Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain Page 3

• Page

of 193 First / Last

• Deleted user 28 March 2013 14:38:22
    At its heart it's not really that complicated a plot, though. Maybe over the course of all five (six?) games it gets convoluted, but a single movie wouldn't encompass all of them anyway. It's no more complicated than your average Tom Clancy technothriller, really. It just has a bit more sci-fi behind it.
  • HarryPalmer 28 Mar 2013 14:39:47 5,279 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The crazier the better imo.

MGS4 was a hoot, even though now I couldn't possibly tell you what it was about.

The hospital escape looks brilliant.
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 14:41:20 72,033 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of the main problems it suffers with is that by introducing 'complicated' concepts like PMCs, it has to spend an hour explaining them to the shit thick audience.

It labours the point about absolutely *everything*.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 14:43:25
    Yeah. It's not complicated, it just pretends it is with massive amounts of exposition.
  • bobdebob 28 Mar 2013 14:48:34 601 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It just has a bit more sci-fi behind it.
    A bit? They have fully working AI and prosthetics in the 70's. (Yeah, I know it's a game.)
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 14:52:50
    Not that far beyond some of the more esoteric Clancy stuff (especially the ones that aren't written by him but just feature his branding), to be honest.
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 14:57:31 72,033 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It speaks volumes about the plot that almost everyone in this thread who professes to love it also has no fucking clue about whats going on.

I really like them but there are plot aspects that I read about that have completely passed me by or I simply dont care enough about to listen.

All that foxdie nonsense, for example. Get to the fucking point.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 15:03:21
    Most of the weirdness is just due to heavy retconning. Didn't Foxdie change from "something that will kill Snake" to "something that won't kill Snake" to "something that gives Snake superpowers" to "something that causes Snake to age quickly"?
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 15:05:30
    See my earlier point about not taking any of that shite in.
  • bad09 28 Mar 2013 15:10:51 8,054 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ooooh, while they confirmed only PS360 for now it's possible Konami are (annoyingly) pulling a Rockstar. RPS asked and got back

"We cannot confirm [a PC version] at this time."

PC confirmed.

Edited by bad09 at 15:11:34 28-03-2013
  • bobdebob 28 Mar 2013 15:14:49 601 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Most of the weirdness is just due to heavy retconning. Didn't Foxdie change from "something that will kill Snake" to "something that won't kill Snake" to "something that gives Snake superpowers" to "something that causes Snake to age quickly"?
    Don't forget the Liquid Snake hand.
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 15:18:12 72,033 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I have literally no idea and ive played every MGS game going.
  • Humperfunk 28 Mar 2013 15:25:21 7,094 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Definitely got my bum out for this, probably my favourite series of games.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 15:46:55
    That link explains the story perfectly and actually highlights a pretty damn decent and coherent story that has apparently completely passed me by.
  • SolidSCB 28 Mar 2013 17:46:45 9,969 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The core story isn't all that complicated to follow. It's when it starts exploring the underlying theme of 'passing shit on to the next generation' in meticulous detail that confuses a lot of people I think as it mixes in heavily with the bulk of the cutscenes, especially in 2 and 4.
  • morriss 28 Mar 2013 17:53:31 71,290 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Like the earlier post, completing MGS1 was magical. A real defining moment. Will never forget playing that game and experiencing the sheer creativity.

Hence why every iteration since has been a crushing disappointment.

Fooled me thrice, won't fool me again.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Mar 2013 20:39:16 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I think what confuses people is the difference between the plot and the story. The overall plot to the games is pretty easy to grasp. The story lines are extremely convoluted, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

One of the reasons I think Metal Gear Solid works so well is that compared to the amount of story that isn't optional, a lot of it is and Kojima makes sure to tantalize players who aren't grasping everything with those optional hooks, but then never quite makes anything easy to understand or grasp. This gives Metal Gear a lot of its long lasting flavor.
  • wogsy81 28 Mar 2013 21:19:24 761 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be honest.
    I love the plot for each single game and always look forward and enjoy each and every cutscene and rambling codec sequence. (Except for some of Rose's ramblings. They took the piss i admit.) MGS1 was my favourite of the plots and dare i say the simplest to follow.
    Now i know about fatman, psyco mantis, revolver O, Metal gear ray, Diarrhea guy gets Meryl etc etc. I love loads about the games characters and motives.

