Guacamelee! Page 14

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• robc84 6 Feb 2014 09:50:48 5,346 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @kinky_mong

That's good then, I should be able to finish it. Probably won't bother with collectables though.
  • Vortex808 6 Feb 2014 09:51:18 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    @robc84 It's pretty short, about 3-4 hours to finish and then another hour mopping up collectibles if you're so inclined.
    O_O

I have spent 3-4 hours just to get through one area!

/glowers at tule tree on the map
  • binky Moderator 6 Feb 2014 10:02:26 9,466 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whilst I didn't start a stop watch there's no way I completed it (the story) in anything under 8 hours.
  • Kay 6 Feb 2014 10:05:04 17,767 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The game keeps track of your total play time. Took me about 11 hours to complete the game with the good ending and most items, iirc.
  • kinky_mong 6 Feb 2014 10:06:29 9,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm they reckon it's about 5 and a half hours for the main story here I'm sure I did it a bit quicker than that.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• robc84 6 Feb 2014 10:10:46 5,346 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm usually pretty slow so I reckon around the 10 hour mark for me then. I'll keep going with it and see how I get on.
  • Flying_Pig 6 Feb 2014 10:13:06 10,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure I was in the 8 hours + to finish it, but then I do tend to take my time with these things
  • cowell 6 Feb 2014 10:35:09 683 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally negotiated one of the annoying Tula Tree platform sections, having come back to it today. Difficulty has definitely ramped up here
  • Vortex808 6 Feb 2014 23:25:18 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I have beaten the second boss and am apparently 6.5hours in. Looks like one more then the final showdown, so maybe 10 hours total.

Obviously, that does not appear to include all the deaths and trauma on the tule tree.
  • Vortex808 7 Feb 2014 20:27:27 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It took an hour of cursing and gnashing of teeth, but jaguar javier is beaten at last. I nearly had him so many times.

Grr.

Off to cavern de pollo to improve a little more, then I guess it's time to head off to the final showdown.
  • mrpon 10 Feb 2014 07:51:43 28,503 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just started this and Hotline last night (I know), both super games so far. This looks gorgeous and I can tell already there's going to be tears with switch mechanics.

Love the music on Hotline, very much reminds me of Drive (the movie) meets Vice City.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Load_2.0 10 Feb 2014 08:28:18 18,958 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also just started playing, perfect for the Vita got Hotline Miami as well on sale but haven't started it yet.

Enjoying it as a well designed (so far) sidescrolling beat em up/platformer.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2014 08:29:21 23,390 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's ace. Funny too.

My look back at one of the best sequels ever: Uncharted 2.

• Vortex808 10 Feb 2014 09:40:02 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am well into the great temple now, but it is tough going. Some really head-scratching platforming, which I have been slowly progressing through and the are definitely ramping up the toughness of rooms to clear. I hoped to get through it all yesterday, but I gave up in the end.

I can feel I am getting very close to calaca, not too far to ascend now. I hope to get there tonight, but won't hold my breath. I dread to think how tough the final fight will be!

I'd almost take some shit QTE fest at the end like in Halo 4 just to get it finished, but I doubt they will be that kind. The game has felt like a brutal war of attrition at some points.
  • Flying_Pig 10 Feb 2014 11:03:17 10,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Vortex808 - you've already done the hardest boss fight. Calaca isn't too bad.
  • Vortex808 10 Feb 2014 11:42:19 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really? That's encouraging to hear.

Admittedly, JJ was nearly at console-breaking levels at (and marriage breaking due to all my shouting at it). I didn't expect them to ease off for the final boss given how tricky some of the latter levels have been.

Thankfully, nothing is as bad as the damned Tule tree once you have some of the later powers. Mind you, claiming Calaca isn't too bad in the context of this game shouldn't necessarily give me any cause for comfort...
  • Vortex808 10 Feb 2014 18:45:37 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Man calaca is more annoying than javier so far. I have nearly got the bony skeletal bassa a few times, but he always pops up in another dimension or dive bombs me when I've just missed connecting with him.

The wife is getting irked already.
  • Vortex808 10 Feb 2014 19:04:13 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shit. Got beyond that and things have got worse.

