Wii U Zelda Game Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 14:25:23 18,286 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's a cracking idea. Fire is also a nice element, so a Fire place of worship would be pretty cool. With an uber firegun to headshot everyone in it.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 14:40:01 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think they could learn a lot from things like Skyrim and Fallout. It shouldn't go quite that far and I certainly don't want crafting and guilds and all that, but they need to go back to feeling like a world again. The last few just haven't captured that in the same way that OoT did, and it's largely because games have moved on and our expectations have shifted.

I also think they should have a look at Mario Galaxy, and how they took the fundamental good bits of Mario, and then stripped everything else away and changed it. Again. I don't want Zelda in space, but I do think they need to do a similar exercise to stop the game feeling so archaic.
  • disusedgenius 30 Apr 2013 14:44:16 5,333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The last few? TP and WW captured their worlds brilliantly - it was more the game-y parts which they had issues with. It was really just Skyward Sword which fucked up in that regard, especially as the potential was there.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 14:48:28 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wind Waker to me felt like a series of small islands (levels) connected by an empty and slightly pointless sea. I didn't feel like I was in a world like I did with OoT.

TP was better (mostly by virtue of almost being a remake of OoT), but to me somehow felt smaller, even if it was actually bigger, and again, I think that's probably because by that point I'd played things like Morrowind.
  • Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 14:50:48 18,286 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The beautiful thing about WW was that you were in a world, you just didn't know it.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 14:52:34 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm really talking about a sense of scale tbh. Perhaps that didn't quite come across in my post. In OoT I got a real sense of crossing a genuine stretch of land than was part of a world. I kind of lost that with subsequent games.
  • disusedgenius 30 Apr 2013 14:56:34 5,333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got a lot of very vivid memories of WW, the populated islands at least. I got a much tighter sense of history and character from the world with it as well. Less literal space but a much greater sense of place, imo.

Also helps that I loved sailing around that ocean - the music still makes me go all misty-eyed. Same for it all, actually, stick me on a YouTube playlist of the OST and I can go back there very easily. It's probably what did it for me, actually.
  • Tom_Servo 30 Apr 2013 14:58:29 17,962 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They should never have stopped the cel-shading. Wind Waker looked amazing, whereas Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword didn't really. That's a bit of a side-issue though, as the whole thing needs a big kick up the arse. I'm sure everyone was saying that about twenty minutes after TP was released, though.
  • disusedgenius 30 Apr 2013 14:59:55 5,333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    In OoT I got a real sense of crossing a genuine stretch of land than was part of a world. I kind of lost that with subsequent games.
    WW certainly gave it to me, the fact that you could travel in real time and sail from island to island without loading screens (or is that just my memory playing tricks on me) was kinda mind-blowing.

In fact I loved TP for it as well... Fuck it, let's just say that I disagree in general. :)
  • bobdebob 30 Apr 2013 15:00:27 587 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm really talking about a sense of scale tbh. Perhaps that didn't quite come across in my post. In OoT I got a real sense of crossing a genuine stretch of land than was part of a world. I kind of lost that with subsequent games.
    That's cause you've played enough Zelda (and other adventure games) to know where everything is.

You're not going to get that sense of scale and newness that a child is going to get playing Zelda game for the first time.

Edited by bobdebob at 15:01:17 30-04-2013
  • LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 15:00:36 44,248 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zelda's almost too entrenched to reinvent. They'd be better off going for original IP and giving the series a rest.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 30 Apr 2013 15:02:09 28,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A new Nintendo IP? This isn't the 80's LB
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 15:03:09 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think WW was so incredibly effective in terms of atmosphere and presentation, it somewhat covered up what was otherwise a fairly unimaginative and simple Zelda game.

That sounds a bit negative. I think it's arguably the best one such was the strength of what it did well tbh,
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 15:04:21 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    That's cause you've played enough Zelda (and other adventure games) to know where everything is.

You're not going to get that sense of scale and newness that a child is going to get playing Zelda game for the first time.
    Possibly, but I still think there's the possibility to change the game but still recreate the old magic. Again, they did it with Mario Galaxy.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 15:05:23 44,248 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love WW purely because I liked sailing around the place exploring. I also love the 'mothership' game mechanic that a few games have and WW in particular was built around.

• LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 15:06:07 44,248 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Possibly, but I still think there's the possibility to change the game but still recreate the old magic. Again, they did it with Mario Galaxy.
    Do you think so? I never cared for Galaxy as I did for Sunshine and especially Mario 64.

• Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 15:09:58 18,286 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I've got a lot of very vivid memories of WW, the populated islands at least. I got a much tighter sense of history and character from the world with it as well. Less literal space but a much greater sense of place, imo.

