Games that you love (but had to persevere with first)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Malignant 30 Apr 2013 15:02:48 86 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Which game(s) do you love, or have a soft spot for, that you had to persevere with first?

Maybe you found it too easy/difficult at the beginning or you just thought it was rubbish. But for whatever reason you persevered with it, and you finally felt rewarded for your efforts.

For me Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was tough going for the first hour or so. I wasn't enjoying the combat or storyline and felt that the tutorial section dragged on a bit. However, as soon as the first boss character was killed I finally found a way of playing that suited my style.

As I've got more and more into the game I've begun to love it for what it is, and I've recently bought the strategy guide for it too. The book is huge (600 pages long) and you could easily kill someone with it (it's that heavy). :eek:

I also have to mention Okami. I love this game but I found the beginning very difficult due to the initial hand holding and constant interruptions.

I'm a huge fan of both RPG's and open-world games because I just love to explore. So I suppose I find long tutorials rather restrictive, especially when I just want to wander around myself etc. I don't like being forced to try out every single combat situation within the first few minutes, I'd rather find out about them all myself (otherwise it rather spoils it for me). :mad:

Maybe that's why I loved Morrowind so much at the beginning. You were literally dumped at Seyda Neen and nothing was expected of you. :cool:
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 15:06:11 87,775 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vanquish. Totally didn't get it at first. Took a while to click.

And despite desperately wanting to get into it, the original MGS took a very long time for me to get my head around. Similar story for Splinter Cell actually. And Hitman.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2013 15:06:45
    Heavy rain.
    Viva pinata.
    Riddick.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2013 15:07:07
    Bayonetta
  • superbob86 30 Apr 2013 15:07:21 28,090 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dishonored recently.
  • Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 15:07:26 18,335 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Souls
    Demon's Souls
  • RobTheBuilder 30 Apr 2013 15:07:34 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought Bayonetta was magnificent, but it took until playing it on normal to really click.

Also fallout 3, took ages to get going, but was excellent once it did.
  • spamdangled 30 Apr 2013 15:09:11 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nier. After a baffling and rather frustrating start not helped by the poor graphics, character design and the incredibly repetitive looping music, I ended up completing it 4 times! Hell, it actually improves on a second playthrough due to the added context given by the additional scenes.

Rift: What seems like a generic wow-clone with an Everquest artstyle to start with eventually reveals some pretty huge differences and now I completely love it. Took me 3 times of starting it though before I finally gave it a proper chance and time.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• imamazed 30 Apr 2013 15:09:44 5,638 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tend to just not bother to persevere. To my own detriment.
  • Concrete 30 Apr 2013 15:09:49 582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FF13.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Apr 2013 15:09:55 17,085 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution for me. I started it about four times and gave up after the first main mission. I just couldn't get on with it at all. Then I realised it was essentially a linear game with a semi open world and it all clicked and I think it's brilliant.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Blerk Moderator 30 Apr 2013 15:11:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Dishonored recently.
    Me too. The first level had me practically convinced that I was going to hate it, but the game really turns around once you have a few powers. Not the greatest of introductions but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I'm hoping the same holds true for The Witcher 2, which I've just started and really aren't getting along with at the minute.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 15:13:25 87,775 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man, the whole intro to Witcher 2 blows fat chunks. That game took a long time to get good.
  • superbob86 30 Apr 2013 15:14:57 28,090 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't think it ever did to be honest. Although I only managed to get to the mine thing before giving up.

Edited by Deckard1 at 15:15:20 30-04-2013
  • Menace 30 Apr 2013 15:15:49 5,766 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kick Off

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• Mola_Ram 30 Apr 2013 15:16:56 7,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    First Witcher took me a while to get into, but I ended up liking it more than anything from Bethesda. Haven't played the second yet.
  • imamazed 30 Apr 2013 15:16:56 5,638 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Dishonored recently.
    Me too. The first level had me practically convinced that I was going to hate it, but the game really turns around once you have a few powers. Not the greatest of introductions but I'm glad I stuck with it.
    Actually yeh, agree with that one. Didn't take that much perserverence on my end though, maybe 2 hours. Still, I did feel like stopping a few times to begin with so I'm glad I stuck with it.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Apr 2013 15:17:38 17,085 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Witcher 2 is considered by pretty much everyone to be a hard game to get into. The four intro sections each have pretty major pitfalls. The combat is not really like anything else * and it's a very plot heavy game.

