Warning: You may be a moron

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • JinTypeNoir 24 Apr 2013 20:01:47 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, Jason Schreier of Kotaku certainly is.

Dragon's Crown is coming out this summer on the PS3 and Vita. It is a 2D hack and slash brawler in the grand tradition of stuff like Knights of the Round, Golden Axe, Shadows over Mystara or Guardian Heroes. It takes everything to the nth degree in terms of character and environmental design, like much of Vanillaware's games.

It has six playable characters to choose from. the wizard like this.

as this article helpfully points out some of the latest history and art homages in his work.

Kamitani also loves to provoke, so he left a reply to Kotaku's article on Facebook, a reply in the form of a humorous picture.

Cue endless internet whining on how immature Kamitani is, not Schreier, but Kamitani.

I have a public service announcement. If you are on Kotaku's side on this, there is a high chance you are a moron. People who claim Kamitani's reply is clearly an attack on Schreier saying he is gay have just as clearly lost their mind. Whatever Kamitani is trying to say with his reply, only two things can be gleaned from it:

1) It's a reference to a character and style that exists within Dragon's Crown

2) It is, like the sorceress, highly exaggerated for effect

That's all. Any asinine sociological message you may take from the sorceress or Kamitani's reply are your hangups. There are real examples of sexism and misogyny in the game industry. Dragon's Crown is not a good target to direct for any of it. (It's like attacking Starship Troopers for heavy violence.) Claiming the high ground on this game as if to not be offended is to be homophobic or blind to sexism is perhaps the stupidest thing I've heard all year in this stupid, scandal-ridden industry.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 20:02:54
    What if you don't give a fuck either way? What then?
  • Deckard1 24 Apr 2013 20:03:24 27,263 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No one gives a fuck Brian
  • neilka 24 Apr 2013 20:03:25 15,678 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    MORON
  • Chopsen 24 Apr 2013 20:05:35 15,739 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're a 14 year old boy, aren't you?
  • JinTypeNoir 24 Apr 2013 20:08:08 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    You may be a cow, a tea cosy or a potato. Contact me to find out. Standard phone rates may apply.
  • Whizzo 24 Apr 2013 20:10:38 43,038 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What are you if you just think the art is rubbish?

This space left intentionally blank.

• nickthegun 24 Apr 2013 20:11:01 58,907 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another xenophobic attack on western journalism. Disgusting.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 24 Apr 2013 20:12:17 58,907 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also this:

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JinTypeNoir 24 Apr 2013 20:14:35 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    A recycle bin.

Tycho, from Penny Arcade's comment, to go with the above strip:
    Apparently [Dragon's Crown]’s not everybody’s heartsong! That’s what I read. They don’t like the game’s ridiculously, freakishly, borderline scarily rendered “woman” and to a certain extent I can understand why.

You probably don’t have to guess how I feel about this latest round of compulsory swaying and fainting, so much like an old timey Tent Revival, complete with its hopping devil and its perpetually put upon holy warriors. But let’s try to look at what’s actually here on the plate.

What would Vanillaware do with something that isn’t as readily interpreted through a cultural lens, say, a piece of text like the words “Dragon’s Crown”? I’m connected to a global network whose language is light; it’s not hard to find out.

I think it’s fair to say that if it weren’t for the words “Dragon’s Crown” etched at the bottom, many people wouldn’t understand that they were looking at language. Imagine the same refracting prism applied to people, and actually you don’t have to imagine it, because that’s literally the whole game.

The only characters here who aren’t fucking mutants are the Elf and the Wizard, who are there to calibrate the player; everybody else is some fun-house exponent of strength or beauty stretched into some haunted sigil. Iconic isn’t even the word - they don’t evoke icons, they are icons. They’re humans as primal symbols.

It’s very weird to pull up a story about a game with frankly visionary art and hear why it shouldn’t exist, or to hear what I supposedly fantasize about, or what kind of power I supposedly revere, and any attempt to defend oneself from these psychotic projections or to assert that creators may create is evidence of a dark seed sprouting in the heart. It’s an incredible state of affairs. They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.
    Edited by JinTypeNoir at 20:15:37 24-04-2013
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 20:16:34
    Bet he's still able to make a point in less that five thousand fucking words though. Tool.
  • Dougs 24 Apr 2013 20:16:46 66,726 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hatstand. Totally hat stand
  • M83J01P97 24 Apr 2013 20:19:53 6,553 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Everyone knows holding a magical staff with your sphincter is the only way to correctly cast spells. So I see nothing wrong here... It's just a shame Harry Potter didn't learn this lesson.
  • lordofthedunce 24 Apr 2013 20:23:04 375 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    'you may be a moron'

like I need an invitation
  • Whizzo 24 Apr 2013 20:25:07 43,038 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    A recycle bin.
    Oh a non sequitur, at least it's short.

Edited by Whizzo at 20:25:42 24-04-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Bremenacht 24 Apr 2013 20:26:05 17,614 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Everyone knows holding a magical staff with your sphincter is the only way to correctly cast spells. So I see nothing wrong here... It's just a shame Harry Potter didn't learn this lesson.
    She could hold my magic staff with her cheeks. I wager many a spell would come out, arf arf.
  • neilka 24 Apr 2013 20:42:26 15,678 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    A recycle bin.

Tycho, from Penny Arcade's comment, to go with the above strip:
    Apparently [Dragon's Crown]’s not everybody’s heartsong! That’s what I read. They don’t like the game’s ridiculously, freakishly, borderline scarily rendered “woman” and to a certain extent I can understand why.

You probably don’t have to guess how I feel about this latest round of compulsory swaying and fainting, so much like an old timey Tent Revival, complete with its hopping devil and its perpetually put upon holy warriors. But let’s try to look at what’s actually here on the plate.

What would Vanillaware do with something that isn’t as readily interpreted through a cultural lens, say, a piece of text like the words “Dragon’s Crown”? I’m connected to a global network whose language is light; it’s not hard to find out.

I think it’s fair to say that if it weren’t for the words “Dragon’s Crown” etched at the bottom, many people wouldn’t understand that they were looking at language. Imagine the same refracting prism applied to people, and actually you don’t have to imagine it, because that’s literally the whole game.

The only characters here who aren’t fucking mutants are the Elf and the Wizard, who are there to calibrate the player; everybody else is some fun-house exponent of strength or beauty stretched into some haunted sigil. Iconic isn’t even the word - they don’t evoke icons, they are icons. They’re humans as primal symbols.

It’s very weird to pull up a story about a game with frankly visionary art and hear why it shouldn’t exist, or to hear what I supposedly fantasize about, or what kind of power I supposedly revere, and any attempt to defend oneself from these psychotic projections or to assert that creators may create is evidence of a dark seed sprouting in the heart. It’s an incredible state of affairs. They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.
    why does he write like a cunt
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 20:47:02
    Who cares what anyone from Kotaku thinks?
  • neilka 24 Apr 2013 20:48:20 15,678 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir reads it so he can have an angry wank over people GETTING JAPAN WRONG.
  • Waffleaber 24 Apr 2013 21:05:06 377 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That art-eater article is worthless. It's a fantasy game, they all take at least some inspiration from Greek/Roman art and legend. The Babel tower is interesting but the rest is really reaching.

Also seeing the Templer from Last Crusade as a reference followed by Conan the Barbarian made me laugh pretty hard.
  • grey_matters 24 Apr 2013 21:08:26 3,676 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    'you may be a moron'

like I need an invitation
    :)
  • bobdebob 24 Apr 2013 21:16:29 553 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Couldn't give a shit if the Kotaku article is right or wrong.

The artwork is quite shit to be honest.
  • disusedgenius 24 Apr 2013 21:22:22 5,228 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair, when a guy draws you 3 naked Zangiefs as a rebuttal, there's only one way to take it.
  • jonsaan 24 Apr 2013 21:37:20 25,326 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    To be fair, when a guy draws you 3 naked Zangiefs as a rebuttal, there's only one way to take it.
    Up the arse?

FCUTA!

• President_Weasel 24 Apr 2013 21:51:44 8,984 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That sorceress art looks like it's been made by someone with the mind and hormones of a 13 year old boy and the art skills of someone who is pretty good at drawing.

I'm not sure I feel the need to be all HURGLEBLURGLE! BAN THIS SICK FILTH! RHUBARBRHUBARB! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN? but it does put me off the game a little. Maybe put your tits away, if you're going to do some sorcery? It's not a strip club game, is it, and I've misunderstood?

If you feel I am misunderstanding an important cultural whatever or disrespecting an important artistic artist's importantly artistic art, well that's like, your opinion, man. I'm entitled to mine; I am entitled to feel mild contempt for a childishly oversexualised drawing, and then go about my day.
  • elstoof 24 Apr 2013 21:53:14 6,645 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has George Kamitani got some kind of dirt on you to get so defensive on his his behalf? Is he your uncle? Your pederast?
  • Mr-Brett 24 Apr 2013 21:54:00 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The whole thing is pretty dumb whichever way you look at it.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 21:57:57 6,637 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it's juvenile and shit.

That is literally all the words I have on the subject
  • dominalien 24 Apr 2013 21:59:34 6,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sex sells. The western world tries to pretend it isn't so and we all nod our heads sagely when someone says we should only appreciate women for their brains, but the Japanese have got the right of it. Women are awesome for the way they look and drawn women are even awesomer for the way they can look like no real woman ever would.

PSN: DonOsito

• Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 22:01:03 6,637 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Sex sells. The western world tries to pretend it isn't so and we all nod our heads sagely when someone says we should only appreciate women for their brains, but the Japanese have got the right of it. Women are awesome for the way they look and drawn women are even awesomer for the way they can look like no real woman ever would.
    Not technically true that, many studies show that if 'sex sells' is used out of a logical context or is too overt, it has the opposite effect as men find it insulting.

So nyer.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous