Games that you love (but had to persevere with first) Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Popzeus 30 Apr 2013 16:05:19 8,380 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fez. My first three or so hours left me pretty cold, so I abandoned it. Came back and started a new playthrough in January after EG raved about it in the end-of-year roundup, and was completely smitten.

No idea now why I didn't get on with it first time out.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• DUFFMAN5 30 Apr 2013 16:15:17 15,046 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Off the top of my head:
    Bioshock
    Fallout 3

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• andytheadequate 30 Apr 2013 16:16:29 8,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The start of Dishonored was basically the same as the Oblivion opening. Both were pretty terrible starts.

It took me a few months to get into Mass Effect, then got stuck for ages on an annoying boss I was too underpowered to beat easily. Loved the game after that though.

It usually takes me a while to get into strategy games, Empire Total War being a good example. Played for 10 hours in the first few months, then over 50 in a month
  • senso-ji 30 Apr 2013 16:43:38 5,973 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dark Souls - I couldn't beat the Gargoyles for ages, and I was so fed up with the game that I almost traded it in for Batman: AC. Glad I persevered in the end as IMO it's the best game this generation.

Red Dead Redemption - I found the first half dozen missions extremely boring, but once the maps opened up and I was free to do pretty much whatever I wanted, I loved it.
  • Baihu1983 30 Apr 2013 17:18:19 3,529 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Deadly Premonition - The bit in the woods is just dire
    Yakuza 5 - the stuff with the kids was really dull
    Too Human - game only starts to get really fun once you are around level 20

Edited by Baihu1983 at 17:19:09 30-04-2013
  • Latin 30 Apr 2013 17:23:56 3,791 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fallout 3... Although, actually this is the wrong thread because I straight up gave up on it.

Halo CE is my main one, I got given it with my xbox along with splinter cell... Booted it up, thought it was a boring corridor shooter and played splinter cell for ages.

Eventually went back to it, got past the first level, crash landed onto Halo and the rest is history! One of my favourite games ever.
  • Baihu1983 30 Apr 2013 17:29:21 3,529 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Took me about 3 months before i even opened Halo. Only got it cause i needed 1 more game with my bundle but i had 0 interest in it. Think i played up to the 3rd level then didn't touch it again for nearly a year.
  • TurboBailey 1 May 2013 01:39:39 687 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Deus Ex: Human Revolution for me

SNAP! Struggled to get into this, then it just clicked !
  • PazJohnMitch 1 May 2013 02:34:33 8,410 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most open world games:
    Oblivion
    Fallout 3
    GTA4
  • JinTypeNoir 1 May 2013 02:59:47 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pilotwings - talking the original for the SNES/SFC here. I remember my brother was really good at it, but I just sucked. I went back to it years later after playing Pilotwings Resort and finally managed to play through the whole thing. Awesome classic.

Planescape: Torment - THAC0? Why is better defense a lower number? Not at all used to D&D ideas, and with a really broken grasp of English, I really struggled with this game at first. I still think that era of games may have been designed better than the nightmare interfaces in the old PC RPGs, but could have done a better job at introducing D&D concepts into the game world in a reasonable and more video game-y way. I'm glad I did, its one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

No One Lives Forever - as said before, I have real trouble with modern look and aim FPS controls. I couldn't get anywhere for the longest time in this game. I think I had to repeat the first few missions over and over again for about 10 hours before I get good enough to proceed past the next and kept on hitting blocks in my skill level. It was worth it though.

Final Fantasy - the original, old, old Famicom game. I played it after the PlayStation ones and for some reason to my young mind, I assumed it had the same control as God Slayer/Crystalis, another Famicom action RPG, which had been my introduction to older RPGs. In that game, in order to open a treasure chest you have only to bump into it. I thought that was the same for Final Fantasy and so I couldn't get past the Marsh Cave forever, because after I beat the boss, I couldn't get the crown in the chest. I just assumed you had to bump into it. Took my five tries to realize you have to press the A button by standing next to it. In my defense, I was really very young at the time. ;)

The Legend of Zelda - I remember thinking this game was the stupidest thing ever as a little kid. Why on earth had this series gotten popular? Coming from A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time, I didn't get it at all. When I finally understood how to play it, I of course, grasped the secret of everybody and now I love it.

