Hannibal - US Pace Page 3

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 9 May 2013 23:45:07
    Mads Mikkelsen is a stupidly good actor.
  • Tonka 10 May 2013 08:07:50 21,188 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Actually, one of the big questions that was raised at the beginning was whether he was an active killer or not.
    No it wan't. It was bleedingly obvious he was an active killer when he:
    1 Copycat murdered
    2 Warned a fellow hobbyist
    3 Ate the lungs of the copycat victim

Between those three things I can't see how you found it ambiguous.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• BinaryBob101 10 May 2013 12:51:28 24,113 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The suggestion was hidden in plain sight until episode 6.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 10 May 2013 13:31:31
    Tonka wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Actually, one of the big questions that was raised at the beginning was whether he was an active killer or not.
    No it wan't. It was bleedingly obvious he was an active killer when he:
    1 Copycat murdered
    2 Warned a fellow hobbyist
    3 Ate the lungs of the copycat victim

Between those three things I can't see how you found it ambiguous.
    I twigged when he butchered the lungs tbh. Wonder how much scope there is for this series.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 14:54:05
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The suggestion was hidden in plain sight until episode 6.
    Yeah, this. It's the narrative difference between knowing and assuming. I'm using ambiguous in the classical sense of "can be interpreted either way, though evidence may have double meaning" rather than "WOO IT'S ALL SO OPEN, MAYBE HE'S A GHOST, OR IT'S ALL A DREAM" Hollywood ambiguity. Anyway. All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, they showed their hand a wee bit too early, going entirely off the basis that they've got multiple seasons planned with the big Red Dragon 'Will works it out' moment happening in season 4, according to the show creator. Except they're investigating the Ripper (and thus Lecter) right now, midway through season 1.

Edited by meme at 15:22:25 10-05-2013
  • Deleted user 10 May 2013 15:46:45
    Something interesting regarding the rights I've discovered - because NBC have the Red Dragon rights but MGM have the Silence of the Lambs rights, MGM are going to make a "Clarice Starling" series. Because that won't be confusing at all.
  • Tonka 10 May 2013 19:45:03 21,188 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No way this shit will get four seasons.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 11 May 2013 12:53:03 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Eh, I like it. There's the odd plothole, but it looks lovely, it's complex, and most of the performances are rather good. The Following doesn't even deserve to be in the same sentence as this show.

I don't know if it will get four seasons, but far worse things have gotten much further than that.
  • TarickStonefire 11 May 2013 13:02:09 3,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    No way this shit will get four seasons.
    Must be watching very different shows, no way is this "shit".

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 11 May 2013 13:03:06 3,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Something interesting regarding the rights I've discovered - because NBC have the Red Dragon rights but MGM have the Silence of the Lambs rights, MGM are going to make a "Clarice Starling" series. Because that won't be confusing at all.
    Not that confusing. They are different characters, and Lecter never met Clarice before SOTL so if it's a prequel show there'll be zero crossover.

• Mola_Ram 11 May 2013 13:03:13 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Apparently we'll know fairly soon if it gets a second season. Based on the few episodes I've seen, I hope it does.
  • TarickStonefire 11 May 2013 13:04:15 3,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Considering they've (apparently) planned up to season four in plots, I think they've pulled the Lecter actually is an active killer card a little too early. Interesting to see a Silence of the Lambs surrogate with Eddie Izzard though.
    But... that 'card' was played in the very first episode. He's the copycat. That's the entire point of the show, surely?

• TarickStonefire 11 May 2013 13:05:44 3,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Not in my mind - it's not even a question, it's a fact. The copycat is Lecter.

• TarickStonefire 11 May 2013 13:08:23 3,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    meme wrote:If he's going to end up somehow connected to every serial killer that comes along (we already know he has a connection to the Shrike, or whatever he was called), it'll get old fast. But we'll see.
    In other words "if they're going to stick rigidly to a rubbish formula, it'll be rubbish."

True, but let's see what they do, and *then* proclaim it rubbish ;)

• Deleted user 11 May 2013 16:07:41
    Read the rest of the discussion. It was never explicit until episode 6. I haven't called it rubbish either, just expressed doubt they could pull off Hannibal being The Ripper but going uncaught by Will for four seasons, as per the show creator's plans. In the book of Red Dragon, for example, Graham met Lecter twice before working it out.

