Hannibal - US Pace Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 7 Jun 2013 09:54:20 6,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok... this show is so entertaining that I really don't even care about plausibility anymore. So glad that it got renewed.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jun 2013 14:24:33 6,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone watch the season finale? It was rather good.

Possibly a bit cheap though. They'll probably make it that Will has amnesia or something.
  • Scurrminator 22 Jun 2013 20:42:56 8,377 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope. They're sticking with that thread. Which means, really, this can only go a few more seasons.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• oceanmotion 23 Jun 2013 21:36:32 15,641 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Glad I stuck with it and they ventured away from killer of the week and his deducing scenes which dragged it down.

Good finale. His meddling on the cuff or so it seems is great. His face at end was fantastically evil and fun.

Not sure what they are going to do next time. Finding out seems certain. Looking forward to it anyway.

How much does Scully know, did he do something rather horrible to her attacker. Is she fearful, thankful not to say anything?

Edited by oceanmotion at 21:41:08 23-06-2013
  • BillMurray 26 Oct 2013 23:17:39 7,604 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only 2 episodes in but I'm really enjoying watching this. Love how it's shot, everyone has been great in it so far too.
  • YenRug 27 Oct 2013 00:29:11 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BillMurray Amazingly, it gets sicker/grosser right up until the end. I am seriously worried about the mental state of this show's writers.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jan 2014 02:27:28 6,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Season 2 trailer:

Be warned: it's quite spoiler-y. Looks fantastic though. I can't wait.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 03:09:06 20-01-2014
  • Deleted user 20 January 2014 08:14:32
    Jeez, did they really have to show Laurence Fishburne getting stabbed in the trailer
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2014 09:09:58 23,124 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I heard it's got some spoilers so not going to watch it. Can't WAIT for it to start back though, I loved it. Hope they get the chance to do their plan of "new stuff for seasons 1-3, then do Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal". Would love to see their interpretation of the original books, especially with that cast. Mads is spectacular.

Is anyone else getting a bit bored with remastered games? Read my thoughts!

• Darren 20 Jan 2014 13:40:34 8,697 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolutely loved season1 of this series and have just finished rewatching it on BD followed by Silence of the Lambs abd Hannibal (which I haven't seen in years) and soon Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising (neither of which I have seen yet)! I definitely enjoyed this series more the second time round when I could watch 2-3 episodes back to back with adverts interrupting the viewing (even if you fast forward through them then they still ruin the pacing IMO).

Initially, I thought it was odd that the Will Graham character seemed to get more air time than the Hannibal character but I think that just makes Hannibal more creepy and interesting as more and more is revealed about him as the series progresses. The actor who plays Hannibal definitely has a Christopher Lee/Dracula vibe to him IMO.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• sirtacos 15 Feb 2014 10:31:40 7,267 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really like this show, but it's also fucking stupid.

This isn't meant to be a 'ooh look at how discerning I am / I'm too good for the shows I enjoy' post. It's a simple observation.

The main reason I watch it at all is because Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal) is excellent in everything.

My main gripes are:

1) Will Graham's 'empathy' is effectively a superpower.
    2) the "walking backwards"/'windshield wiper vision' effects are condescending and shitty.
    3) Hannibal is a caricature: an impossibly brilliant epicurean Renaissance Man who knows everything about everything. (You know he's smart because he owns leatherbound books and listens to classical music.) He's a cartoon supervillain.
    4) The 'monster of the week' format forces the show to one-up itself with increasingly bizarre or gruesome murders. You have to accept that the show takes place in an alternate universe where Virginia has more serial killers per square kilometre than Baltimore has crack dealers.*

You also have to accept that, whereas real life detectives can spend a lifetime on a case without solving it, this one FBI agent solves five of them every month. And he's not even a real FBI agent. But he has empathy!
    (You know he's empathetic because he has dogs. Dogs who are clearly there to be killed at some point.)

Sorry for the rant. Anyway I guess Hannibal is easier to swallow if you treat it as a comic book adaptation.

