Boston Marathon Page 28

  • Page

    of 31 First / Last

  • cubbymoore 22 Apr 2013 21:42:31 36,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stefansen-W wrote:
    English is a simple language. Maybe it's for this reason English became the official language of the world.

    I studied English at school level, but unfortunately in Italy not all yet know English well
    Interesting and relevant anecdote. Thanks!

    Edited by cubbymoore at 21:43:07 22-04-2013
  • Stefansen-W 22 Apr 2013 21:46:26 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Regarding the invasion of Iraq
    I advise you to read the deal Nigergate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_uranium_forgeries

    where SISMI (Italian secret service) produced false documents, and British secret services did not notice anything, passing all the information to the Americans
  • Lukus 22 Apr 2013 21:46:59 19,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't be bothered. Thanks though.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • neilka 22 Apr 2013 21:51:28 16,527 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't there still a Nigergate at all Italian football stadiums?

    BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

  • Stefansen-W 22 Apr 2013 21:52:19 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Stefansen-W wrote:
    English is a simple language. Maybe it's for this reason English became the official language of the world.

    I studied English at school level, but unfortunately in Italy not all yet know English well
    Interesting and relevant anecdote. Thanks!
    I am pleased. I have a lot of anecdotes, you know?
    For example, don't ask me how, I might get British citizenship if I were to ask it
  • superdelphinus 22 Apr 2013 21:56:29 8,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    english became the language of the world because at a key point in the grass shoots of globalisation we were utterly dominating the globe. hard to believe when you look at the state of things now
  • Stefansen-W 22 Apr 2013 21:58:14 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ka-blamo
    try to learn Italian and German. Then we'll talk again
  • Dirtbox 22 Apr 2013 21:58:41 79,176 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't remember England conquering Italy? Although it's not much of a shock, the greasy mother boy faggits.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • superdelphinus 22 Apr 2013 22:00:09 8,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i guess english is ok in terms of being able to be understood - very hard to master to the extent of absolute fluency though. Even people who have lived here for a long time get little things wrong which gives it away
  • superdelphinus 22 Apr 2013 22:00:46 8,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I don't remember England conquering Italy? Although it's not much of a shock, the greasy mother boy faggits.
    italy shot their bolt too early though really
  • Dirtbox 22 Apr 2013 22:03:19 79,176 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We should have turned it into a carpark. Hell, the Germans did.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • LeoliansBro 22 Apr 2013 22:15:36 44,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stefansen-W wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Stefansen-W wrote:
    English is a simple language. Maybe it's for this reason English became the official language of the world.

    I studied English at school level, but unfortunately in Italy not all yet know English well
    Interesting and relevant anecdote. Thanks!
    I am pleased. I have a lot of anecdotes, you know?
    For example, don't ask me how, I might get British citizenship if I were to ask it
    Hahaha!

    'I have many stories to tell. For example, here's one I can't tell you.'

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Stefansen-W 22 Apr 2013 22:18:07 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    We should have turned it into a carpark. Hell, the Germans did.
    Are you talking about WWII?
    You're wrong. The project was to transform England in a big prison. The luck of the United Kingdom was that it had to fight alongside the U.S. and it had against Italy. Imagine the opposite. Italy as an ally and the U.S. as an enemy.
    Do you think that you would have won anyway?

    But that's another story, one day, in a separate thread, I will explain better to you how are the facts
  • cubbymoore 22 Apr 2013 22:19:47 36,504 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No no, this is about as relevant a thread as you're going to find. Spill.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2013 22:24:11
    Bearing in mind his previous random definition of terrorist, I'm willing to bet he's using the word "ask" in lieu of the word "apply".
  • Stefansen-W 22 Apr 2013 22:34:20 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Germany lost the war for 3 reasons.

    -It was not able to bend england at the right time
    -Nazi military leaders preferred to give too much importance to the Nazi ideology rather than focusing cynically on the war
    -the allies of Germany did not stand up with Germany. The allies could not support it adequately

    Then there are many tactical mistakes made ​​by German generals in several battles. The battle of El Alamein was perhaps more decisive battle respect to Stalingrad. If the Germans and Italians had won, then they could easily invade Russia with pincer movement.
    Morover if the Germans had had more time they could better develop secret weapons as V1 and V2 and bombed England and the U.S. Army stationed in England.

