Underwater camera housings

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pistol 7 Apr 2013 10:17:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any of you scuba divers use underwater cameras?

Looking at getting something that will allow a 40m depth and wondered if anyone used something they would recommend?

I don't want to spend a fortune on a housing for my Nikon D7000 so will probably get something like the EWC range that fit the Casio cameras. Been using one this week and the results have been pretty impressive. Just wondered if I was missing a trick somewhere.
  • SuperBas 8 Apr 2013 10:50:21 1,450 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Those new Sony Xperia Z phones are watertight right? Just use one of those, it's cheaper than a D7000.
  • Alastair 8 Apr 2013 10:56:45 15,431 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes - I have a housing for my Fuji.
    Ikelite make housings for pretty much any camera... And many of the manufacturers make their own as well.
    Check out Cameras Underwater - I believe they are also part of a shop on Embankment. You live in Pinner I think, so not impossible to get to.

Have you done much u/w photography before?
    General tips would include getting a massive memory card to help minimise the number of times to need to open the housing during your dive trip.
    Look for a case with a double seal - maybe they all have them. And make sure it has a tripod screw mount on the bottom so that you can add attachments.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Alastair 8 Apr 2013 10:57:31 15,431 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On my last trip, several of the guys had GoPros and they were awesome! I was very impressed as the quality from something so small!

• pistol 8 Apr 2013 18:48:02 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Those new Sony Xperia Z phones are watertight right? Just use one of those, it's cheaper than a D7000.
    Thanks but nowhere near good enough for my needs.
  • pistol 8 Apr 2013 18:51:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    On my last trip, several of the guys had GoPros and they were awesome! I was very impressed as the quality from something so small!
    Thanks, been looking at Cameras Underwater the other day and seen a few divers with Gopro's. Today I used a Casio inside a housing at 25 metres and shot over 200 pics. Really quite impressed with results and the housings are good for 40 metres.
  • pistol 9 Apr 2013 17:58:46 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From tests over the last few days it's a toss up between Canon/Casio and Coolpix plus housing. Been experimenting with both at around 20 metres and both produced good shots. Can't really separate them really.
  • FogHeart 10 Apr 2013 15:18:32 944 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently using a Panasonic Lumix FT2 together with a Panasonic DMW-MCFT2E 40m Marine Housing. The camera alone is waterproof to 10m.

Why? Because the two together, new, costed 300. Last year used them in Ningaloo, pleased with the results but it was my first foray into UW photos, next week I'm off to Sulawesi. I'll upload something nice for you :)
  • pistol 10 Apr 2013 16:54:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    Currently using a Panasonic Lumix FT2 together with a Panasonic DMW-MCFT2E 40m Marine Housing. The camera alone is waterproof to 10m.

Why? Because the two together, new, costed 300. Last year used them in Ningaloo, pleased with the results but it was my first foray into UW photos, next week I'm off to Sulawesi. I'll upload something nice for you :)
    Thanks
  • pistol 10 Apr 2013 18:17:57 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:

What's it like with moving subjects underwater?

Seems to get good reviews, although it seems the Panasonic video format isn't that compatible.
  • pistol 11 Apr 2013 08:19:10 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Yes - I have a housing for my Fuji.
    Ikelite make housings for pretty much any camera... And many of the manufacturers make their own as well.
    Check out Cameras Underwater - I believe they are also part of a shop on Embankment. You live in Pinner I think, so not impossible to get to.

Have you done much u/w photography before?
    General tips would include getting a massive memory card to help minimise the number of times to need to open the housing during your dive trip.
    Look for a case with a double seal - maybe they all have them. And make sure it has a tripod screw mount on the bottom so that you can add attachments.
    Sorry Alastair, mean't to ask your question. I've done a fair bit but always with other people's cameras. Doing a bit more now and been meaning to get myself a decent set-up, just never got round to it. These last 2 weeks I've been doing more and been trying out both Canon/Casio camera housings and a Nikon Coolpix with housing. I'm a Nikon D7000 user on land but so far prefer results from the Canon's. Will most likely look at getting a G11 or 12 with housing when I get back to UK.

My main issues with getting housing for my D7000 is obviously the cost, but also the whole rig will end up being quite bulky and I want the freedom of taking something smaller.

I used a Nikon DSLR with housing a couple of years ago on a shark feeding dive in the Florida Keys and it was a pain to carry. Results were good but then the water was super clear for miles.

Edited by pistol at 08:19:44 11-04-2013

Edited by pistol at 08:20:38 11-04-2013
  • pistol 11 Apr 2013 10:40:33 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Depending on what Gopro you get, they're actually not that great underwater, especially if you use the housing that comes with them. The housing can sometimes produce blurry pics and video. Great out of the water though. I've tried a Gopro 2 and wasn't massively impressed.
  • Alastair 11 Apr 2013 10:46:19 15,431 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Depending on what Gopro you get, they're actually not that great underwater, especially if you use the housing that comes with them. The housing can sometimes produce blurry pics and video. Great out of the water though. I've tried a Gopro 2 and wasn't massively impressed.
    Interesting. I don't know what model they had but the results were good.
    They even tied the Gopro to a reel and lowered it down around 30m off the boat, with a plastic bag filled with fish heads to see if they could attract a shark. One showed up after about 5 mins - the picture quality was great!

• FogHeart 11 Apr 2013 10:49:09 944 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll be honest, not that great taking stills of moving subjects, but once again I fall back on the disclaimer that it really was my first foray into underwater photography. The reason it, and the housing, were so cheap was that the camera was on the verge of being superceded, I believe by the FT4 (they seemed to skip 3!) but nevertheless I got this because I didn't know if I was going to be any good at taking pics, and didn't want to spend too much in that case. I got no one to impress but friends and folks who don't dive, so my priority was price, not quality. Tonight I'll try to upload two or three pics from last year's dive so you can judge.
  • pistol 12 Apr 2013 19:24:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did two dives of the Zenobia Wreck today, and classed as one of the top 10 wreck dives in the world. Has been as high as 5 apparently. Bottom of dives was 35 metres (ship goes to 42). Awesome dive and the 3rd time I've done it. Not that well known for marine life but saw loads, and that was before we went inside. Barracuda, groupers, moray eels, all sorts of local fish, octopus.

Flying back to UK tomorrow.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next