*or is it heroin? It's been a while since I saw The Wire.

Edited by sirtacos at 10:42:28 15-02-2014
  • Mola_Ram 15 Feb 2014 11:44:58 6,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wait... are you telling me that this show is less than realistic? No way.
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Feb 2014 11:48:46 23,124 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You mean a show in which an FBI profiler consults a cannibal psychiatrist for help catching serial killers isn't realistic???!

And I personally love the walking backwards parts. I don't think they're condescending at all. Showcases Graham's abilities nicely. Yeah, the monster of the week stuff I suppose is a little crazy if you think about it logically, but its never really bothered me before. How many killers do they actually hunt? And how is it any worse than garbage like Criminal Minds or the like?

• Mola_Ram 15 Feb 2014 11:57:15 6,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I also often think about the ridiculously implausible murder scenes in this (see: the previous page). But they're just so gruesomely spectacular and pretty that I don't mind at all.

And I also wonder just what is wrong with the writers that come up with this shit.
  • sirtacos 15 Feb 2014 12:49:27 7,267 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not trying to argue that Hannibal is shit, because it isn't.
    Nor am I saying it needs moar realisms. It's just that the 'implausible' bits (beyond the basic premise) are sometimes really jarring, and increasingly so as the show progresses.

My issue is mainly with the presentation of the 'implausible bits' rather than the content. e.g. Will's voodoo shit I can deal with, but it's never counterbalanced by his showing any actual investigative skill.

But you're right, it is silly of me to moan about realism in a show about Hannibal Lecter.

Edited by sirtacos at 13:11:26 15-02-2014
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Feb 2014 13:22:04 23,124 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I suppose Will does tend to leap to pretty amazing conclusions sometimes, and he is held in reverence by some others, like Jack.

• Mola_Ram 1 Mar 2014 07:07:22 6,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's back!

The opening scene is just delicious, although it was a bit of a cheat having it be a flash-forward.
  • Darren 5 Mar 2014 14:05:36 8,697 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just watched the opening episode of season two and thank goodness Hannibal is still on form and compulsive viewing. With both The Following and now The Walking Dead becoming sillier or just outright plain dull then I was concerned but it looks like the series is going to be every bit as good as the first based on episode 1. I did think it was strange how the episode opened though before jumping back 12 weeks because it seems to me that we now know how season 2 will end. We don't know how it builds to that moment but I think it would have been more effective if they hadn't shown that personally. I can see why they did it because of the contrast with the Jack/Hannibal dinner scene but I think that was the wrong thing to do. Not that it spoilt my enjoyment of the episode in any major way.

Hannibal is delightfully evil and the actor who plays him is perfect. At no point do I find myself comparing him to Anthony Hopkins portrayal of the character as the TV character is far more chilling because he appears to be so friendly and normal to everyone else. The Will Graham flashback was also extremely gruesome and had me almost retching.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• YenRug 5 Mar 2014 14:50:24 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Darren The thing is, we already know that Hannibal eventually gets caught and ends up being stuck in a perspex walled cell interviewed by Clarice Starling. I think they did this to kind of remind viewers, because I'm sure some of them are, not to go rooting for Hannibal; he is going to be found out and end up in jail, at some point.

I believe someone else mentioned, the show creators are planning to recreate Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal, if they can stay in production long enough.
  • Darren 6 Mar 2014 16:45:51 8,697 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @YenRug - Yeah, I know that Hannibal gets caught but the opening scene depicted something not seen or mentioned in any of the films (sorry but I've not read any of the books). That scene is going to be less effective in 12 weeks because we know it is coming (my guess is that it was 12 weeks because a second has conveniently 13 episodes so each episode will likely cover a week).

Also, is it me or is anyone surprised to see that doctor who had his insides removed by Eddie Izzard (who played a great part I might add) back working at the Baltimore Hospital? Surely it would take him years to recover from that ordeal both physically and mentally. It certainly isn't years between that event and episode 1 of season 2 but a few months at most.

• Darren 12 Mar 2014 12:57:25 8,697 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another great episode this week. I'm really loving this second season so far. It's stylish and I really like the way they're finally focusing more on Hannibal Lecter than Will Graham (my only real fault with the excellent first season). Gillian Anderson also plays a great part as well and genuinely looked terrified of Hannibal (I think it is only a matter of time before she ends up as a starter for one of Hannibal's dinner parties!).

• CosmicFuzz 12 Mar 2014 13:05:12 23,124 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup great stuff so far. Really can't wait to see where it goes, I so hope they get to do the three books eventually.

It's such a beautiful show, too. Some of the cinematography is gorgeous.

And yes, Gillian Anderson better be careful I think! I was trying to remember what the story was behind her attack though, I know it was explained last season but I've completely forgotten!

• TarickStonefire 12 Mar 2014 13:07:22 2,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I started watching the first series and from the first few episodes was really into it - well shot and well acted. But it seemed to get bumped around in the schedule all the time and then an episode got chopped, and in the end i had no idea what was going on and just stopped watching. Was it a weekly crime solving thing, or an over-arching story thing? I couldn't tell.

Has it found out what it wants to be yet? Is it worth going back to?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:08:26 12-03-2014

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• AcidSnake 12 Mar 2014 13:10:00 7,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think they explained the attack...
    Something like Hannibal refered a patient and he attacked her? It is heavily implied that Hannibal either took the guy out or made her do it...No specifics...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• YenRug 12 Mar 2014 14:55:58 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Something like Hannibal refered a patient and he attacked her? It is heavily implied that Hannibal either took the guy out or made her do it...No specifics...
    Knowing Hannibal, as depicted in this show, I wouldn't put it past him to have deliberately set up that exact situation; he would probably know that, at some point, he would need to have someone he could discuss himself with and thus created an obligation that he could exploit.
  • YenRug 12 Mar 2014 14:59:07 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I started watching the first series and from the first few episodes was really into it - well shot and well acted. But it seemed to get bumped around in the schedule all the time and then an episode got chopped, and in the end i had no idea what was going on and just stopped watching. Was it a weekly crime solving thing, or an over-arching story thing? I couldn't tell.

Has it found out what it wants to be yet? Is it worth going back to?
    It truly is both, most shows have the weekly case with occasional hints of an arc dropped in here and there; this show still has cases of the week, but they're kind of there to be the backdrop to the developing relationship between the show's protagonist and antagonist.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Mar 2014 15:04:53 23,124 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Knowing Hannibal, as depicted in this show, I wouldn't put it past him to have deliberately set up that exact situation; he would probably know that, at some point, he would need to have someone he could discuss himself with and thus created an obligation that he could exploit.
    Ah, that will explain why I couldn't remember it then! Looking forward to finding out about that this season.

And TarickStonefire, it's definitely got an overarching story, but has cases of the week thrown in too. Every episode tends to deal with the bigger picture to an extent though, at least I don't remember any episodes being completely stand alone.

• Darren 13 Mar 2014 13:16:59 8,697 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Yeah, I agree with that. In fact, I suspect that is why Gillian Anderson (Hannibal's therapist - damn, I forget her name!) is now so afraid of Lecter as she has realised that that is exactly what has happened.

• TarickStonefire 13 Mar 2014 15:12:08 2,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks folks, will try and work out where we left season 1 and get back into it.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• YenRug 13 Mar 2014 15:47:30 2,014 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    YenRug wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Yeah, I agree with that. In fact, I suspect that is why Gillian Anderson (Hannibal's therapist - damn, I forget her name!) is now so afraid of Lecter as she has realised that that is exactly what has happened.
    If you think back to the first season:

Remember the gay couple, with the black guy turning people into instruments? Hannibal had been able to figure out that the partner, that he hadn't met, was a serial killer and was actually able to manipulate the one he was treating into influencing the partner. If he's that perceptive and devious, bringing Gillian Anderson's character into his fold is relative childs play.

*Spoiler protected for Tarick
  • Page

of 9 First / Last