Defiance on Xbox Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• RedSparrows 3 Apr 2013 21:40:27 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a lot of fun this evening, tooling about. Shadow War is pretty nuts, if a bit disorganised.
  • RedSparrows 3 Apr 2013 21:41:17 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Nice idea, but the game itself looks a bit ... shit...
    Yeah, this is my train of thought. I would be tempted but it doesn't look any cop.
    It's not going to set the world on fire, and has issues (like any other of its genre at launch), but it's a working, fun, MMO on consoles. Fine with me.
  • Gartt 3 Apr 2013 23:12:45 1,687 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel like I deserve an achievement just for getting to the menu,I haven't had to wait this long for a game to finish installing and patching since gran turismo.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Apr 2013 23:14:49 24,550 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah. Just got some critical error that's apparently caused by installing it all too early. That'll teach me to be proactive, had to delete everything and start again :(

Guess I'll be on tomorrow now...
  • Sandhurst 4 Apr 2013 09:19:09 78 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Throw me on the list as well

GT: Sandhurst
  • B4TTLEBORN 4 Apr 2013 11:49:28 20 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    OMGOMGOMGOMG!!

I've taken the plastic wrapper off, there's no turning back now!

Complete newbie to this sort of thing so I'm hoping someone will be able to hold hands with me whilst i get to grips with it all.

GT: B4TTLEB0RN

Yes the 0 is a zero!

EDIT: Christ on a bike, I'm glad i didn't decide to leave the install procedure until i got home tonight. Probably taking longer to patch than it did to programme!!

Edited by B4TTLEBORN at 11:56:12 04-04-2013
  • RedSparrows 4 Apr 2013 12:08:30 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Add me BB, RedSparrows!

I can't log on atm. Should take that as a sign to go and do some work...
  • neilqpr 4 Apr 2013 14:52:52 2,796 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Front page updated with all the names so far, just started the install process so should be done some time before the end of the month.
  • B4TTLEBORN 4 Apr 2013 16:48:22 20 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Had a good hour on it earlier, was much happier when I'd acquired my wheels as i was panicking thinking i had missed a quest for it. Good things come to those who impatiently wait hehe.

Noticed a few little glitches but I'm not really one for being that bothered providing their not game breakers. Most annoying thing to happen was i couldn't complete a quest as the game wouldn't register my "hold x to interact" command for about 5 mins!

Maybe it was due to lots of other people being around and having to que for my turn or something?!?!.

How does the grouping work in this game, does everyone party up before heading into the game or is it easy to do in game? And whats the max number of group members?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm stuck at work until 10pm and want to get as much of a heads up about stuff as possible lol.
  • RedSparrows 4 Apr 2013 17:15:23 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grouping works like this:

You can invite anyone who is not already in a group, into your group.

The leader can queue everyone in the group for PvP/PvE maps + Shadow War - it's all very slick, obvious and efficient.

You cannot invite people IF you are queued for a thing they cannot access: e.g. inviting someone to Shadow War when they've just started out.

I believe the max is 4, but I could well be wrong.

Then you have the clans on top of that, which is just a big group, albeit with the info hidden in the UI.

---

I also unlocked contracts, like Fletch: oh no! Grind! I feared as much... but then realised you just get rewarded for doing the usual stuff, and don't need to cash in contracts. Jolly good.
  • Vortex808 4 Apr 2013 20:13:33 6,551 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow. This is a long installation process!
  • B4TTLEBORN 4 Apr 2013 20:23:27 20 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Not half!

I had to keep checking that the installation loop bug thingy wasn't in action.

I'd say mine was a good 45 minutes at around 12pm, i should hope you have better luck at this time!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Apr 2013 20:23:31 24,550 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't been able to get on so far tonight.
  • Vortex808 4 Apr 2013 20:48:49 6,551 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On to patch number 3. Only 2mins this time. Glad i can achieve 1MB/sec or this would take a hell of a long time.

Wish fibre was out here already!

Edit:I was excited for a minute, but it's optimising now. Sheesh.

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:50:59 04-04-2013
  • RedSparrows 4 Apr 2013 20:56:10 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When I patched pre-launch, it was pretty quick. Must be server demand.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Apr 2013 20:58:02 24,550 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think the servers are melting. I've had nothing but the "Critical: Your connection to the Defiance servers has timed out" message all night so far.
  • RedSparrows 4 Apr 2013 21:02:05 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, had that earlier. It's gonna be shaky for a while, probably.

I drove down to the big bridge. Oh boy.

Nice variety of enemies, overall. Need more in the long-run though - I hope so anyway!
  • neilqpr 4 Apr 2013 21:26:42 2,796 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been playing since 3 on and off without any issues, must just be lucky I guess.

Cheers for the help there Fletch/Sparrows. Still trying to work out what going on in some regards, still clueless as to how the weapon mods work.

It's great fun though, if anyone played the beta and enjoyed it then you really should get it.
  • Vortex808 4 Apr 2013 21:37:23 6,551 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any way to alter hair colour etc, or am i just dim?

