iOS 7 Page 12

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• nickthegun 15 Jun 2013 11:23:21 59,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By virtue of metro being totally flat, rather than anyone being insane enough to copy anything metro related.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• THFourteen 15 Jun 2013 11:24:37 33,095 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metro is ace.
  • nickthegun 15 Jun 2013 11:25:51 59,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metro is not ace

He totally called it

• Deleted user 15 June 2013 11:52:27
    I think the Safari icon looks terrible.
  • RichieTenenbaum 15 Jun 2013 11:59:53 2,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's got too much white around it.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2013 12:08:31
    Yeah, I don't get why it looks like a compass. Safari itself is a big improvement.
  • andijames 16 Jun 2013 00:53:33 2,704 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The OS is fine in itself. I like the minimal look it's just too buggy but that's fine with it being a beta. I just hope they smooth up the transitions as it feels like it takes longer to get between things as it used to

vivir el momento

• DrStrangelove 16 Jun 2013 01:11:39 3,578 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Metro is not ace
    I quite like the look of Metro, even if I don't like using it
  • TarickStonefire 16 Jun 2013 05:28:44 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Yeah, I don't get why it looks like a compass. Safari itself is a big improvement.
    It's a simplification of the original icon, which is a compass.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• craigy Staff 16 Jun 2013 15:54:35 7,567 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just downgraded back to iOS 6.

Seven is a really promising bit of software with some definite improvements over six, and I await the final version with real enthusiasm. Unfortunately the beta introduced a few niggly problems with some of my most-used apps, so I've had to fall back for now.
  • HoriZon 24 Jun 2013 18:09:44 13,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beta 2 is ready to go on the update screen comes in at just over 200mb.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• CharlieStCloud 25 Jun 2013 08:00:04 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Beta 2 is ready to go on the update screen comes in at just over 200mb.
    As I use the Developer tools, I have downloaded the iPad link thingmebob through the developer pages, and after opening the file, I cannot see an .ipsw file ... does the .dmg file(s) that I see require to be extracted?

God, I wish this was a simple process!

Oh, I am using Windows 8 by the way.
  • CharlieStCloud 25 Jun 2013 19:00:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh ... finally!

You had to extract the .hrs (?) file within the blooming folder.

Jesus.

Anyways, got iOS 7 on my iPad and apart from the odd Safari crash or two, it is such a joy to use. The multi-tasking works properly now in that it continues straight off from where you were playing, reading or/and working.

... love the new icons too, although I am well aware that it isn't overly favourable at present.

The wallpaper is also dynamic which not only looks pretty, it is similar to the glittery background used on the PlayStation 3.

There's much to like about this new iOS and I cannot wait until the final article!

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 19:20:06 25-06-2013
  • M83J01P97 25 Jun 2013 19:07:34 6,570 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any truth to the rumours that iOS 7 is a major battery whore on anything that isn't an iPhone 5 or 2nd Gen iPad Retina?

I struggle to get my iPhone 4s through a 9 hour work day most of the time so this sounds little worrying.
  • askew 25 Jun 2013 19:13:07 12,142 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about it at this stage of proceedings. There are still two and a half months to go before it's released to the public.
  • M83J01P97 25 Jun 2013 19:15:25 6,570 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it at this stage of proceedings. There are still two and a half months to go before it's released to the public.
    Yeah that's what I assumed, but still, all these dynamic wallpapers and background updates surely aren't going to be kind to battery life. Unless of course you turn them off... which is a bit pointless and naff really.

Hopefully it's just glitches waiting to be ironed out though.
  • TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 19:18:09 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Erica Sadun argues that while Apple keep saying the training wheels have to come off, removing borders from a lot of buttons isn't necessarily as intuitive as it sounds.

But... I think these days we do all know to tap things in third party apps (that use their own, less iOS-y designs) that look like an interaction, because they usually are.

I think the Back button being a simple arrow was the kind of thing she meant.

I've also read, I think from Arnold Kim, that the use of light Helvetica lacks contrast and clarity. I don't have it on my devices, what do people think?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 19:30:46 25-06-2013

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 19:22:08 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't hate the Settings icon like some do, I kind of like the focus on everything within the circle rather than the comparative chaos of the differently positioned cogs before. I wish there was just a nod more tactility or depth to it, but I fully understand that all that stuff is VERBOTEN now.

I feel like Photobooth should be more obviously a strip of photos. A rectangle with a person in it could be so many things.

It's Newsstand that I can't abide - it's such an ugly mis-shapen mess of stuff. How it fits into the mostly circular-based grid I don't really get.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 19:27:44 25-06-2013

• CharlieStCloud 25 Jun 2013 19:28:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Any truth to the rumours that iOS 7 is a major battery whore on anything that isn't an iPhone 5 or 2nd Gen iPad Retina?
    I am using the new iPad, not the new NEW iPad ... and as far as I can tell, the battery is more or less the same - just a shy over nine hours as it usually was on iOS 6.

As for the Helvetica font, it is perfectly fine albeit admittedly not as bold (as the previous font).

