Gender equality and earnings in sport Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:17:53 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The fact that women's tennis is so nearly there now shows it can and will happen, but it will take years and years to get there. Things are already very different now to when I was a kid, so at least we're heading in the right direction.
    There is a weird dissonance in something like football. On home games Derby County Ladies stand outside the ground rattling buckets, collecting for the team.

You just cant help but think 'you are attached to a multi-million pound business. Why arent they putting their hands in their pockets?'.

But fair play. There are more there every year so its gaining ground but if most premier league teams cant afford a ladies team, its a proper uphill bettle for them.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:19:11 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bow to your knowledge as a professional sports physiologist. All I know is that I saw something on the discovery channel where some dude said that this tolerance would translate well onto the race track.

He totally called it

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:20:19 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, if there's money to be made from a ladies' team, more clubs will have them. It's a bit of a chicken-egg thing, but again, things are gradually rolling in the right direction.
  • boo 9 Apr 2013 10:20:42 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    (Shooting? I think they're as good at that. Not the biathlon though. Archery, maybe, if you don't worry about the pull weight of the bow.)
    Archery does still have mens & womens competition, but at the Olympics, both genders shoot at 72m, so theoretically you could do away with the four events and just have 'Individual' and 'Team' competitions, and let the best person / team win.

Just Another Lego Blog

• LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 10:22:26 43,170 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I bow to your knowledge as a professional sports physiologist. All I know is that I saw something on the discovery channel where some dude said that this tolerance would translate well onto the race track.
    Alright, alright :p

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:28:51 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The good thing about women's sport is that at its best, it's different to men's. It's not the same but weaker/slower/girlier - it's actually different. Women's tennis can be really enjoyable to watch thanks to its precision and finesse, and it anything it has suffered in recent years with the likes of the WIlliams sisters moving it towards a more "mannish" style.

For that reason I like the idea of some sports being more mixed. I see no real reason for example why women couldn't integrate into men's football. I don't buy the strength argument. There are women players who are easily a physical match for players like Messi or Modric. Again, women have their own skills and abilities that would enrich the men's game imo.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:31:23 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They would be the exception rather than the rule. You would just get a niche of tricky wingers.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 9 Apr 2013 10:37:50 27,069 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Woman's football is hilariously shit. Sorry if that makes me sexist or whatever, but it's true. There certainly wouldn't be any woman troubling even any of the very worst mens teams, and I can't see it ever changing. Certainly not in my life time. Plus they kick the ball weird. No one wants to see that.
  • Latin 9 Apr 2013 10:38:08 3,592 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Messi!? The guy has good strength, he's just short!

I don't really want to google "messi topless" at work but he has a thick set physique and his legs are probably massive!

Why do you think the majority of male players can hardly knock him off the ball? It's not just his low centre of gravity.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread... Carry on!
  • neilka 9 Apr 2013 10:39:08 15,630 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone thought about ladyboys in all this?

WELL HAVE THEY??
  • Chopsen 9 Apr 2013 10:40:16 15,702 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems relevant
  • SparkyMarky81 9 Apr 2013 10:40:16 562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Woman's football is hilariously shit. Sorry if that makes me sexist or whatever, but it's true. There certainly wouldn't be any woman troubling even any of the very worst mens teams, and I can't see it ever changing. Certainly not in my life time. Plus they kick the ball weird. No one wants to see that.
    I have seen some decent outfield players, but what really lets Woman's fotball down is the goalkeepers. They are comically bad!
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:41:19 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Has anyone thought about ladyboys in all this?

WELL HAVE THEY??

Yeah. They quite explicitly arent allowed to play in most major womens sports. the LPGA is quite specific about not letting transgendered players enter.

I assume that was the answer you were looking for.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:41:42 09-04-2013

He totally called it

• nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:42:50 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I have seen some decent outfield players, but what really lets Woman's fotball down is the goalkeepers. They are comically bad!
    Again, your problem is that they are full sized nets and the women arent 6ft+

He totally called it

• neilka 9 Apr 2013 10:44:58 15,630 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nick thinks about ladyboys everyone.
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:45:29 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In physical individual sports women won't be able to compete directly against men, but I don't see why it should be completely discredited as a possibility in a team game like football.

I agree we're a way off yet, but in principle I think the differences in the women's game could be used beneficially in the men's and not just for the sake of it.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Apr 2013 10:46:49 43,170 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's an upbringing thing there as well kal. Not many girls play football from an early age, which seems to be a major factor in adult talent.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:47:30 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, I made that point earlier.
  • Zizoo 9 Apr 2013 10:47:57 8,095 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:48:50 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, to repeat an earlier point, mixed sports may end up richer and more entertaining even if it's not physically superior. For this reason mixed doubles tends to be more interesting than the single sex doubles.

Physicality isn't everything in sport. Or at least it shouldn't be.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:49:00 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, its become a bit of a cliche, but "soccer" really is a grass roots girls game over in the US, with them getting involved at a really young age.

It wouldnt surprise me if they farted around with the rules, sooner or later, to better accomodate women players.

He totally called it

• Latin 9 Apr 2013 10:50:01 3,592 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Football is physical though... Even if every woman on that team had the skill of zidane/cryuff, they'd still be slower to the ball, weaker on the ball, tire quicker etc etc. and would lose badly to a best XI of men.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 10:50:17 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another problem and again its societal is that a man will never go in as hard on a woman as he would a man.

Fnar and so on.

He totally called it

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:53:06 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    Football is physical though... Even if every woman on that team had the skill of zidane/cryuff, they'd still be slower to the ball, weaker on the ball, tire quicker etc etc. and would lose badly to a best XI of men.
    But those Zidane-like female players would be of potential great use amongst more physical male players in a mixed team.
  • Deckard1 9 Apr 2013 10:54:36 27,069 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok say football became a mixed sport. Now imagine the uproar when a man goes in studs up against a woman and breaks her leg. Works for any other team game.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2013 10:55:37
    Sorry but no way could a woman ever get into a professional adult mens football team on merit.

Sounds like when it was proposed that the Williams sisters play mens tennis - in actual fact they did try it once and were both beaten by a US college player in the same day.

Maybe long distance running - women have extra fat reserves? When Paula Radcliffe won the marathon I seem to remember she would have finished 6th in the mens race?
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:56:34 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Ok say football became a mixed sport. Now imagine the uproar when a man goes in studs up against a woman and breaks her leg. Works for any other team game.
    But that's sexist. It should be no more of an issue to do it on a woman than on a man (which is btw a big issue and gets a fair bit of uproar).
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 10:57:23 86,260 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Sorry but no way could a woman ever get into a professional adult mens football team on merit.

Sounds like when it was proposed that the Williams sisters play mens tennis - in actual fact they did try it once and were both beaten by a US college player in the same day.
    Do you need me to explain the difference between individual sports and team sports?
  • Innuendobot_5000 9 Apr 2013 10:58:39 85 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Another problem and again its societal is that a man will never go in as hard on a woman as he would a man.

Fnar and so on.
    OOH. STICK. YOU.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2013 10:59:42
    No Im clear on that - still men against women though innit.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last