    But the history is not made with if and buts
  • superdelphinus 22 Apr 2013 22:35:54 8,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bend england at the right time eh?

    wtf
  • superdelphinus 22 Apr 2013 22:37:32 8,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ww2 has almost nothing to do with anything on this thread though as far as I can see
  • Lukus 22 Apr 2013 22:42:27 19,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WMDs?

    Paintings & Photographs

  • superdelphinus 22 Apr 2013 22:44:44 8,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    weapons of bend destruction
  • Trowel 22 Apr 2013 22:45:21 18,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm on a boat motherfucker.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Apr 2013 22:57:57 44,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey, Stefansen. Genuine question: how do you feel about the electoral chaos in Italy? The fact that you've asked an 87 year old desperate to retire to be President again because he was the only person anyone could agree on, and the fifth choice?

    How do you feel about Berlusconi trying to curry favour with the political elite and. pretend he's a relevant political force and not an international laughing stock dodging the four ongoing criminal trials against him?

    How do you feel about the fact that your most successful current politician is a professional comedian turned agitator without a single genuine electoral success to his name?

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • LeoliansBro 22 Apr 2013 22:59:44 44,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh and where were the Italians victorious in WW2 again? Best shot they had at success was being gloriously killed by the British in North Africa.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 22 April 2013 23:06:29
    Also, what is your favourite book?
  • ComradePete 22 Apr 2013 23:18:23 494 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stefansen-W wrote:
    Germany lost the war for 3 reasons.

    -It was not able to bend england at the right time
    -Nazi military leaders preferred to give too much importance to the Nazi ideology rather than focusing cynically on the war
    -the allies of Germany did not stand up with Germany. The allies could not support it adequately

    Then there are many tactical mistakes made ​​by German generals in several battles. The battle of El Alamein was perhaps more decisive battle respect to Stalingrad. If the Germans and Italians had won, then they could easily invade Russia with pincer movement.
    Morover if the Germans had had more time they could better develop secret weapons as V1 and V2 and bombed England and the U.S. Army stationed in England.

    But the history is not made with if and buts
    Sorry but that's all bollocks.

    Basically Germany lost the war because it simply couldn't match the forces ranged against it by its opponents.

    Once they had failed to knock out the Soviets in one campaign the game was up. They just didn't have the resources the allies had.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Apr 2013 23:25:53 35,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    English is not an easy language, who told you that? It's famously fucking Confusing

    It's easy if it's the only language you speak and have ever known/learnt.
    What a ridiculous article, most of that is true for any language.
  • FWB 22 Apr 2013 23:32:08 45,579 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having taught it for years, English isn't necessarily easy to learn, but it's also not that difficult. To get to an intermediate level doesn't take took long, but advancing from there does. As Lou says, the same as most languages. To name a few areas where it is a piece of piss... gender (or lack of), syntax and conjugation. It's also everywhere. Bloody everywhere. So, so many opportunities to practise it, but also numerous forms, meaning that people can take control of the language once they learn it. English teaching is descriptive. Not prescriptive, meaning much is up to the speaker to decide. That's the great thing about it being universally ADOPTED. And I stress that word for a reason.

    That article linked has some valid points, though some I'd question as being an issue. But I also don't think they are that difficult to overcome. Of course that also depends on what your first language is. Still plenty of other languages with those "problems".

    Edited by FWB at 23:36:42 22-04-2013
  • Stefansen-W 23 Apr 2013 18:28:42 46 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Hey, Stefansen. Genuine question: how do you feel about the electoral chaos in Italy? The fact that you've asked an 87 year old desperate to retire to be President again because he was the only person anyone could agree on, and the fifth choice?

    How do you feel about Berlusconi trying to curry favour with the political elite and. pretend he's a relevant political force and not an international laughing stock dodging the four ongoing criminal trials against him?

    How do you feel about the fact that your most successful current politician is a professional comedian turned agitator without a single genuine electoral success to his name?
    I am an optimistic person. Italy is a strange country, you have to live there to understand. Who you call comic, he's the most earnest politician in Italy. He is trying to reform a ruling class now old and unable. A political class that for twenty years has been stained with corruption, incompetence and mismanagement. Perhaps it is true that he isn't still able to govern the country alone. But it is a movement that is growing, its task is not to govern but to control the transparency of the work of the political institutions and the work of politicians.
    Berlusconi now represents only a minority of the country
  • Page

    of 31 First / Last

Log in or register to reply