Scariest film you have ever seen Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• mal 4 Apr 2013 18:15:56 22,337 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the first Candyman still holds up well today. The horror overtones might have diminished over time, but it's still a cracking psych thriller with a solid soundtrack.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 4 April 2013 18:19:24
    mal wrote:
    I think the first Candyman still holds up well today. The horror overtones might have diminished over time, but it's still a cracking psych thriller with a solid soundtrack.
    Not seen it for years, great film but don't find slasher movies that scary to be honest
  • Bremenacht 4 Apr 2013 18:22:36 17,613 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Back in 1982 I bet poltergeist made you shit your pants.

Its aged quite badly now and you could argue films like Sinister, Insidious and the upcoming "The Conjuring" probably do it better.

However for me Poltergeist 2 is really fucking creepy, with the dolls, the toy phone and that creepy fucking religious old guy Kane. It still holds up today
    And that one with the flying ball with the nasty spike. I think the film itself was shit, but the thought of a horrible flying ball impaling itself in your skull... brrrr.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 18:39:01
    You mean Phantasm
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 18:45:07
    Speaking of low budget 70s horror

Blood Beach always freaked me out
  • Bremenacht 4 Apr 2013 18:46:14 17,613 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, that's it.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 18:50:00
    This also fucking scared me back as a kid in 1979

Prophecy

Directed by John Frankenheimer

the Trailer back in the 80s made me shit a brick

Edited by espibara at 18:54:08 04-04-2013

Edited by espibara at 18:54:35 04-04-2013
  • Tabasco 4 Apr 2013 19:01:39 5,780 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OptimusPube

/Has the DVD... :p Loved the fact that people went ballistic cause they thought it was real. Shows it's age now, but man, back then it was unlike anything else at the time.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Apr 2013 19:03:56 10,686 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No mention yet of Watership Down. I'm guessing that if you're around my age, the black rabbit, the gassing scene and the General vs Bigwig fight will have scarred you for life.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deleted user 4 April 2013 19:08:30
    Jesus Christ watership down............thats one fucked up movie.

Remember sitting down to watch watership down and The Wizards as an animation doubleheader as a 6yr old.

So much for my parents
  • Futaba 4 Apr 2013 19:59:18 3,461 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just remembered a couple of others, Creepshow (with the hitchhiker) was pretty scary. Also the naked old woman in The Shining was horrible :(

localnotail wrote:
    Futaba wrote:
    Poltergiest freaked me out when I saw it as an 8 year old, the clown was the worst part for me.
    This, and the tree. And the guy pulling his face off. I was 12 though, but I was also watching it in a caravan in a friend's garden, during a thunderstorm.
    Yeah the face-tearing scene was pretty well done.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Arrr9 4 Apr 2013 20:08:17 401 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella - Thanks for posting that, for some reason this film popped into my head the other day and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called. Well worth a watch though as it's got a very unsettling atmosphere and the premise alone is eerie.

Poltergeist when watched below the age of 8 / 9 or so is the scariest film ever though thanks to that damned clown, it also has the added benefit of making IT a scary film and cursing you with coulrophobia.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 20:08:35
    Paranormal Activity 2 freaked me out, to the point where I simply switched it off.

Just like the first film, it feels like more of the same. They almost seem silly, and not good entertaining films in anyway. That said, thereís no denying, they are scary.

To watch Paranormal activity you have to watch it at home, at night, alone. During the first film, I switched off half way through, and carried on in the morning, once the sun was up. Even then, it freaked me out.

During Paranormal Activity 2, thereís a scene where a woman is looking out the window, all we see is her back. There is a sense she is about to turn around. I didnít want to see what I was about to see, so I switched off.

Paranormal Activity 3 is supposed to be good, while 4 is supposed to be trash. Whatever the reality, Iím seeing neither.
  • rare_uk 4 Apr 2013 20:20:47 3,562 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For me it would have to be Blair Witch Project, the first paranormal activity (EVERY noise at night freaked me out after that film), Rec (Spanish Version), and Salem Lot... you know the bit.

Apart from Salem Lot it would seem I like the shaky camera type films.

I watched Paranormal on my own with surround sound full blast. At some point I was going to turn it off as I couldn't handle it. I turned the volume down instead and refused to look at one half of the screen. Ace!

Edited by rare_uk at 20:23:38 04-04-2013
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 20:22:37
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Watch this film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpDiQimK6U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Very graphic film, not a scary film as such but made you think that there's probably people out there that think /do this type of thing.
    I found it scary, Graphic too, definitely horrifying. To some degree animals have to endure painful sh-t like that in the name of science, inflicted by so called educated people.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Apr 2013 20:24:39 14,404 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I say it everytime we have this type of thread:
    The Changeling (1980) George C. Scott

"How did you die, Joseph...? Did you die in this house...? Why do you remain...?"

If you have not seen it, you really need to.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 4 April 2013 20:29:48
    rare_uk wrote:
    For me it would have to be Blair Witch Project, the first paranormal activity (EVERY noise at night freaked me out after that film), Rec (Spanish Version), and Salem Lot... you know the bit.

Apart from Salem Lot it would seem I like the shaky camera type films
    Finally got to see Blair Witch Project last year. To be honest, I wasnít expecting much, as back when the trailer originally aired, it made me think: cheap low budget over hyped rubbish.

Sure the film looks raw, itís supposed to, and I didnít mind it. It ticks along, keeping the viewer engaged. I stuck with it, not really being scared. The closing moments is where it is at. I was drawn in, gripped by the horror. I became so focused during the closing moments, I had no control. It was like I was there, in that house! - Iím not even sure what I was seeing. I felt really scared.

Edited by blacksea at 20:30:48 04-04-2013
  • Deleted user 4 April 2013 20:37:17
    The Shining can be creepy, scary, for all manner of reasons. The amount of times the viewer (atleast I was) is hit with a sense of being inside a huge isolated hotel is chilling.
  • OptimusPube 4 Apr 2013 21:17:57 2,907 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A few horrors that freaked me out include, Jeepers Creepers, The Hills Have Eyes, The Ring, The Grudge, the Original Saw, The original The Thing, Amityville, when I was really little Freddy Krueger scared the shit out of me but it is laughably bad now, it also starred a very young Johnny Depp, and I think Silent Hill has its moments, also Signs was a little bit creepy.

As for Event Horizon that didn't scare me at all and neither did any of the Alien Films apart from the chest burster scene but that was more of a jump moment than scare the shit out of me with suspense moment.

Gremlins as a kid when they're all in the cinema melting from the water was some creepy gory shit back then, how that film was a PG is ridiculous, they wouldn't let that happen now, it would be at least a 12 now.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC≤

• Dougs 4 Apr 2013 21:20:11 66,671 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    @hucklefoot I completely agree. First few minutes were captivating and interesting. Then it just went to shit. Shame.
    Indeed. Showing Jeepers totally ruined it, no suspense after that. Strange decision.

Suspense films are what get me. The Shining,† Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch etc. Gore I can take but suspense does need in. The Descent is one of the best in recent years.

Remember as an 8 year old, an old Disney film called Watcher in the Woods giving me nightmares. The Evil Dead on pirate home video shit me up too, at about the same age.
  • ronuds 4 Apr 2013 21:24:15 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Futaba wrote:
    Just remembered a couple of others, Creepshow (with the hitchhiker) was pretty scary. Also the naked old woman in The Shining was horrible :(
    Creepshow! The ape thing creeped me out the most.

Also, Event Horizon was a good one.

Edited by ronuds at 21:25:51 04-04-2013
  • Page

of 7 First / Last