Ridge Racer - for the longest time I could not figure out the drift mechanics in this series, it took until Ridge Racer V till it finally clicked with me. Until then, this game was just Asobit Racer and you played it in the arcade to smash into things and have random fun.
  • sirtacos 1 May 2013 05:08:50 7,326 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dragon's Dogma
    Bioshock Infinite
    Mount & Blade: Warband
    Jade Empire
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
    Metal Gear Solid (all of them)
    Freelancer
    Way of the Samurai 3
    Planescape Torment

As I go back and add to this list, I realise I'm a much bigger gaming nerd than I cared to think.

Anyway all of the above are, IMO, great games in their own right, and deserve a second chance from anyone.

Edited by sirtacos at 05:14:15 01-05-2013
  • king26 2 May 2013 18:34:24 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ass Creed 2 and Fallout 3
  • psychokitten Moderator 2 May 2013 18:40:26 7,794 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought Killer 7 the day it came out, played for about 10 minutes while in a foul mood, and it made no sense to me. Didn't go back to it for a week or two I think, and then blasted through it and adored it.

Did something similar with Heavy Rain. Played for about 15 minutes and just couldn't connect with it, then when I went back ages later, I was hooked.
  • Metalfish 2 May 2013 18:45:15 8,849 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Planescape: Torment
    If you don't have much experience with D&D, planescape combat starts off pretty lame and doesn't get a lot better. Fortunately you're invincible and the writing is superb.
  • Rusty_M 2 May 2013 18:49:46 4,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eternal Darkness
    Mount & Blade (still don't really get it)
    DCS series
    Silent Hunter Series
    IL2 Sturmovik series
    Rise of Flight
    ArmA series

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• bad09 2 May 2013 19:12:39 6,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Silent Hunter Series
    I just cannot figure how to actually hit anything with torpedoes but boy I love just mucking about with SH5 it's quite beautiful.

I recently picked up Ship Simulator Extremes which is a bugger to figure out the controls for some of the ships at the moment but again it's great just mucking about in boats.
  • Rusty_M 2 May 2013 19:18:39 4,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silent Hunter 4 makes it easier to figure out how to hit things with torpedoes than 5. I can still do it much more consistently in 4. It's still a challenge, though. It's immensely satisfying when you finally manage to get a torpedo to detonate right beneath a ship's keel.

• bad09 2 May 2013 19:24:44 6,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rusty_M

Yeah I always hear how 4 is a better game, will pick that up eventually as I've been getting right into sim games in the last year.
  • Rusty_M 2 May 2013 19:39:42 4,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    5's good if you mod it. Be careful of the real navigation mod.

• bad09 2 May 2013 19:43:52 6,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rusty_M

Cool thanks for the heads up, to be honest I hadn't even though of mods for SH5 as I always spend my time diving, surfacing and watching torpedoes miss everything :) Any advice on some nice ones?
  • WrongShui 2 May 2013 19:50:01 6,620 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Witcher. It doesn't hit its stride till the third chapter.
  • SparkyMarky81 2 May 2013 20:30:29 567 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Souls for me.

I got as far as Blighttown then had to leave it alone for a couple of months for the good of my blood pressure. I then got back into it, only to require a further month long interlude when I got stuck in the Duke's Archives.

It's amazing how much easier some games get when you leave them for a while and return with a cool head and freshly restored patience.

Can't get enough of it now.
  • RyanDS 2 May 2013 21:02:31 9,600 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fallout 3.

Attempt 1: 3 hours in, got bored.
    Attempt 2: 5 hours in, following the plot, got bored.
    Attempt 3: Someone told me ignore the plot and just explore. 150 hours later between 2 playthroughs (one good, one evil) it is one of my favourite games ever.
  • Rusty_M 2 May 2013 21:07:46 4,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deleted

Edited by Rusty_M at 21:08:07 02-05-2013

• Pinky_Floyd 2 May 2013 21:22:07 8,083 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bioshock 2.

I get irritated when people say it is shit.  But then I remember I said that for a year after playing it for an hour and not going back to it until I wised up and gave it a proper go.

Took a few hours but very nicely carved it's own path and can actually stand proud as a bloody good sequel.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next