However, saying all that, I urge every to persevere with the game. The combat is all about managing vigor and opponent spacing. If you find you're doing overly elaborate moves that get you killed you just need to move in a bit closer before trying to attack. It takes about an hour or two after the prologue before the combat makes sense and becomes fluid. Once it does then the game is a stunner.

* Every time I've tried to replay the game I have to relearn the combat!

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 15:18:38 30-04-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• kinky_mong 30 Apr 2013 15:21:05 10,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fallout 3
    Ass Creed 2 (in fact it took so long it wasn't until Brotherhood that I really enjoyed it!)

Currently struggling to get into Dragon's Dogma despite it seeming to get praise from most people, and I really should try and play Dishonored again as I gave up from boredom after the first proper mission.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• w00t 30 Apr 2013 15:24:19 11,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dwarf Fortress. More of a learning cliff then a curve.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 15:24:42 11,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Man, the whole intro to Witcher 2 blows fat chunks. That game took a long time to get good.
    Yes, I hated the intro but I'm so glad I stuck with it, one of my favourite games of this gen.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 30 April 2013 15:32:30
    Ass creed 2 and dishonored as well for me. Both great games with lousy beginnings.
  • Murbal 30 Apr 2013 15:33:38 22,236 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Bayonetta
    Totally. I nearly gave up on it and sold it a couple of times. Gave it one last chance and suddenly it was GOTY stuff :-)
  • SpaceDave3000 30 Apr 2013 15:34:00 78,221 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Yeah, this has to be the king of perseverance.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DFawkes 30 Apr 2013 15:35:19 22,987 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tenchu Z. Played the demo and hated it, but a friend insisted that was one of the worst levels in the game. So I tried the full game and he was right :) Very enjoyable game, if a bit limited.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• w00t 30 Apr 2013 15:37:29 11,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    w00t wrote:
    Yet, I couldn't get into Dark Souls. I did try for about 4 hours before standing up and saying to my TV 'Fuck you, pal. FUCK YOU' and never playing it again.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Deleted user 30 April 2013 15:42:37
    Borderlands.

I hated it at first and actually abandoned it. After everyone raving about it I gave it another go and absolutely loved it.
  • Maturin 30 Apr 2013 15:44:23 3,006 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Grand Prix Legends. Crikey that game had a massive learning curve. I never got particularly good at it, but I did get to the point where I could get around the track without destroying the car. Which in that game is a triumph.
  • shamblemonkee 30 Apr 2013 15:56:17 14,400 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kinky_mong I was coming in to say Dragon's Dogma.

I really does start slowly and after a brief highlight goes back to being pedestrian for a while. The crescendo when it comes though is brilliant.

DD wasn't even on my radar when it first came out, i picked it up a few weeks later as a curiosity. linke KM i was unsure at first but i'm so glad i stuck with it, as an insane intertwining of Monster Hunter and Western RPG with the Pawn sytem thrown in it ends up being something really quite special and one of my favourite games of the past few years.

The player animation for running is hilariously bad, the graphics sometimes janky - but when it all comes together (usually at night by the light of your latern as a troll looms in to view) it's truly something special and that's why i'm into the hundreds of hours devoted to it.
  • superbob86 30 Apr 2013 15:58:42 28,090 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    w00t wrote:
    Yet, I couldn't get into Dark Souls. I did try for about 4 hours before standing up and saying to my TV 'Fuck you, pal. FUCK YOU' and never playing it again.
    I've tried three times now. Honestly it can go fuck itself.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous