Rock Prodigy - Alternative to Rocksmith?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Pinky_Floyd 21 Apr 2013 22:52:16 7,679 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unfortunately no trial :(

Apparently an IOS app has been around for a while but this has just been released for Windows.  I found out about it as Fender are sponsering the launch and I saw one of their tweets.

Was intrigued so had a look.  Ended up buying the fooking thing after investigating and found the 70% off launch offer a bit good, so the whole 4 course pack cost me 40 quid.  Cheaper than Rocksmith and cable cost me!

It kinda feels like the polar opposite of Rocksmith.  Where RS is all 'gamey' with some instruction thrown in, RP is much more lesson and exercise focused yet uses the mechanics of a game throughout.

It uses standard tab layout which thankfully doesn't use colours and is far more readable than RS's frankly poor effort.  Simplicity really is best.

You can just.plug your guitar straight in to the mic port on your pc and that's all you need.  I have a vox tonelab ex hooked up to my pc and RP works flawlessly with that.

Unlike the pc demo of RS that I tried, RP has no latency when using my tonelab, brilliant stuff.

Progress is tracked online. 

Unlike the IOS version there are no licensed tracks on there but as the ios app has them surely its only a matter of time.

I spent an hour with it tonight and came away bloody impressed.

It does do 'gamey' things like score your performance etc. 

I had RS for the ps3 and thought it was fun, though seriously flawed both in its UI and as a learning tool.

RP seems to be a serious learning tool.

I've been playing 4 years and could probably skip the first two courses and just do the last two.

If they sort out licensing for songs I will be all over them like a rash, until then there are some smashing lessons and exercises to work my way through along with non licensed milestone tracks to play along to.

If you are a learning guitarist with a pc, I definitely think you should have a look at it.

Linky:

http://www.rockprodigy.com/

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 22:54:06 21-04-2013
  • StixxUK 22 Apr 2013 11:12:15 7,244 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This looks really cool apart from it requires at least Windows 7 and I'm on Vista (although with W8 upgrade ready to be installed).

I'd much rather if there was a demo as well so I can see how well it works before spending 60 dollars on it.

Most of the feedback I've heard is positive though. I have a line6 Pod studio GX, wonder if it'll work with that...
  • THFourteen 22 Apr 2013 11:14:47 33,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmm, colour me interested.

Can someone restring my guitar for me though, i never learned how :-(
  • ZuluHero 22 Apr 2013 11:17:36 4,099 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

EDIT: Never watched it - but there are loads of videos :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 11:18:08 22-04-2013
  • dsmx 22 Apr 2013 11:17:40 7,589 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure there's a guide on youtube for that.

edit: lol someone actually posted it in the 4 secodns it took me to post this comment.

Edited by dsmx at 11:18:13 22-04-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Pinky_Floyd 22 Apr 2013 19:53:05 7,679 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did a proper write up on my blog with some screens and even managed to get the devs to answer a few questions. 

http://www.grayhairedgamer.co.uk/index.php/blog/2013/04/rock-prodigy-a-serious-alternative-to-rocksmith-includes-short-qa-with-developers

I keep calling it a game but I don't think it is really, just a force of habit cos I'm looking at it from both a gamers perspective and a guitarists perspective!

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 20:00:27 22-04-2013

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 21:57:35 23-04-2013
  • StixxUK 22 Apr 2013 20:20:29 7,244 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice article. Their comment about "making it compatible with amp modelling software in future" makes me think it probably won't work then for the time being!
  • Pinky_Floyd 22 Apr 2013 20:27:59 7,679 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Nice article. Their comment about "making it compatible with amp modelling software in future" makes me think it probably won't work then for the time being!
    I've no amp modelling software on my pc to check but it works a treat with my vox tonelab.

They do of course have their own in built non tweakable guitar sounds.

Must check that out a bit more as addicted to the amp sims on the tonelab!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next