The original conception and point of the show was whether or not Will Graham could be pushed into becoming a serial killer himself by Hannibal. Which could be an amazing story arc if they decide to go that route, but now they're saying they want to stick closer to the books, which does kind of rule it out. We shall see.
  • Mola_Ram 11 May 2013 16:18:41 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The danger with the Lecter reveal is that they'll have to keep stringing it out, if this is going to go on for more than a couple of seasons. So either have the ripper thing relegated to the background, or have Lecter escape suspicion in increasingly implausible circumstances ala Dexter.

I'd prefer the first scenario.
  • Mola_Ram 18 May 2013 11:39:31 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow, that new episode was gloriously silly.

"This was... a performance"

And the SERIAL KILLER DEATH MATCH was fantastic.
  • BinaryBob101 18 May 2013 12:52:01 24,113 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes. Loving the gothic, gallows humour this season is developing, I spent most of the recent episodes chortling quietly to myself.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 18 May 2013 17:02:57
    Yeah, was a great episode. The whole "I was going to kill you" "Really? I was going to kill you" thing was well done without being overbearingly cheesy.
  • GuiltySpark 18 May 2013 19:32:21 6,461 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hannibal is hard as fuck, that was truly awesome. I always expected him to be a kind of silent, smart killer, instead of beating the shit out of a guy.

Get bent.

• cubbymoore 18 May 2013 20:20:07 36,503 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So without wanting to check fully in case I come across spoilers, am I right in thinking this thread is not safe for UK viewers?
  • GuiltySpark 18 May 2013 20:28:51 6,461 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely seems US pace, I'd be careful (or catch up!).

Get bent.

• Mola_Ram 25 May 2013 05:14:32 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another silly one!

Yes, suspension of disbelief and all of that, but the set-up this week got me really thinking about the logistics of everything. ie. how much time, effort and energy it would take for one man to dig up 7 graves, arrange them around a tree-sized log, put a fresh victim on the top, and then *pull the log upright* somehow - all without anyone noticing.

I mean, it looks sensational, but come on now.
  • Deleted user 31 May 2013 01:08:21
    Renewed for a second season.
  • matrim83 31 May 2013 01:26:26 5,597 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

Everytime I see the thread bumped here or on GAF I fully expect the news of it being cancelled. So glad its being renewed. :D

Valar morghulis.

• Nanocrystal 31 May 2013 02:23:28 1,097 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Another silly one!

Yes, suspension of disbelief and all of that, but the set-up this week got me really thinking about the logistics of everything. ie. how much time, effort and energy it would take for one man to dig up 7 graves, arrange them around a tree-sized log, put a fresh victim on the top, and then *pull the log upright* somehow - all without anyone noticing.

I mean, it looks sensational, but come on now.
    I had similar thoughts during the episode where the guy cut angel wings out of his own back-flesh and then suspended himself on wires by his wrists and wings twenty feet in the air. That was the point I gave up on this show.
  • Mola_Ram 31 May 2013 06:47:41 8,005 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Eh, it's not something that bothers me that much. I do wonder why nobody in the show brings it up, though. It's just normal.

"Sigh, had to dismantle a corpse tree today"

"Oh yeah, I had one of those last week. Such a pain"

At any rate, I would probably prefer that the serial killers weren't quite so superhuman. I know that Lance Henrikssen is awesome and everything, but you'd at least need a truck and a team of guys to get a corpse tree standing upright.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:37:06 01-06-2013
  • pistol 31 May 2013 10:49:11 13,019 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watched a few of these but really struggled to maintain interest. I find it a bit too slick if you know what I mean. The FBI lead a bit too self indulgent. Lectar's character (baddie from Bond) well cast though. Doubt I'll be watching anymore.

Manhunter still my favourite of all the films.

Edited by pistol at 10:49:49 31-05-2013
  • Deleted user 31 May 2013 11:24:51
    yeah, it's a bit shit. I can watch it though.
  • OnlyMe 3 Jun 2013 09:44:32 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    I had similar thoughts during the episode where the guy cut angel wings out of his own back-flesh and then suspended himself on wires by his wrists and wings twenty feet in the air. That was the point I gave up on this show.
    I have a feeling that part is Lecter's work. It reminded me of the scene Lecter left when he escaped in Silence of the Lambs.

Edited by OnlyMe at 09:44:45 03-06-2013

Edited by OnlyMe at 09:45:31 03-06-2013
  • Page

of 10 First / Last