Super Mario 3D World Page 3

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• JinTypeNoir 12 Jun 2013 01:55:02 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some thoughts:

-Love the verticality of a lot of the stages shown and the platforming ideas are as fresh as ever

-Love, love, love all the homages to Super Mario USA/2 and how much it seems like a sequel to it in structure

-The multiplayer co-operation seems like it was on a far more nutsoid level than any of the New Super Mario Bros. games

-If there hadn't been a rush of Mario games lately (say, pare it down to New Super Mario Bros. and the two Galaxies only) this game would look a lot more fresh and innovative. It looks more iterative at this point, because a lot of this stuff is iterating on the ideas from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, 2, Wii U and 3D Land.

-The catsuit and the translucent pipes in particular seem inspired and so much fun to mess around with

-They really need to vary it up with new or varied stage goal markers. Returning to the flag pole in New and 3D Land was cool once each. Now, not so much.

-Looks like green stars are replacing star coins?

-I wonder what the overall structure of the game is like?
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Jun 2013 17:40:01 5,069 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    A step in the wrong direction from Galaxy in my opinion.
    Yup ... totally agree.

I have been away on holiday this week and missed everything that has been going on (regarding E3).

The first thing I wanted to find out was how much the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will cost, which both surprised and bemused me (£80 cheaper?! I gasped) and secondly, this ... what does the new 3D Mario looks like, I wonder.

I'm genuinely surprised at just how disappointed I am. It looks like Super Mario 3D Land on a big screen. And a cat suit.

That's it?

After the majestic Super Mario Galaxy?

Utter bobbins ... utter bobbins indeed.

: ( : ( : (
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Jun 2013 17:57:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any developer that created galaxy should not be underestimated. Even if its not a galaxy beater it will likely still be brilliant.
  • CharlieStCloud 15 Jun 2013 08:30:18 5,069 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Any developer that created galaxy should not be underestimated. Even if its not a galaxy beater it will likely still be brilliant.
    I am sure the game will have a dosage of magic however, I bought a 3DS purely for Super Mario 3D Land (as well as Resident Evil: Revelations, but let's not go there), and I totally RINSED that game. I did everything as Mario; all the special stages, all those three coins, 100%-ed each level as well as playing through as Luigi.

This, from what has been shown so far, is Super Mario 3D Land on a big screen.

... why didn't they go back to a Mario 64-esque open world level design? How about a follow-up to Galaxy which has the usual little planets and the occasional big free roaming planets? Maybe go back to the world of Sunshine and do something new there too?

*sighs*

The problem is, a 3D Mario has always sold me a Nintendo console and for the first time ever, it is not to be.

Not only that, there was no surprises from Nintendo whatsoever. I grimaced when I saw Donkey Kong Tropical Paradise because I was absolutely BEGGING not to see the 'Retro' logo at the end of the trailer.

Yeah, it soon happened alright.

: (
  • jimlufc 15 Jun 2013 09:36:19 117 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They didn't go back to that because that isn't what sells.
  • JiveHound 15 Jun 2013 10:17:56 2,341 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The thing is if they'd done the Galaxy thing with planetoids and what-have-yous I think it would have been more disappointing.

The more I see of this the more I'm happy with it. 3d Land is brilliant on the 3ds and the multiplayer angle means that my fiancé can join in properly instead of just pointing a wiimote to collect star bits.

The fact that people will be using wiimotes for multiplayer at all vexes me. I'm concerned that there will be no pro pad support.

That and the fact that a mainline Mario title doesn't seem to be doing anything with the gamepad.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Psychotext 15 Jun 2013 11:54:57 53,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Random question, does the Wii U come with wiimotes? I was under the impression it didn't.
  • figaro7 15 Jun 2013 12:43:51 1,362 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No it doesnt, just the gamepad.
  • Psychotext 15 Jun 2013 12:44:52 53,839 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So why the fuck aren't they supporting the decent pads? Ridiculous.
  • DFawkes 15 Jun 2013 13:02:09 22,597 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did I miss them confirming definitely no Pro Controller support? Seems rather silly given they're patching into NSMB.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• jonsaan 15 Jun 2013 14:09:14 25,326 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It has to work with wiimotes right? Won't this fundamentally ruin a 3d mario? If analogue control is gone that is..

FCUTA!

• mikew1985 15 Jun 2013 14:16:17 12,592 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup is going to be the slower paced more digital designed control of 3D land so it can be played with a dpad.