Also, how do i join folk, raids etc?
  • RedSparrows 4 Apr 2013 21:56:58 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hair colour is done at the start - when you make your character, LB/RB for different things to tweak.

In overworld, you don't actively join: you just contribute to local events, automatically.

You can invite using the d-pad, and join instances the same way. All social, like Burnout Paradise, is off that small D.
  • Vortex808 4 Apr 2013 23:12:40 6,551 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks. Guess I'm stuck with a ginger bloke then. I'm not restarting now having got to level 39. I will investigate whether I can alter that now.

It's a lot of fun, but I got booted for the servers to be patched I think. I can see myself spdnding  bit of time with this. It's a bit rough and ready still, but fun dnough for tooling about and just helping random folk out as you pass by.

It'll definitely take some learning for all the nuances though.
  • RedSparrows 4 Apr 2013 23:53:09 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As an MMO it will, of course, only get more content, features and stuff. And fixes.

I am enjoying it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Apr 2013 00:05:30 24,550 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon I'll probably enjoy it if it ever lets me login... Fingers crossed this new patch will do something.
  • RedSparrows 5 Apr 2013 11:00:14 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry you are having troubles SH :( There might be workarounds on the hellpit that is the official forum?

I was going to send clan invites to Vortex, Neil, Tryhard et al last night, but the server went down before I could. Fletch, as guild founder, can also add.

Word of advice: Start > LT holds a world of info. Loads to look through - intel, social features (clan list etc), goals/contracts, etc.
  • fletch7100 5 Apr 2013 11:10:59 6,158 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Like the scaling at the moment. Went back to the start area and the enemies were still a nice little challenge. Not steamrolling them.

Still had the vanishing monarchs during the major Arkfall when there was 2 of them. Was much smoother gameplay than beta and launch day. So I'm sure it will be constantly updated to fix that.

Finally past a story mission boss that was winding me up:)
  • RedSparrows 5 Apr 2013 11:16:38 20,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think there's going to be a lot of whining over the scaling.

In some respects it's fair enough, but since when did anyone actually find going to Elwynn Forest at 85 (or w/e it is now) and killing lvl 7 mobs fun? GW2 has it right, and this effectively apes that, in a sense.

Weapons seem to (mainly) improve by bonuses, not basic damage. Given the level/loot grind is normally orientated around +10 weapon, but fighting against a +10 mob, it's all a bit moot for me.

Edited by RedSparrows at 11:17:53 05-04-2013
  • fletch7100 5 Apr 2013 11:21:48 6,158 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RedSparrows

I have no problems with the loot. It's finding that right weapon with the right bonus stats, then finding the right mods, then finding the right synergy mods as well. On the lookout for another grenade firing shotgun now. Have got a nice variety of assault rifles each slightly different in their firing modes.

But if EGO cap is 5000 at launch, won't be much difference in weapon damage at the low hundred ranks. Probably be more about bonus stats and mods at the higher ranks
  • Vortex808 5 Apr 2013 11:38:44 6,551 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @RedSparrows

I have no problems with the loot. It's finding that right weapon with the right bonus stats, then finding the right mods, then finding the right synergy mods as well. On the lookout for another grenade firing shotgun now. Have got a nice variety of assault rifles each slightly different in their firing modes.

:eek: What did that mean? I have a *lot* to learn!

I hope I can start adding mods etc soon. At lev 59 not being able to do that, but having a small(16) inventory means I am either hoarding stuff or selling stuff I might want to keep. Bah.

I love the borderlands-y need for a better weapon or shield etc.

Plus the map seems to be massive. Quests do seems to be a little bit 'go here, shoot them, press that', but I hope they will evolve a bit more in time. I can still live with that though. It was never a problem doing basically the same in skyrim or borderlands.

I may try to head to the golden gate bridge over the weekend, or is it better to be more levelled up first?
  • fletch7100 5 Apr 2013 11:54:22 6,158 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Vortex808

Should visit the bridge for the views :)

Ok about synergy mods :)
    Once you hit level 250 you unlock vendor challenges. Just like weekly/daily tasks. Complete these and get vendor credits that only work with certain vendors. So echelon credits only work with echelon vendors. The contracts are on same section as the pursuits list, just on a different tab. You acquire vendor credits to buy better weapons and synergy mods. Can also buy a random couple of synergy mods from lock boxes

Synergy mods, are named mods that give extra bonuses when you have 1 or more of the same named mods on your weapon. Example mod named Brutal, 1 brutal mod 5%extra melee damage,2 brutal mods on same weapon 10% melee damage,3 was I think shield recharge 5 % after melee kill, 4 mods 10%. You will still have whatever bonus the mod gives you as well crit damage etc

Found lmg that regens ammo for you,not enough vendor credits for it

No idea what the mods will be like once you break rank 1000. Hoping for more inventory slots and perk slot when I break 500

Edited by fletch7100 at 11:57:09 05-04-2013
  • Deleted user 5 April 2013 11:56:02
    Think I'll wait for Destiny instead.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last