Also helps that I loved sailing around that ocean - the music still makes me go all misty-eyed. Same for it all, actually, stick me on a YouTube playlist of the OST and I can go back there very easily. It's probably what did it for me, actually.
    Lovely post. Yeah, that music is very special as game music goes. The swooping of the gull on the title screen, around the little island. Lovely.
  • Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 15:12:56 18,286 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been suggested for years now, but the idea of a future Zelda really does appeal. Some future boy, in a blade-runner style Tokyo or wherever, stumbling over something ancient and uncovering an old story about an old world. Wind Waker in a future city.
  • bobdebob 30 Apr 2013 15:28:30 587 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @kalel
    Haven't played Mario Galaxy but I have played 3D Land, Kirby, TP and NSMB.
    They're mediocre games for me but that's because I've played the old games a lot. But for a kid NSMB is probably as amazing as SMB3 was for older players.

The point is that older players are a secondary audience unless you want something immensely stupid along the lines of Bomberman Zero.

Not saying they can't innovate just don't expect something out of left field.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 15:32:11 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Zelda's almost too entrenched to reinvent. They'd be better off going for original IP and giving the series a rest.
    They are at the point now where they can and probably should release a 'traditional' 3D zelda game on the 3DS and go balls out on reinventing the wheel on the Wii U.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 30 Apr 2013 15:36:56 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    @kalel
    Haven't played Mario Galaxy but I have played 3D Land, Kirby, TP and NSMB.
    They're mediocre games for me but that's because I've played the old games a lot. But for a kid NSMB is probably as amazing as SMB3 was for older players.

The point is that older players are a secondary audience unless you want something immensely stupid along the lines of Bomberman Zero.

Not saying they can't innovate just don't expect something out of left field.
    Hmm, I wonder what the key audience is for Zelda games these days. My suspicion is that we're not talking about a kids game. I suspect the audience now is the same one it was then. They've aged, and the games need to adapt to stay with them to an extent.

Worth having a look at Galaxy. Interesting to see what can be done, and frankly the proper 3D Zelda games are the other big flagship title Nintendo have so should be putting a similar amount of effort into it.
  • Sid-Nice 30 Apr 2013 15:41:54 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    A new Nintendo IP? This isn't the 80's LB
    How about an elf like person called Kiln who has to rescue princess Aldez?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deckard1 30 Apr 2013 15:49:34 28,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just make everyone black. And set it in the 70's.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 15:58:23 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And change Links name to Kunta Kinte.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• bobdebob 30 Apr 2013 16:35:22 587 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hmm, I wonder what the key audience is for Zelda games these days. My suspicion is that we're not talking about a kids game. I suspect the audience now is the same one it was then. They've aged, and the games need to adapt to stay with them to an extent.

Worth having a look at Galaxy. Interesting to see what can be done, and frankly the proper 3D Zelda games are the other big flagship title Nintendo have so should be putting a similar amount of effort into it.
    Don't kid yourself, the target audience is kids, maybe slightly older kids, but still kids. The games do not need to adapt to older players except maybe for a handful of references to the older games.

Younger relatives who have nintendo consoles usually have at least 1 of the Zelda games.

Edited by bobdebob at 16:39:28 30-04-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jun 2013 12:20:29 11,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    From Nintendo Life :

"I only have about ten more years to make games at Nintendo"

Eiji Aonuma has worked on the Zelda series for 15 years now, and has been responsible for some truly amazing entries in this beloved franchise. However, in a recent interview with EDGE magazine, he has revealed that he'd like to try other things before he retires:

I'm 50 now, so I only have about ten more years to make games at Nintendo. I want to try all sorts of new things before it's too late I don't want to get to the end of my career and only have worked on Zelda. But every time I come up with some good new ideas, they end up being used in a Zelda game! I need a six-month break to get away from the Zelda cycle and focus on something new [laughs]. But I'd probably end up making a game that is similar to Zelda; after all, A Link to the Past was my biggest influence."

Can he hurry up then, I'd love to see someone else in charge.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deckard1 6 Jun 2013 13:19:26 28,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi
  • Zizoo 6 Jun 2013 13:24:18 8,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Hi
    Hi

Someone quote this.
  • Deckard1 6 Jun 2013 13:26:06 28,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did they say what art style they're going with then? Got to be a more realistic look to harness the power of the Wii U you'd think.
  • javvyman 6 Jun 2013 13:29:05 709 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as it's nothing like TW, the art in that was some of the worst in the series.

Edited by javvyman at 13:29:19 06-06-2013
  • Page

of 3 First / Last