Any tips? I am getting murdered and don't even know how to counter some of this. He is an arse.
  • crashVoodoo 10 Feb 2014 20:27:12 3,853 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been playing through this on pc and so far i felt like i've breezed through it but then i hit the tule tree section.

after some mis-starts i've got through that to the temple of war(?) and then just got stuck at a bunch of fucks in front of barrels all tooled up with different coloured shields.

I finally got past that bit and unlocked the blue forward punch and now ... well now it can eat a dick otherwise i might just smash the pad into the tv.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Vortex808 10 Feb 2014 20:57:03 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    \o/

Fucking yes! Tis done at last. Haha, I beat it before it broke me!

Balls to beating him with melee only. Or doing it on hard.

I am not even going to finish orb collecting.

That was as hard as nails, massively frustrating in parts, but funny, with a lovely graphical style and also very rewarding.

Glad I am done though.
  • Flying_Pig 10 Feb 2014 22:19:15 10,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Vortex808 - well done chief \o/
  • infoxicated 11 Feb 2014 15:48:23 1,073 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Vortex808 Well done, man - I was enjoying it so much when I got stuck on the Tule Tree. Still feel a little cheated out of the rest of the Guacamelee story, but I've been enjoying Pixeljunk Monsters so much that I'm content to just chalk it up to experience. :)
  • kinky_mong 11 Feb 2014 16:02:47 9,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wait, so you people complaining about the Tule Tree aren't even talking about the bit at the very top to collect one of the orbs? Pah, you haven't even scratched the surface of the difficulty this game provides!

• Flying_Pig 11 Feb 2014 17:17:47 10,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Wait, so you people complaining about the Tule Tree aren't even talking about the bit at the very top to collect one of the orbs? Pah, you haven't even scratched the surface of the difficulty this game provides!
    Ha - yes. The top of the Tule Tree takes platforming to a whole new level of teeth-nashing difficulty. I gave up after trying that section for over an hour - way beyond my abilities.
  • kinky_mong 11 Feb 2014 17:38:19 9,997 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I resorted to YouTube after the first 50 failed attempts. Still felt good to do it despite that arsehole chickens efforts to wind you up.

• Deleted user 11 February 2014 18:21:09
    Started this today. I like! Not looking forward to this Tule tree that is spoken off in bad terms in here though!

Just gained the ability to turn into a chicken. So yeah thumbs up! Like the mario land (gameboy) reference when defeating 'the pet'.
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2014 10:00:40 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, I might regret this, but is the DLC any good?

I actually found myself missing the pain and frustration of playing this last night.

I even had thoughts along the lines of 'I only have 3 more orbs to get, maybe I should try and get them''.

The previous night having finally beaten Calaca. I never wanted to play it *ever* again.

It really gets under your skin doesn't it?
  • Flying_Pig 12 Feb 2014 10:28:00 10,738 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Vortex808 - I found the DLC disappointingly hateful. It's essentially a series of one-off challenges, most of which make the Tule Tree look like a walk in the park. I found it actually tainted my view of Guacamelee.
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2014 10:49:02 6,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, well that settles things on that front then. I really enjoyed it, so don't want to sully it. Thanks for passing on your impression of it.

BTW I have slung you a friend request for Surge Deluxe scoreboard comparisons, although since I can't match Murbal's, I doubt I'll be troubling you much by the sounds of it!
  • Deleted user 12 February 2014 15:49:04
    A little won over by this. I'm at the temple of war, and just a little beyond getting the ability to smash blue blocks. It's a lot of fun.

The hub world in a platformer i think is really well executed and something i don't think i seen before in a platformer. Fighting enemies is always gratifying, especially using the triangle finishing throws. You feel like a pretty bad ass wrestler.

The game is pretty witty, and looks and sounds glorious on a big screen. It's pretty demanding, but i found a little patience and thinking through of how to traverse certain platforms sections and enemy encounters goes a long way - for instance the tula tree section wasn't too bad -(unless i have to go back to it and go further up ;) )

About to go to to work, but just want to go back and play more of this!
  • Page

of 15 First / Last