Room 237 Ė The Shining documentary

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 18:29:10
    Iím midway through Room 237 (Wiki) and Iím 95% cynical of everything thatís being said, it sounds like nonsense. Iím not saying Kubrick wasnít a genius, he was... Iím just saying that this documentary is shit.

Thoughts?

Have a read of this, too: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/movies/aide-to-kubrick-on-shining-scoffs-at-room-237-theories.html?hp&_r=0

Edited by lukejones at 18:29:25 14-04-2013

Edited by lukejones at 18:29:42 14-04-2013
  • Physically_Insane 14 Apr 2013 18:54:50 9,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seen it before. It was a good watch. What I can recall from it was Stanley was a dick on purpose, or summit.
  • DaM 14 Apr 2013 19:00:52 13,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watched this on a long haul plane last week - it did use up a couple of hours! A combination of bullshit...but you never know with some of it, he did put a huge amount of thought into his films.

Clearly the moon landing one is true :)
  • webespresso 14 Apr 2013 19:58:42 89 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After seeing King's remake of the Shining. I think I prefer Kubrick's version tbh.
  • M83J01P97 14 Apr 2013 20:01:12 6,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    webespresso wrote:
    After seeing King's remake of the Shining. I think I prefer Kubrick's version tbh.
    As any sane person should, and yet, still to this day, King doesn't like the Kubrick version...
  • webespresso 14 Apr 2013 20:20:54 89 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, Kubrick made a lot of alterations from the book so that likely pissed him off a tad.

Edited by webespresso at 20:21:28 14-04-2013
  • Ged42 14 Apr 2013 20:51:27 7,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As a study of Kubrick and his methods the documentary is rubbish. As a study of how insane fanboys are it's good.

Kind of jumped the shark when it went on to the moon landings, I couldn't take anything seriously after that.
  • caligari 14 Apr 2013 20:54:39 17,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was really looking forward to this but found it a little...underwhelming. I thought that the section that revolved around the Native American imagery etc was interesting, though - I was surprised that I'd managed to miss so much of that after my multiple viewings of The Shining.

I know it was made on a budget, but the sound was terrible - barely audible one section and than deafening in others.

On the whole, it was the movie equivalent of one of Niteninja's posts.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 21:06:46
    Thereís a combination of interest points and absolute tripe; an 80/20 split respectively.

Caligari, totally agree with you about the Native American stuff. This drew me into the movie. After that it goes downhill.

These conspiracy theorists are just grasping at straws.

Edit: Iím so disappointed. I had high hopes for this documentary. Glad I didnít head to Watershed to watch it on the big screen. I wouldíve walked out.

Edited by lukejones at 21:07:39 14-04-2013
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 21:16:28
    I haven't seen it, but it's been heavily marketed over here as the theories intentionally being bullshit, that it's a commentary on both the genius of Kubrick and how superfans can massively overread things, combining both into a "something this layered and deep you could reasonably extract almost any theory you want to, here are some of the popular, yet insane, ones" thing.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 21:16:49
    Just finished the documentary.

It reminds me of being in English Literature analysing a book thinking, Ďmaybe the author literally meant what heís written. Why are we wasting our time here?í

Eurgh.
  • M83J01P97 14 Apr 2013 21:20:44 6,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    Just finished the documentary.

It reminds me of being in English Literature analysing a book thinking, Ďmaybe the author literally meant what heís written. Why are we wasting our time here?í

Eurgh.
    The same can be said for pretty much all film and art theory. I studied and sadly "because the director liked the colour red in that particular scene" just doesn't cut it.
  • the_dudefather 14 Apr 2013 21:35:52 9,396 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    [youtube] KmkVWuP_sO0[/youtube]

(ง ͠į ͟ʖ ͡į)

• Deleted user 14 April 2013 21:52:02
    @M83J01P97 Did it ever irk you?

Thereís a segment of Room 237 where one of the interviewees is analysing the birds eye view opening of The Shining and comparing it with the fly-through ending in 2001. I know Kubrick is a genius, but to me there isnít a connection between the two... Theyíre both shot that way for their own reasons...
  • Mola_Ram 15 Apr 2013 04:38:35 8,005 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I saw it as a documentary about film obsession. Are the theories a bit nuts? Yes. But that's kind of the point.

And I don't know why it devalues the process of finding meaning in art in general. Coming up with theories is part of the fun!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 04:45:40 15-04-2013
  • Tiger_Walts 20 Nov 2013 00:32:49 16,615 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just watched this, it's ended up on YouTube.

A real mix of carefully considered interpretation, wild mass guessing, and utter crackpot theory.

My favourite bits are on what may be arguably intentional errors. Parts of the set that don't hold up to scrutiny; the manager office window that can't be and the elevators that don't fit. You could of course contend that it is a compressed version of the hotel, a set built on economy and not authenticity. However, the shots chosen don't try to hide it and maybe it's intentional. Freaky geometry can un-nerve you subliminally.

The reversing of the carpet motif is so obvious it cannot have been an error. Any set dresser worth their salt would have taken a Polaroid of those toys in-situ so that they could be duplicated for the next shot (whichever order they were filmed in). The mis-match of the carpet would not have been missed. The Apollo 11 jumper and the similarity of the carpet pattern to NASA launch sites is grade A conspiracy fuel though. An intentional jibe.

The crushed red VW Beetle as a message to Stephen King, "I killed your story before they even reach the hotel", is also a nice idea.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• mal 20 Nov 2013 04:15:27 22,793 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, just watched it there myself. It's certainly an entertaining set of ideas if you're a fan of the film.

My only issue with it is that it is just those ideas, with very little evaluation of their validity, as you'd expect in a documentary. It does generally show the appropriate scenes as they're being talked about which does knock some of the ideas on the head and reinforces others, but then it also shows clips of other films while people are talking too, and if you don't know the film very well it'd be easy to mistake them for scenes from this film sometimes (especially when it's other Kubrick film clips being shown). And in places it even takes scenes from the film and photoshops them, which is an odd thing to do.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 20 November 2013 20:08:50
    lukejones wrote:
    Iím midway through Room 237 (Wiki) and Iím 95% cynical of everything thatís being said, it sounds like nonsense. Iím not saying Kubrick wasnít a genius, he was... Iím just saying that this documentary is shit.

Thoughts?

Have a read of this, too: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/movies/aide-to-kubrick-on-shining-scoffs-at-room-237-theories.html?hp&_r=0

Edited by lukejones at 18:29:25 14-04-2013
    Thanks, i'm off to YouTube to watch Room 237
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next