Laptop won't boot. Any ideas/suggestions?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Rusty_M 1 Apr 2013 18:03:30 4,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have an Acer Aspire 6530g which I bought around the start of 2009. It's mainly used by my wife. Today, it has decided it won't boot, or even reach the BIOS screen. When the power button is pressed, the lights all come on, the HDD and BD drive spin up, and the fan spins for around a second. It then turns itself off, before trying to start again. It repeats this process. It has had this issue for a few years, but it would always start within 4-5 cycles of turning itself on/off. Now it just goes on forever.

I looked for related threads using google as well as the site search and came up dry. Google has also come up with possible fixes/causes. I have tried the following:
    Boot only on battery
    Boot only on mains power
    Swapped RAM between slots/tried each stick individually in each slot.
    Held power button down for 60 seconds.
    Disconnected from all forms of power for about 30 minutes
    Eliminated HDD issue by putting the HDD in my PC.

At the moment I suspect an issue with the GPU or System Board, so I suppose it's dead.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Deleted user 1 April 2013 18:07:16
    CMOS battery dead?
  • Rusty_M 1 Apr 2013 18:25:15 4,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hadn't checked that. Thanks. Might take me a while to look into it, as it appears to use a non-standard one. Bloody laptops!

• Deleted user 1 April 2013 18:30:00
    May or may not be of any use, just seen it happen a couple of times before in those exact circumstances - albeit with desktops.
  • Rusty_M 1 Apr 2013 20:39:45 4,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The bloody thing was glued to the MB and had a rubber cover, which is now kaput. I've found out which make/model the actual battery is, so instead of having to pay 20 for a used CMOS battery assembly for the laptop, I've ordered just the battery for 2.50. It looks like I'll have to glue the terminals directly to the battery, but it seems like it's worth a shot.

• SpaceDave3000 1 Apr 2013 20:45:14 78,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just in case do something silly, you should be aware that glue doesn't conduct electricity. Glueing it probably isn't a good idea.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Rusty_M 1 Apr 2013 21:06:54 4,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was going to only glue part of it to leave some un-glued metal in contact with the battery. Or maybe I'll think of another method before the thing arrives. It's not as if there's much to lose. The thing's not working.

Edit: I suppose I could borrow a soldering iron, but that seems too sensible.

Edited by Rusty_M at 21:07:56 01-04-2013

• Page

of 1

Previous Next