LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (3DS)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Malignant 27 Apr 2013 13:43:13 86 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Couldn't see a thread for this, so I thought I'd start one.

Eurogamer's score of 7/10 seems to be consistent with other reviews. On the GameFAQs boards the opinion seems to be that the reviews were harsh (the US received their copies a week before us) with people saying that it's a great handheld game but they felt that reviewers were too quick to unfairly compare it to it's big brother on the Wii U.

Has anyone got their copy yet? I ordered mine from PC World's website (they're selling it for 24.99) but I haven't even received a despatched email yet. :-(
  • DFawkes 27 Apr 2013 13:53:55 23,290 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do like the sound of all the missions taking part out in the city - I did wish that more LCU had done that as the seperate missions were verging on being not fun at times. I'd have preferred seemless city travel too, but I appreciate how impractical that is. I'm finishing up LCU just now and I'm doing it area by area anyway so in practice it won't be as big a change as I initially though.

As long as there's lots to do like there is in most Lego games it should be fun :) I just don't have the money for it yet, plus I want to 100% LCU first.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• DFawkes 1 May 2013 15:03:49 23,290 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I have this now. I didn't 100% LCU first :p 75% is close enough though, surely?

First off, it's still definitely an alright game. The proper cutscenes are still pretty amusing, but you'll never see that in missions (nothing like McCain and his mid-chase quips). Obviously there are concessions to it being a handheld game. With missions mostly playing out directly in the City, they've pretty much made every district it's own level. This does make the world feel smaller, and a lot closer to a traditional Lego game than LCU, but it's still not a bad thing. Plus some of the interiors from missions in LCU still feature, just as part of the City itself.

There are other bits and bobs, like the loading screens and the draw distance (which in missions really doesn't hurt the game all that much), but the worst change is the combat. There's a lot more of it so far, and enemies take a lot more punishment. It really verges on boring. Even basic enemies need at least 2 counters or attacks before being arrestable.

It's really bizarre - I can see past most of the things that were clearly concessions to get a game of this scope on 3DS, but making fights longer and more tedious isn't down to any technical issues, it's a design decision that I genuinely don't understand the reasoning for. It pads the game a little bit, but not much.

I'm not far into the game anyway, so maybe they need it even more for padding as time goes on. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game and I'l enjoy playing through, but why they didn't stick with LCU combat I have no idea.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:04:26 01-05-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Malignant 2 May 2013 16:15:31 86 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for the impressions.

I'm still waiting for PC World to despatch mine. So I've just sent them an email asking them what's going on. :mad:

Serves me right for trying to buy it 5 cheaper. :(
  • DFawkes 5 May 2013 21:48:47 23,290 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A couple of additional things to add, now I've finished the story.

First, the main story mode is fairly short, at around 5-6 hours. That's just for the missions without any messing around. You do get accustomed to the combat and it really isn't that bad, just not as good as LCU. It being short is a good thing though, as much like LCU it's after the missions that the game really comes alive :)

When you finally get to do your own thing with the full compliment of powers it's just as much fun as LCU, or indeed any Lego game. Studs, bricks, missions for every disguise type and stuff to build will keep you going for ages! I really is very enjoyable when you're messing around doing what you want with the stuff you can unlock.

Also worth noting, and something I didn't realise, is it's not the whole City from LCU - it's only 7 areas. Don't get me wrong, it's still huge, and those 7 areas are still pretty massive. It certainly doesn't feel like a small game, so if you haven't played LCU it'll feel pretty big. The areas that are in are really dense with very little wasted space, and are remixed from the LCU layouts much like Liberty City Stories.

So once you've done the story it's a great game, much like LCU. I do hope you enjoy it once you get it Malignant, once PC World stop dragging their heels.

• Malignant 7 May 2013 15:33:57 86 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

PC World finally got back to me to say that it's not in stock, and that they have no idea when it will be. :confused:

And to top it off they've already taken my money. :mad:

Hmm, do I wait it out (seeing as they're still much cheaper than elsewhere) or ask for my money back?

I'm tempted to give it another week (as I'm in no rush) but it really annoys me that they've taken my money regardless. :mad:
  • DFawkes 7 May 2013 16:17:56 23,290 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is pretty unacceptable. Toy R Us was doing to for 30 with a free Torch. No idea how cheap that is, I went and paid the Impatience Tax at GAME ;) I know it's more than you paid but at least they should actually have it.

• Malignant 31 May 2013 10:34:19 86 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I ordered this on the 24th April and it finally arrived yesterday (30th May).

That's a long wait just to save 7. :|

Managed to find some time last night to play the first mission and I'm liking it so far. I'm really impressed with the 3D effect too (I'm easily pleased). :lol:
  • Raiko101 31 May 2013 12:34:37 6,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just ordered this myself. It was between this and Castlevania, and I thought this would be best value for money. I'm now completely broke, but i've got more than enough to keep me occupied over the summer. :D

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 31 May 2013 13:25:11 23,290 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I absolutely loved it all. Even did 100%, as it's fun to just charge around as you've got the TV on in the background. The things that make it different to the Wii U one keep it feeling a lot fresher than I thought it would. Infinite Dynamite with the Miner is nice, even if you need to use it a lot less often :)

• Malignant 3 Jun 2013 10:03:13 86 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Played this game a lot over the weekend and I love it (and this is coming from someone who also enjoys the Wii U version too). The 3D effect looks great, it works really well in an open world environment.

I think some online reviews were a little harsh, as this is a wonderful little handheld game. :cool:
  • DFawkes 3 Jun 2013 10:38:36 23,290 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The main thing for me is that it generally feels like a more traditional Lego game with large, open levels rather than a proper open-world game, but those levels are all fairly big and packed with stuff to do so, whilst a different experience to the Wii U version, it's still a lot of fun. The 3D really makes it feel a bit more alive too, and the Lego art style works quite well with it.

Glad it finally arrived for you Malignant, even if it did take weeks :)

• Raiko101 3 Jun 2013 11:10:06 6,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well you sold it to me DFawkes, so it better be good. Otherwise I might cry.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DUFFMAN5 17 Aug 2013 07:30:47 14,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps has anyone finished with their copy of the gameand fancy a trade for my CODE for Animal Crossing New Leaf, I will also add 5 via paypal,covering your p&p. If you do, pm me please.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 1

Previous Next