Micro SIM card cut! Ahhh!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • mikew1985 2 Apr 2013 10:23:06 12,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So... I've carried out the above procedure of cutting a normal sim without issue. I did the same last night to my work sim as I wanted to fit it in my personal galaxy s3 I'm travelling for work at the moment.

So I cut the card, I think better than the last time but it would seem I botched it and the card now won't work in either an iPhone 4s or my galaxy. All contacts look undamaged but you do have to cut quite close to the edge I suppose. Has anyone had similar issue or managed to save the sim from the brink?

Edited by mikew1985 at 10:24:10 02-04-2013
  • Sponz 2 Apr 2013 10:27:39 648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you got a micro-sim to normal sim adapter? If not get one from your local phone shop and see if it still works in the original phone?

Is the iphone or S3 sim locked to a particular network? Perhaps the cut sim is a different provider?

Try using a pencil eraser on the sim contacts to clean them.

Perhaps you were staticly un-discharged and have cooked it?
  • mal 2 Apr 2013 10:38:56 22,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Main risk I'd have thought with cutting through the contacts which are directly wired to the silicon is disturbing them enough to sever the connection. I know what it's like when I cut up my last old credit card - those contacts pop off soon as look at them.

Only thing I can think to try would be to stick it under a stack of books for a day or two, to see if the pressure will bring the contacts back in touch with the chip.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• dominalien 2 Apr 2013 10:49:40 6,843 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you sure you didn't cut the diagonal notch in the wrong side?

Try to notice where the contact slide in right now - they're probably not in exactly the same places as they were before and this could give you a clue on how to adjust the card to make it slide in the right way.

Fortunately, the chip itself is very small in the middle of the contact area, so it's actually pretty hard to damage it/the connections by cutting into them on the outside. It can be done, of course, so it may happen that you'll need to order a replacement card.

PSN: DonOsito

• mikew1985 2 Apr 2013 11:15:26 12,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the suggestions lads, I'll give a couple of them a try. I'm certain the diagonal etc. are in the right place, I have my own micro sim to compare it with.

Both phones unlocked but both sims are Vodafone anyway.

I'm currently at the main train station in bratislava heading to Czech, so I'm unfortunately not in a position to pop to my local store! I would decide to cut it at 7 on a bank holiday Monday before being due to fly out of the country silly early the next day!

Vodafone in Czech though so might get some joy if I can find a store there.
  • dominalien 2 Apr 2013 11:32:49 6,843 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think you'll be able to get a replacement UK sim in the Czech Republic, even in a Vodafone store. And yeah, the timing you chose for this was a little off.

PSN: DonOsito

• THFourteen 2 Apr 2013 11:37:24 33,083 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doh unlucky.

I have a micro SIM card cutter that I got from amazon for a fiver.

Works a treat and cut three sims with it already :-)
  • Deleted user 2 April 2013 11:39:13
    mikew1985 wrote:

I'm currently at the main train station in bratislava ...
    My condolences.
  • mikew1985 2 Apr 2013 14:17:25 12,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I don't think you'll be able to get a replacement UK sim in the Czech Republic, even in a Vodafone store. And yeah, the timing you chose for this was a little off.
    UK sim wouldn't be much use to me either ;p
  • mikew1985 2 Apr 2013 14:18:43 12,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

I'm currently at the main train station in bratislava ...
    My condolences.
    It's basically the only thing I've seen in the city. Straight from the airport. However it certainly doesn't look like a spot of particular beauty
  • neilka 2 Apr 2013 14:30:21 15,806 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you do cut your SIM incorrectly, try not to cut your SIM incorrectly.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next