Game Dev Tycoon

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TarickStonefire 30 Apr 2013 15:10:45 3,133 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Amusing irony of real-life game pirates complaining about their pretend game getting pirated aside, anyone actually tried this? I just wasted half an hour of my life playing the demo, trying to find the bit that the developer *insists* is different to Game Dev Story.

Couldn't find it. Really shameless copying of pretty much every single aspect of GDS, right down to the three dots that mark the passing of time, the contract work that gets unlocked early on, the bugs you can choose to address after completion but before release, the points that accrue under the different aspects of the game development, the 'amusing' slightly tweaked names of real companies, the isometric viewpoint... it goes on and on.

Anyone able to clearly describe exactly what aspects of this game are in any way significantly different to GDS? Coz he really does insist there are some, but I'm buggered if I could find them!

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• BigOrkWaaagh 30 Apr 2013 15:13:38 2,052 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The bit that moans at you for being a filthy pirate. I thought that was the whole point.

Previously midnight_walker

• Commander-Keen 30 Apr 2013 15:14:23 808 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be interested to know this too as I actually quite like these sort of games!

Without being a curmudgeon though, this feels like a good mobile game to me (though expensive) - if it's only going to be available on the full-fat platforms (i.e. PC, etc) you have to wonder what the point is? I mean, who is going to play something like this over, say, BioShock? It doesn't appear to have nearly enough content to be a Transport Tycoon type game?
  • TarickStonefire 30 Apr 2013 15:28:44 3,133 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    I'd be interested to know this too as I actually quite like these sort of games!

Without being a curmudgeon though, this feels like a good mobile game to me (though expensive) - if it's only going to be available on the full-fat platforms (i.e. PC, etc) you have to wonder what the point is? I mean, who is going to play something like this over, say, BioShock? It doesn't appear to have nearly enough content to be a Transport Tycoon type game?
    That's sort of my point, it already is a good mobile game, by a completely different developer: Game Dev Story by Kairosoft, which it appears to me to be an almost complete clone of, with barely any unique features of its own.

That's what I was asking about in the first post: having spent dozens of hours playing GDS I'm very familiar with it, and my first half hour with GDT played *exactly* like it.

I'm not talking about the similarities between games where you shoot people (yes, CoD and MoH are very similar styles of game but only on a superficial 'FPS' level) - I'm saying it feels like they took GDS and reskinned it and that's about it.

But Patrick Klug the developer absolutely insists that GDT grows on the GDS formula, and I didn't see one single iota of significant difference, and wondered if anyone had?

Anyway, yeah, if you like games like this check it out by all means, but also check out Game Dev Story, which is better by virtue of being on mobiles and tablets and all that shizzle.

As for why someone would play something like this on a PC over, say, BioShock: because they don't like BioShock? Or don't like FPS games? Or don't like big expensive premium games on their PC, full stop? There's loads of possible reasons...

EDIT: ahem, it's probably a bit of an exaggeration to say I spent "hundreds" of hours with GDS. I mean it's good, but it's not THAT good. Well, it is. But still. Anyway. Dozens is more accurate...

Edited by TarickStonefire at 16:16:03 30-04-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• DFawkes 30 Apr 2013 15:39:42 23,053 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What does it do different to Game Dev Story though? Or have you not played that, graysonavich? That would make a comparison hard, obviously.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:40:16 30-04-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Hydrogene 30 Apr 2013 17:07:37 105 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well spotted, TarickStonefire! After reading the news quickly, I really thought Game Dev Tycoon was the same as Game Dev Story, which I quite liked on Android! Shame on the developper, building a clone and complaining about piracy. :(
  • cubbymoore 30 Apr 2013 19:22:19 36,497 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there the option to rip off another developers idea?
  • Sharzam 30 Apr 2013 20:33:17 2,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was Game Dev Story the first of its sort ?

Of course not the first sim/tycoon game but the first to focus on game making ? Just wondering so i know who the rip off is :) As this seams to copy not only the concept but also the style, presentation and overall feel.

PS. I love Game Dev Story on Android.

Edited by Sharzam at 20:33:57 30-04-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Deleted user 30 April 2013 20:37:40
    This is one of those "the difference between inspiration and plagiarism" things, I suppose. Like how Rollercoaster Tycoon is clearly inspired by Theme Park, but different and unique enough in almost all areas to not be considered a rip-off. Whereas this appears to be the exact same game as GDS with different graphics on top.
  • LetsGo 30 Apr 2013 22:27:12 5,242 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just don't get the media reaction. After Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrauser, Tiny Tower etc... they seem to get away with it by doing a piracy PR stunt?!?!

Cloning games is just as bad as piracy.
  • skunkfish 2 Apr 2014 13:42:37 28 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Disappointed by the mechanics of this game. I spent ages wondering why I was getting nowhere only to discover that by releasing too good a game early on, your succeeding titles won't sell unless they get better review scores. A cynical take on the videogame industry or just poor design?

I may actually have to start work on my game 'The Software House' to correct things..
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next