Nintendo were the biggest disappointment at e3 this year. Nothing even close to interesting enough to consider a wii U. When I heard about the control in this I was even more disappointed.
  • JiveHound 15 Jun 2013 22:51:32 2,341 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The videos had the character select screen as a gamepad and three wiimotes. I don't know whether the pro pad is supported.

It damn well should be.

I'm a bit worried by how easy it looks.

• Deleted user 16 June 2013 01:32:06
    The return of Chargin' Chuck is a very good thing.
  • DrStrangelove 16 Jun 2013 01:49:02 3,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    The videos had the character select screen as a gamepad and three wiimotes. I don't know whether the pro pad is supported.

It damn well should be.

I'm a bit worried by how easy it looks.
    Galaxy and NSMB Wii didn't support it either, so I don't think there's much hope.

And about it looking easy... since it seems to have some focus on multiplayer, and on kids messing around with each other, its game design might turn out to be more different from 3D Land than it looks. It did have a certain NSMB Wii vibe to me.
  • roz123 16 Jun 2013 08:52:52 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pro controller is supported apparently (they are even updating NSMBU to support it as well). Nintendo have also confirmed there will be cat, frog and tanooki suits.
  • Raiko101 16 Jun 2013 10:37:41 6,068 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If 3D Land is anything to go by, this one shouldn't be a walk in the park. 3D Land wasn't the toughest Mario game, but it got quite tricky towards the end!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• JiveHound 16 Jun 2013 11:11:43 2,341 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Pro controller is supported apparently (they are even updating NSMBU to support it as well). Nintendo have also confirmed there will be cat, frog and tanooki suits.
    Me. Appeased.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 16 Jun 2013 11:14:48 6,654 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    If 3D Land is anything to go by, this one shouldn't be a walk in the park. 3D Land wasn't the toughest Mario game, but it got quite tricky towards the end!
    I thought the special worlds were pretty difficult tbh.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 14:51:55
    roz123 wrote:
    I wonder if we will get the legit Tanooki suit this time, they were seriously gimped in 3D Land for camera reasons.
  • JiveHound 16 Jun 2013 16:09:51 2,341 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Very much doubt it. It's all but fixed camera so we probably won't be seeing everyone flying about.

Pity.

• jambii267 22 Jun 2013 14:53:18 1,364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not really much need to fly if you can climb up walls now is there?

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• JiveHound 23 Jun 2013 07:41:31 2,341 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pretty hard to get to Tenerife by climbing walls.

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 18:22:15
    Gameplay Analysis

After initial disillusionment, Im definitely warming up to this now. I never realised there were so many Mario Bros 2 references, cool!

Will be adobting a media blackout from this day forward.
  • Raiko101 2 Jul 2013 21:49:47 6,068 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to this too. I'd much rather a 3D Land sequel than a Galaxy sequel. We've had plenty of Galaxy, which was amazing, but 3D Land felt like it had been cut short and i'm a big fan of that too.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• mikew1985 3 Jul 2013 00:16:38 12,592 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea a sequel to 3D land would be excellent.

On the 3DS.
  • Deckard1 3 Jul 2013 07:43:18 27,182 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah how anyone can be anything other than utterly disgusted with Nintendo for releasing a shitty 3DS port instead of a proper current gen Mario 64 type game is beyond me. It's a complete joke.
  • neilka 3 Jul 2013 07:59:08 15,661 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But it's got cats in it

CATS!
  • DFawkes 3 Jul 2013 08:14:08 22,597 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent news for you then Deckard - it's not a port :) Now you know, you may want to do a little dance. Not too jaunty. A wee bit of jaunt, perhaps.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• RyanDS 3 Jul 2013 08:21:09 9,061 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Yeah how anyone can be anything other than utterly disgusted with Nintendo for releasing a shitty 3DS port instead of a proper current gen Mario 64 type game is beyond me. It's a complete joke.
    A grown man wore cat paws and pretended to scratch another grown man and purred! It is magic and if you don't understand or think that was creepy the YOU HAVE NO SOUL!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e3+nintendo+paws&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ttDTUc-DDpC6hAeWpYGQCg&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=vdDTUaLKBdCChQey3oCoAQ#biv=i%7C1%3Bd%7C7t7AhJaJedHAAM%3A
  • Page

of 38 First / Last