The Evil WIthin

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
  • NOSAVIOUR 19 Apr 2013 13:25:39 2,804 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks studio

    Don't know why they bother revealing games with no actual gameplay. Looks like a great return to horror though.
  • Baihu1983 19 Apr 2013 13:33:41 3,430 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That live action vid is rather fucked up
  • Adamical 19 Apr 2013 13:42:14 314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh this looks brilliant.
  • the_dudefather 19 Apr 2013 13:45:39 9,288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

    (ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

  • senso-ji 19 Apr 2013 13:46:33 5,896 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Am excited. Mikami is one of the best developers around. Shame this will be his last game as a director, so hopefully it will be a goo done.
  • Adamical 19 Apr 2013 13:47:35 314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really hope this is proper survival horror.
  • fletch7100 19 Apr 2013 15:38:26 7,308 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    more pics









    Edited by fletch7100 at 15:45:36 19-04-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Apr 2013 15:40:11 17,051 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    That live action vid is rather fucked up
    The person making the barbed wire might want to go and get a fresh tetanus inoculation.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • mikeck 19 Apr 2013 16:06:09 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want to really love this so am not making any judgements until...well, until I play the game, but when the screenshots all show the character holding/firing a gun at enemies it makes me think this isn't going to be a proper survival horror.

    I know RE and SH games utilise guns etc , but Silent Hill for example is far better when you're panicking and only have melee weapons to hand.
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2013 16:08:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's only pointing a gun in 2 screens.
  • JinTypeNoir 19 Apr 2013 16:23:38 4,386 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mwa meh muh, it isn't survival horror if its action, deeeerp. Not 10 posts in and its already started. I swear, lately its worse than the "what is an RPG?" debate.

    It's Shinji Mikami when he seems to be really involved. Goof Troop, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Remake, PN07, Resident Evil 4, Godhand and Vanquish. When he's not just a producer, he never fails at making something that is really unique and interesting. If he's interested in doing horror again, it'll probably be more interesting than anything anyone else is doing in the AAA horror market right now simply because you can bet it won't quite be anything like you'd expect. Whether that's a more action-oriented (well, I know it isn't, but I'll feign ignorance right now for the sake of the argument) idea or something closer to what he did before in the earlier Resident Evil games, its bound to be weird, shocking and memorable.
  • Bulbatron 19 Apr 2013 16:25:06 836 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's hard to tell at this early stage, but the trailer looks interesting. I don't mind at all if the game features some Resident Evil 4/5/6-style gunplay, as long as the horror is there. The over-the-shoulder style gunplay doesn't automatically denote high-action gameplay. It looks like there's going to be some sneaking as well, which could be goid.

    Wow - what a mansion!

  • King_Edward 19 Apr 2013 16:35:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have faith in Mikami. I have less faith in Bethesda.
  • mikeck 19 Apr 2013 16:37:45 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ronuds I did say holding as well, and it's clear from his posture he's holding/carrying one in every shot no?

    - Not that it matters, I was merely making a point from very little information ;)

    Edited by mikeck at 16:39:43 19-04-2013
  • mikeck 19 Apr 2013 16:38:23 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @King_Edward Heh, I think I'm the other way round :)
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2013 16:41:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @ronuds I did say holding as well, and it's clear from his posture he's holding/carrying one in every shot no?

    - Not that it matters, I was merely making a point from very little information ;)
    I'd expect him to carry a gun throughout the game.
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2013 16:41:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I have faith in Mikami. I have less faith in Bethesda.
    Bethesda is one of the few good ones left!

    ...bugs aside.
  • mikeck 19 Apr 2013 16:49:48 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    @ronuds I did say holding as well, and it's clear from his posture he's holding/carrying one in every shot no?

    - Not that it matters, I was merely making a point from very little information ;)
    I'd expect him to carry a gun throughout the game.
    Missed point entirely.

    That was my issue, I don't want that to be the case. I want a proper survival horror with little reliance on guns, else this'll become another RE4, 5 or 6 (not that I minded those games, but they're not survival horror games).
  • neilka 19 Apr 2013 16:52:13 15,900 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not another Goof Troop clone.

