Video Game related TV shows?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • danathjo 5 Apr 2013 00:43:09 7,428 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Couldn't find an appropriate thread but just saw the latest episode of Good Game. Guessing most people have never heard of it but it's a weekly Australian show on the ABC that while sometimes a bit hokey this weeks show had a pretty good 'best decade' piece some might enjoy.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/episodes/

Any other worth while shows online? Used to watch a couple on Gametrailers (epic battle cry and the friday one, 'invisible walls' or something?? but there's only so much time.
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Apr 2013 04:02:30 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Since everyone else will probably make good English-language recommendations like Classic Game Room and such, I will recommend Game Center CX. This one is an actual TV show, but you can find almost all of the episodes online. Lately, I hear its gaining some popularity of overseas and it seems there is a community providing subtitled translations. As well, I hear they are going to or are offering DVDs overseas as well. So there seems to be lots of avenues if you want to watch it in English.

It is an excellent, excellent show. If you start watching you may find it hard to stop. The main draw is that Arino Shinya, of successful Japanese comedy troupe Yoiko (or Good Kids), tries to get through and see the ending screen of old games. Arino is not very good at games, but he is an excellent comedian, and he and his staff have a love of life and video games that makes every episode a joy to watch. Other than his challenges to persevere tough retro games, they do things like go to foreign countries and investigate their video games, visit arcades over Japan, give brief introductions to retro games, or have special corners like when Arino calls random people for help who write into the show to get past a particularly difficult game, or goes through the old Game & Watch catalog.

It is surprisingly hard show to describe. It may sound rote or boring, but it has a distinct flavor to it that is very different from any other video game show I've seen, and can at times be a surprisingly effective documentary of gaming past as well as being pee-your-pants cackingly funny.
  • SlackMaster 5 Apr 2013 07:00:15 3,134 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watch most videogame related shows/clips on websites as there are virtually no videogame shows on UK tv.

I watch Invisible Walls and the Final Bossman on Gametrailers, retro NES stuff on Pat the Nes Punk or NES Complex's channel on YouTube. Classic game room, some avgn and cinemassacare videos and retrowaretv reviews and features.

I've been looking to get the old 90's tv shows, like Gamesmaster or GamesWorld but not been able to find anywhere online to get them.
  • mrpon 5 Apr 2013 08:19:40 29,184 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found one called The Blurb on the Challenge TV channel. A fairly inoffensive half an hour roundup of latest news, reviews and interviews. Quite a sexy presenter, if you're into redheads.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Ziz0u 5 Apr 2013 08:22:00 8,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cybernet 4 life

Edited by ZizouFC at 08:22:25 05-04-2013
  • EMarkM 5 Apr 2013 08:23:57 3,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooh, she's lovely.

I rarely have time for TV, but occassionally troll the Sky guide trying to find a decent gaming show in the UK.

I quite enjoy Outside Xbox, linked on EG, despite not owning the console anymore.
  • JoeGBallad 5 Apr 2013 11:28:45 386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you're looking for something more homegrown, and you'll allow me to be an arse for a second, maybe you could check out my show, Bit Socket? We're pretty proud of what we do; we aim for high quality but with an honest voice behind it. Hope you like it!

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Page

of 1

Previous Next