At the end of the day, all these tiny little niggles shall be ironed out in a couple of months time.
  • Tonka 25 Jun 2013 19:31:51 20,146 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like how apple are trying their hands at the long game and are focusing on an entirely new user base. The old look was all gold, pinstripes and polished wood. The new look says "Hey, look at me. I like spring break and cut offs"

iOS 6 = Donald Trump
    iOS 7 = Snooki

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• dazcox5181 25 Jun 2013 19:49:30 292 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud you really don't use the developer tools on windows 8 lol if you actually had a mac you'd see the DMG is a disk image (like an ISO) that you mount and the .ipsw is on there. There are utilities to extract it on windows if you look

http://gizmodad.co.uk

• CharlieStCloud 25 Jun 2013 20:10:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dazcox5181 wrote:
    You really don't use the developer tools on Windows 8. If you actually had a Mac you'd see the DMG is a disk image (like an ISO) that you mount and the .ipsw is on there. There are utilities to extract it on windows if you look.
    Well, I have sorted it out now, but thank you I guess!

... I extracted the .dmg file, but on Windows you have to extract another file within the file, hence my mild annoyance earlier this morning.

I don't have a Mac though because I prefer Windows.
  • Widge Moderator 26 Jun 2013 09:03:44 13,400 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This will mean very little to most, but the inter-app audio function looks like it could overhaul how I use my iPad for music:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/06/apple-adds-inter-app-audio-with-not-before-seen-features-to-ios-7/

Could turn Cubasis from a bit of a scratchpad curio into something much more powerful.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• HoriZon 26 Jun 2013 13:14:27 13,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New coverflow is gash on iOS7 lots are black too until I delete and readd them that is.

• TarickStonefire 26 Jun 2013 13:28:58 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't realise coverflow was still even a thing, actually!

• TarickStonefire 26 Jun 2013 13:29:47 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I like how apple are trying their hands at the long game and are focusing on an entirely new user base. The old look was all gold, pinstripes and polished wood. The new look says "Hey, look at me. I like spring break and cut offs"

iOS 6 = Donald Trump
    iOS 7 = Snooki
    Um.

Okaaaaaaay

• Dirtbox 26 Jun 2013 13:35:46 77,635 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Coverflow. Wasn't that that thing that looked cool on adverts 8 years ago and no one ever used because it was pointless shit?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 26 Jun 2013 14:20:04 59,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With the joyous way iTunes organised your library you often had 20 versions of the same cover.

He totally called it

• Widge Moderator 26 Jun 2013 14:57:58 13,400 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh that was a pain in the arse. Required setting Album Artist to the same thing. Happens a lot on DJ mixes.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• HoriZon 26 Jun 2013 21:41:50 13,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iPad version looks good but not adding it to mine as playing some games on it dont want it to mess with that.

Main stuff from beta 2:

Welcome Screen: iOS 7 beta 2 introduced a new Welcome Screen that asks for an iCloud password, allows users to turn on iMessages and choose associated email addresses, and set up a passcode on the device.

Voice Memos: The Voice Memos app was missing from the first iOS 7 beta, but with beta 2, the app has returned and is now fully functional.

Find My iPhone: The Find My iPhone setting in iCloud now offers up new language that specifies that the app will help users "remotely locate, lock, erase, and prevent re-activation" of a lost iPhone.

Siri: Siri requests seem to load much faster with the new iteration of iOS 7 and there are also male and female voice options available. These can be accessed in the General Settings under the Siri heading, which offers a new Voice Gender option. While male and female voices have been available in other languages, this is the first time English male/female voices can be activated.

Control Center: Parts of the Control Center have had a slight redesign, with a new clock icon. The icon, which was previously dark, is now a simple clock outline.

Notifications: Some iOS 7 users were having issues with double notifications, which users report has been fixed in beta 2. Apple's release notes, however, state that some apps "may receive duplicate push notifications or no notification at all."

Reminders: Reminders has had a slight redesign with a new list layout that is more compact than the previous layout, and a new clock icon next to the search bar will allow users to locate scheduled reminders.

iCloud: iCloud Backups are now available once again. The first iOS 7 beta did not support automatic backups.

Spotlight: Searching via Spotlight is much quicker, with results being displayed almost instantaneously with far less of the lag that was present in the first beta.

Messages: The Messages "Send" button is bold and turns green or blue when text is typed. There's also a new bubble animation shown when messages are sent. Swiping to the left on a message will display time stamps. Group chats in Messages also display contact photos next to texts.

Music: The music app has seen a number of bug fixes to correct interface errors and other issues. Lock screen album art has also been repaired for the iPhone 4/4S.

Weather: In the weather app, a new icon on the bottom right of the screen brings up a listing of the weather in all of the cities tracked in the app.

Multitasking: Swiping up to close out apps works much more smoothly on the iPhone 5 following the update to beta 2.

iPad Camera: As noted by 9to5Mac, iOS 7 adds an HDR option to the camera on the iPad.

• Page

of 25 First / Last