    A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

  • ronuds 19 Apr 2013 16:54:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    @ronuds I did say holding as well, and it's clear from his posture he's holding/carrying one in every shot no?

    - Not that it matters, I was merely making a point from very little information ;)
    I'd expect him to carry a gun throughout the game.
    Missed point entirely.

    That was my issue, I don't want that to be the case. I want a proper survival horror with little reliance on guns, else this'll become another RE4, 5 or 6 (not that I minded those games, but they're not survival horror games).
    Should the gun magically vanish into thin air and then re-materialize only for the moments when you need it?
  • mikeck 19 Apr 2013 16:56:12 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    @ronuds I did say holding as well, and it's clear from his posture he's holding/carrying one in every shot no?

    - Not that it matters, I was merely making a point from very little information ;)
    I'd expect him to carry a gun throughout the game.
    Missed point entirely.

    That was my issue, I don't want that to be the case. I want a proper survival horror with little reliance on guns, else this'll become another RE4, 5 or 6 (not that I minded those games, but they're not survival horror games).
    Should the gun magically vanish into thin air and then re-materialize only for the moments when you need it?
    Still missing the point.
  • King_Edward 19 Apr 2013 17:12:35 11,454 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    I have faith in Mikami. I have less faith in Bethesda.
    Bethesda is one of the few good ones left!

    ...bugs aside.
    This, I can't agree with. They sell empty space. Broken empty space at that. :)

    Edited by King_Edward at 17:12:47 19-04-2013
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2013 17:18:13 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    Still missing the point.
    I think you're missing my point: Carrying =/= using or needing.
  • mikeck 19 Apr 2013 17:24:51 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    Still missing the point.
    I think you're missing my point: Carrying =/= using or needing.
    I clearly don't know what the fuck we're on about now... o_O You win.

    I was trying to simply make a point that i didn't want too much gunplay in the game, and probably caused you to think I was obsessing about when, or where, he's seen carrying a gun. I don't care about that. I just don't want an over reliance on teh gunz!!

    Apologies for being a confusing twat.
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2013 17:27:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I get that and have the entire time - I just don't see the overwhelming evidence of it from these screenshots that you do.

    Doesn't mean you aren't right. :p
  • fletch7100 19 Apr 2013 19:21:04 7,308 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    More info from C&VG

    Shinji Mikami's The Evil Within is developed using id Tech 5, according to Bethesda's Japanese website for the game.

    The site also reveals a number of additional plot and gameplay details from the game. According to Gematsu, which has translated the text, The Evil Within is centered around Detective Sebastian and his partner, who attend the scene of a mass murder and find a powerful, mysterious force lying in wait.

    Sebastian, along with other police offers at the scene, are attacked and lose consciousness, eventually waking up in a world inhabited by monsters. Sebastian must figure out what happened and find a way out, but will need to face his own fears in order to do so.

    Bethesda's blog talks up Mikami's involvement, describing him as the "father of the survival horror genre" and describes a game very much in line with traditional survival horror conventions.

    "Players must survive on limited resources, experiencing that supreme match of action and horror, that indescribable terror. To survive in an afflicted world, your anxiety and nerves will be pushed to the edge."

    Traps are seemingly a key part of gameplay, both in survival and combat: "You'll have to face indescribable terror, cruel traps, and sly mechanisms. Players can die in a trap all too easily, however, at times they can turn them against enemies"

    Finally, the site describes a world that "distorts and warps according to mysterious and evil horrors".

    "The scenery: hallways, walls, doors, rooms, buildings, and even nature, all transforming in real time based on the player's actions. And the threats keep coming from all directions."
  • GuiltySpark 19 Apr 2013 19:41:34 6,382 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are Bethesda and Shinji Mikami a usual combination? Seems a bit strange.

    Get bent.

  • ecureuil 19 Apr 2013 20:09:12 76,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks like Resident Evil 4 with better graphics.
  • ubergine 20 Apr 2013 14:01:04 2,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If the game is half as good as Resident Evil 4, then it will be Resident Evil 5.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply