• glaeken 16 Apr 2013 14:11:41 11,266 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Engage Roy Walker mode

it's good but it's not right
  • ronuds 16 Apr 2013 14:50:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I expect they'll catch him/them very quickly.
  • Khanivor 16 Apr 2013 14:50:39 41,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've lived on five different continents and visited many countries in the world. I've never had people say things to me which have made me go o_0 as I have had here in the states, (although some Scottish drunks have borne the standard well). I think the point about a common language is good as is the point that Americans tend to be a very open people. British folk are known for being the opposite so if there wasn't a disparity then if be really scared of folks back in the UK.

Saying that, I've heard some nutty shit from Arab folk too. I think they and Americans have a lot more in common than either realise; out there explanations for how the world works seem common.

At the end if the day though, unles that person lives their life with malice and fear I don't much give a fuck if they think something retarded is real. My ma's a priest. I suppose that has helped a lot in this regard ;)
  • pistol 16 Apr 2013 14:53:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I was genuinely expecting to see a lot of morbidly obese people in New York, but if anything they looked fitter than folk in your average British city.
    Try Texas..I think it's becoming more and more well known for fatties. NY is just as cosmopolitan as any other major city and I can't remember seeing many fatties the last time I was there.
  • ronuds 16 Apr 2013 14:53:55 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    I expect they'll catch him/them very quickly.
    What makes you say that?
    Too many clues. They've got the unexploded bombs, cell phone records, video cameras everywhere.

I give him a day or two.
  • glaeken 16 Apr 2013 14:54:12 11,266 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ka-blamo I don't see that is has to be anyone at this stage. Those inspired by Al Qaeda have carried out some pretty half arsed attacks and this seems to have been very successful in say comparison to the Glasgow airport attack. Al Qaeda don't have a standard MO. Itís a loosely affiliated group of nut jobs with highly varying degrees of competence.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Apr 2013 14:54:37 26,607 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some fat, lonely nutjob, still smarting at a black president and legal gays, signalling the start of his one man "New American Revolution" on Patriots Day in Boston.

Probably.
  • Tom_Servo 16 Apr 2013 14:54:50 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll be honest, I would've said "very quickly" would've been in the 24 hours after the event. It's very difficult to get away with something like this in this day and age though, so they'll be caught sooner or later (unless it was a proper trained professional, but I doubt that).
  • Khanivor 16 Apr 2013 14:55:21 41,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Come visit Tennessee and see the open range fatties that roam the walmarts and fast food restaurants. Marvel at the motorized shopping carts which have thrice the room for their human cargo as the shopping.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Apr 2013 15:30:46 39,765 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Florida. I loved it there but the people I saw (outside of the tourist traps) were either massively obese, batshit insane or both.

It made me feel so much better about myself.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• rudedudejude 16 Apr 2013 15:30:50 2,254 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know that it's that hard to get away with it. If no-one owns up, and there's little footage recorded of shady people at an event as large as this I'd imagine it's probably quite straighforward.

Just lock yourself in a shed somewhere for 6 months with a good supply of twinkies.
  • Salaman 16 Apr 2013 15:47:33 19,606 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Bollocks, there is only so much that can be done at these events without going completely overkill and killing these events due to cost and police resources. It is too easy to point fingers in hindsight. If there is one thing they have learned from 9/11 it is that there is only so much they can do without completely shutting down.
    To be fair Americans weren't subjected to a long campaign of bombings in their major cities mostly funded via Boston, so they aren't as used to dealing with this shit as the UK.
    Remember when there were no bins in Paris for a few years?
    That was fun.
  • superdelphinus 16 Apr 2013 15:59:27 8,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've only just started to get bins of some description back on our train station platforms
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Apr 2013 16:03:20 25,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I get the train daily and the lack of bins is incredibly annoying.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• ronuds 16 Apr 2013 16:17:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Must be a lot of litter? Not that having bins makes much difference.
  • superdelphinus 16 Apr 2013 16:20:20 8,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weirdly it's not too bad usually - there are people who wonder around with big trolley things constantly picking litter up. I think most people save it all for the trains, the bins in them always seem rammed! We've started getting see through ones up in the north now, not sure about elsewhere though I go to euston quite a lot and I don't think they have any there
  • macmurphy 16 Apr 2013 16:22:07 999 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ronuds. You just get used to it mate. It's annoying, but at food places with tables they come and collect the rubbish. There are bins on the train when you get on. you just end up carrying it for a bit until you get far enough from the station for the bins to reappear. There are of course litter sweepers working at the station. It's like going through airports now and all the ballache of security - it's a pain in the arse but it beats the shit out of the alternative.
  • ronuds 16 Apr 2013 16:26:13 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I guess you learn to make do. Unless you're a natural born litterer - in which case it's business as usual. :p

Just saw they evacuated LaGuardia Airport in NY over a suspicious package. Good grief!
  • TheRealBadabing 16 Apr 2013 18:07:13 1,366 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:It's like going through airports now and all the ballache of security - it's a pain in the arse but it beats the shit out of the alternative.
    Nope, all "enhanced" airport security does is give passengers a false sense of safety. Not a single potential threat has been stopped by all the batshit crazy stuff (eg. full body scans) that has been introduced. Nothing that could not have been dealt with by the existing measures that seemed to do a pretty good job while we were under real threat from well-trained domestic terrorists.

Thousands of innocent people treated like criminals but having to take a four year old's shoes off at security gives some people a safe, warm, fuzzy feeling so it's all OK.
  • Khanivor 16 Apr 2013 18:17:57 41,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I was read a Cracked article that said the reason Richard Reid couldn't ignite his shoe bomb was because he was sweating so much. Sweating from nerves after having been stopped from boarding the day before for looking Muslim and shifty as fuck. So the enhanced security could be said to have stopped one attack, even if rather indirectly.
  • TheRealBadabing 16 Apr 2013 18:23:24 1,366 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    While an amusing story, that's still not enhanced security. He would have been stopped by the same guard for the same reason 15 years ago.
  • FWB 16 Apr 2013 18:24:59 45,613 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably not allowed to use anti-perspirant cos it was haram.
  • Khanivor 16 Apr 2013 18:25:20 41,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was heightened security - the sort that seems to have got a few panties bunched up - as he tried his luck a couple of months after 9/11.

I agree all the fancy gubbins is for state of mind rather than state of security.
  • Rusty_M 16 Apr 2013 18:30:22 4,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're right about the security. I wish I could remember where I read an article about one of the most under-threat airports in the world's security measures.

It didn't involve all of the fancy stuff we have here, and it is apparently effective.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• ronuds 16 Apr 2013 18:30:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In my mind, heightened security has only meant that you have to take your shoes off. Otherwise, very little has changed. Of course, I always went/go out of NY airports, where they've probably had as much security as you're going to find.

I snuck a pair of scissors through, though. Well, I didn't know they weren't permitted and nobody said anything until I was coming back. Kentucky airport made me throw them out.
  • DaM 16 Apr 2013 18:31:16 13,530 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be fair, if I was planning to blow myself up with a shoe bomb, I might be in slight less than top form.

I have a friend who works at the airport, doing the bags, scanners. The only iffy thing she's ever found was an old lady with a sword in her walking stick. For protection against muggers.
  • cubbymoore 16 Apr 2013 18:33:56 36,505 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It probably has helped. Just because terrorists haven't been caught at those checks, doesn't mean that they haven't acted as a deterrent.
  • Page

of 31 First / Last