Its just the whole series timeline that im not familiar with. Or this solid/solidus, big boss/little boss, possessed by a dead arm type stuff that baffles me.
    I know a guy on neogaf who is a expert on all things MGS. He studies each games levels and plotline significantly and even he gets confused now and again.
    Regardless i still love each and every game. MGS1 and MGS3 being standouts obviously.

As Jin said above, i wouldn't have it any other way.
    MGS4 was the reason i bought my PS3. I bought it the day MGS4 launched as their was no way i was missing out. I was quite happy with my 360 untill MGS 4 came along.
    And to be totally honest. As much as im looking forward to playing GTA V, The Last Guardian and Bioshock Infinite i wouldn't actually buy a console just to play them. MGS is the only game that is a system seller for me.
    And i like playing a lot of games let me tell ya.

Fuck me, im rambling on like a codec sequence. I must stop drinking.
    Im gonna go now.
  • bobdebob 28 Mar 2013 21:51:06 601 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MGS1's realistic (relatively), contemporary setting and tight, lean dialogue must have been a fluke, every other MGS I've realised is just straight-up anime clichés and 'homages' to blockbuster films. (They all lose the accents afterwards and Hayter's Old Snake voice wasn't great.)

There's a interview of the translator for MGS1, who is probably one of the reasons why MGS1 had such a different feel to the sequels.
  • King_Edward 28 Mar 2013 22:04:37 11,470 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tight, lean dialogue? You should go back and play that one again. 20 minutes locked in a cell chatting on the codec is one of my favourite ever scenes from a game.
  • bobdebob 29 Mar 2013 02:32:32 601 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Tight, lean dialogue? You should go back and play that one again. 20 minutes locked in a cell chatting on the codec is one of my favourite ever scenes from a game.
    Maybe I will, but if it ruins nostalgic memories I have of MGS1, I will punch you in the head. I'm damn sure it has better dialogue than MGS4/2.
  • SolidSCB 29 Mar 2013 04:15:17 9,969 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So looking forward to this. The MGS series is the only reason I keep my nose in the game industry. As has already been said, they are on a higher level to the regular AAA releases. First trailer has put it on a different plain to anything out there.
  • JinTypeNoir 29 Mar 2013 04:21:02 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow. Human memory is a powerful thing. Back in the days of the original Metal Gear Solid, you had nothing but endless, endless discussions of how Kojima was killing real gameplay with such long cut scenes and dialogue sequences and how he all but revealed how to play through in the codec sequences. I remember it vividly because it was some of the first times I'd ever seen what people had to say about games on the nets.

People think there's something of a backlash to the streamlining of games today? To me, its not even close to the uproar about the issue back then. then you should have heard people rag on games like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Ocarina of Time. A lot of people said they weren't really games because of that. Yes, time has proven their durability, but it has also washed away all the criticism that those groundbreaking games brought with them.
  • bobdebob 29 Mar 2013 12:07:36 601 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't know what people you hung around with but oot, mgs1 and ff7 got nothing but praise except from people who didn't like RPGs or didn't have an N64.

But I didn't get the internet until 2001, so I don't what the internet thought.

And Kojima did kill gameplay in MGS4.

Edited by bobdebob at 12:09:05 29-03-2013
  • King_Edward 6 Jun 2013 19:02:50 11,470 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So Hayter got the boot for Kiefer fucking Sutherland. Just horrible.
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Jun 2013 19:20:00 5,812 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    So Hayter got the boot for Kiefer fucking Sutherland. Just horrible.
    Yeah ... a bit of shock there, me thinks.

Hayter will always be Snake to me though.

Was there any NEW footage shown on the Konami pre-E3 thingummy?
  • Benno 6 Jun 2013 19:21:28 11,687 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jack Bauer?? Oh dear this is going to sound so weird. What a stupid stupid decision.
  • ronuds 6 Jun 2013 19:31:35 21,781 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How did morriss know about Kiefer months ago?
  • Deleted user 6 June 2013 19:34:20
    ronuds wrote:
    How did morriss know about Kiefer months ago?
    It was announced at GDC.
  • ronuds 6 Jun 2013 19:43:55 21,781 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Everyone seems surprised by it?
  • Page

of 193 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.