, got an email saying it had despatched, then got one saying actually no that was a mistake it has not. Now got one saying we were going to despatch but you needed to update your payment details and you haven't so we've cancelled. Who the fuck is managing this? Vizzini?
  • Whizzo 9 May 2013 11:03:40 43,095 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want a laugh take a look at their Twitter, they must be wearing out their Ctrl, C and P keys.

• mrpon 9 May 2013 11:20:59 28,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got mine, first uncharged impressions: nice packaging, I like the form factor and non-slip rubberised rear (fnar), good to see standard microUSB port. Page turn buttons require too much pressure, so I can see the touch screen being used predominantly. I don't mind the weight, feels a solid piece of kit for £29.

Now to charge it up.

Edited by mrpon at 11:27:00 09-05-2013

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• YenRug 9 May 2013 11:58:12 2,130 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just e-mailed Nook, still no sign of it being shipped despite ordering it on the 1st, definitely outside of the 4-5 business days delivery, now.
  • mrpon 9 May 2013 12:13:11 28,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I ordered mine at around 8:30am on the 1st, if that's any help.

• Carlo 9 May 2013 12:18:44 18,004 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ordered May 1.

Status: In progress. Same as it always has been. No money taken yet.

PSN ID: Djini

• YenRug 9 May 2013 12:37:58 2,130 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I ordered mine at around 8:30am on the 1st, if that's any help.
    Order confirmation e-mail came in at 15:03, on the 1st; whilst I can understand they were probably pretty busy, you've received yours and mine hasn't even shipped? That's definitely not a good sign, shows they completely failed to appreciate how big a response they would get from the price cut.
  • mrpon 9 May 2013 12:59:50 28,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay some post-charging impressions: I'm pretty impressed! Bear in mind I'm coming from a keyboard Kindle, so things like swiping up, down, left & right on the touchscreen work well.

+ Screen refresh/page turns are pretty much instant
    + Plenty of font type/size/margin/line space options
    + Nice "Publisher Default" option
    + LendMe book feature
    + You can create your own folders!

- no email to Nook capability
    - no zoom on PDF files

• LeoliansBro 9 May 2013 16:48:24 43,832 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine just arrived, charging it now. It's a little thicker than I thought it would be and it isn't as pretty a piece of kit as a Kindle, the mahoosively wide bezel doesn't do it any favours.

But for £29 it's solid and chunky and a nice size for living in my suit jacket.

• cubbymoore 9 May 2013 16:54:24 36,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    If you want a laugh take a look at their Twitter, they must be wearing out their Ctrl, C and P keys.
    I'm sorry, what? They do customer service on twitter??
  • Deleted user 9 May 2013 17:00:57
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    I'm sorry, what? They do customer service on twitter??
    u get d bst cust svc wen u hav 140 chrs 2 do it in
  • Whizzo 9 May 2013 18:03:36 43,095 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:I'm sorry, what? They do customer service on twitter??
    What like every company that's woken up to the 21st century? There's other ways to contact them on their website as well.

• INSOMANiAC 9 May 2013 18:10:20 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, they 'call' it customer service, what it in fact is is 'It'll be there in 4 or 5 days' or 'contact our website'. Which to be fair is probably the best you'll get in this era of 'dont give a fuck' customer service.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• cubbymoore 9 May 2013 18:12:34 36,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I get that it's conceivable. But seems slightly odd to try to sort out your consumer problems on a thing that lots of other people can freely look at.
  • mrpon 9 May 2013 18:16:56 28,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's £29. I'm not expecting any customer support!

• Whizzo 9 May 2013 18:17:21 43,095 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If there's something not for public consumption they'll follow you and send you a direct message.

The very public nature of Twitter means companies usually try and sort things out very quickly.

@YodelOnline following me when I slagged off eBuyer for switching to using them over Citylink was hilarious.

• LeoliansBro 9 May 2013 18:56:08 43,832 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fits in my suit jacket which is something the Kindle never did. I'm sold on this, does its job very well.

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 18:58:20
    The very public nature of Twitter also means you get, in some instances unfair, bandwagonning going on and horribly unrealistic expectations.

"I TWEETED YOU TEN MINUTES AGO AND YOU HAVEN'T ANSWERED, WHERE THE FUCK IS MY REFUND?" etc.
  • Whizzo 9 May 2013 19:01:26 43,095 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's a good thing too, you can laugh at the idiots.

• INSOMANiAC 9 May 2013 19:07:18 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I believe you can walk into one of their shops and whinge at the poor bastard behind the counter, who'll show morons how to use it. All we have round here though is home bargains and bookies. I dont think many people are readers..

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 19:07:25
    It's a double-edged sword, anyway. Their customer service, payment system etc is struggling because of the vulture-like nature of bargain hunters who'll swarm in and buy buy buy buy then get outraged because they've already sold them on ebay before it's even been processed and delivered.

This does reek of stock clearance, too, as the same deal has hit the US now, albeit even cheaper ($20).
  • YenRug 9 May 2013 22:45:02 2,130 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this message, earlier:

Thank you for writing to us about your NOOK Order No.#########.

We have reviewed your order and the order status is still in process. Your credit card will be charged when your order is posted. Once it is ready to ship, we will send you an email with an expected postage date for your order.

As always, we will send you an email order confirmation on the day your order is sent including the tracking details. Please accept our sincere apology as we are having serious delays in shipping due to high volume of orders.

If you have a more immediate need for help, or have questions that require more than an email, we invite you to join us in our NOOK® Chat Room.

To find us, visit our website and select “Chat With a NOOK® Expert” on the lower left-hand corner of the webpage. Click on it, and get connected to a live NOOK® expert!

For immediate service, chat with our NOOK Customer Service Team by clicking on this link https://uk.nook.com/customerservice/chat/survey any day from 8am to 9pm.

Sincerely,

Jessica Lynn
    Customer Service Representative
    NOOK
    http://www.nook.co.uk/
    Visit our NOOK Support site for the latest updates and downloads at:
    http://www.nook.co.uk/support/

Sincerely,

Bernadeth
    Customer Service Representative
    NOOK
    http://www.nook.co.uk/
    Visit our NOOK Support site for the latest updates and downloads at:
    http://www.nook.co.uk/support/
    So, which one copied and pasted the message and then sent it, Jessica or Bernadeth?

Got a follow-up e-mail just as I was copying this one, my Nook hasn't been dispatched yet, but I should be getting it by the 17th.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last