Warframe

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • freaxgamer 27 Mar 2013 13:15:13 1,604 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't find a thread about it.

Awesome Game, just downloaded this morning and started playing it.

Anyone else look into this Free Game?

If you don't know what it is, it is a free-to-plauy 3rd peron online shooter.

I seem to like it.
  • Shikasama 27 Mar 2013 13:16:19 6,277 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Warhaven't Warheard Warof Warthis Warbefore
  • freaxgamer 27 Mar 2013 13:25:59 1,604 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    it is also available on Steam FreePlay.

Eurogamer has info on the product too
  • Widge Moderator 27 Mar 2013 14:35:35 12,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Alpha footage for people with a fear of other websites.

Looks ok and winner of best F2P recently? Might have a DL of it.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Widge Moderator 27 Mar 2013 14:42:16 12,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And just in case people want to know how the F2P element works:

All players will begin their journey with 50 Platinum. This valuable currency can purchase equipment that greatly increases your strength. You can use it to acquire a rare Orokin Catalyst or Reactor, which supercharges your equipment and unlocks its maximum potential. You could also try an Affinity Booster which doubles the rate your equipment ranks up for 72 hours. Platinum can be used to expand the amount of space available for you to Store Weapons and Warframes, and is also used to recharge your Warframe's ability to Revive itself. Platinum cannot be found during missions, so think carefully before you spend it. You can click the Buy Platinum heading to open your internet browser and purchase additional Platinum to help you in Warframe.

Reviving:

Each Warframe has the power to self-revive 4 times every 24 hours. If you run out of revives, you can wait until the next day for them to automatically recharge or consume Platinum to receive them right away. If you choose not to revive in a mission, your Warframe is not destroyed and will still survive to play other missions. Learning when to use revives and when itís worth simply forfeiting a mission is all part of playing Warframe!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• SloveenEfsei 19 Apr 2013 01:57:28 10 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    woah. limited revives in a day? uhh, as good as warframe looks i think this won't satisfy my daily FPS needs :(
  • telboy007 21 Jan 2014 11:37:07 375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There doesn't seem to be much love for this game on Eurogamer. I play this a lot, I am in a small clan and we've build all the various research rooms. We're currently running orokin and tower missions for prime and corrupted mods.

The grind is strong in this one.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• FanBoysSuck 21 Jan 2014 12:21:31 1,385 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's fun for a quick bash but it feels like a beta product, it needs some work before it can expect a decent following IMO. It's a shame really, I like the aesthetic and the whole cyborg ninja thing.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 12:22:02 21-01-2014

For the emperor!

• fletch7100 21 Jan 2014 12:21:45 6,174 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @telboy007

I'm usually playing this on PS4. Yup the grind is strong. Only completed half the planets so far.
  • PenguinJim 6 Feb 2014 17:11:54 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm enjoying this a surprising amount. I'd been meaning to play for a few months after thingy at Penny Arcade mentioned liking it, and finally got it installed earlier this week. I'm now at 83 hours played. :champ:

In fact, I think... I'm going to spend a few bucks on ingame currency! :o
  • fletch7100 6 Feb 2014 18:06:41 6,174 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim

There is a discount as it's a new year sort of deal. Also with the daily log in rewards, once you hit 7+ days one of the rare rewards is upto 75% discount on platinum

New PC update , no idea when the PS4 will get it

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1x5bwq/pc_update_12_zephyr_rises/

Also some of the endgame ideas are pretty good, clan controlled areas etc
  • Dirtbox 6 Feb 2014 18:13:23 76,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LoadOut is loads better.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• PenguinJim 6 Feb 2014 18:35:30 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    There is a discount as it's a new year sort of deal. Also with the daily log in rewards, once you hit 7+ days one of the rare rewards is upto 75% discount on platinum.
    I got a 25% discount as a Daily reward today, which is what made me look at the prices. US$5 is the cheapest pack, and then discounted...

I don't really need the platinum, as I'm about to start trading my rare mods for it anyway, but it would be nice to throw them a few dollars for a fun week and then piss away the currency on a nice hat for my 'frame. :p
  • fletch7100 6 Feb 2014 19:42:29 6,174 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim
    Haven't received a daily discount reward yet and have logged into the game since the ps4 was released. The Bastards :)

The alternate hats, well was tempted to buy until I realised you can get their blueprints via the Alert missions. So I can wait for what i want. Main use for the platinum was to buy extra slots to store my warframes or I was building a weapon and wanted it now :)

Just managed to get the Stalkers scythe blueprint. Will beat him one day.
  • PenguinJim 7 Feb 2014 02:11:35 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, I'll probably spend it on slots really. I'm too cheap to waste platinum! Although knowing me, I'll hoard it endlessly and never actually spend it until I've lost all interest in the game and it sits on my idle account for all eternity.

Today's reward: Glaive blueprint! Nice nice. Started crafting straight away. :)
  • fletch7100 7 Feb 2014 02:57:20 6,174 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim

The glaive is always fun when you add the extra bounce mod, then see how walls you can bounce it off after you have thrown it.

The semi auto shotgun was good but my current favourite is the Cestra. It's a machine gun pistol(secondary weapon) modded with multishot, 85 round mag, increased fire rate and pistol ammo mutation.
  • PenguinJim 7 Feb 2014 08:47:56 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Cernos had finished crafting earlier and it was up to rank 30 within a couple of hours - amazing! I hadn't thought the bows were that good, and was just giving it a go for something different, but it might be my new favourite main weapon. :o Melts through Corpus and Infested brilliantly!

I'll try the Cestra. I hated the Bronco, but loved the Lex and love the Aklex even more - although the lack of a polarity slot on the Aklex means I might have to use my first Forma on it.
  • telboy007 10 Feb 2014 12:14:14 375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good run through on the Tower II Exterminate the other night Jim - don't forget to build a clan key so you can grab some of the research blueprints.

Unfortunately most of the clan tech needs a forma to craft.

• fletch7100 10 Feb 2014 12:39:37 6,174 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim

The Cestra is fun to use. Make sure you have pistol Ammo mutation, it burns through ammo in seconds. Extra magazine plus fire rate to help reduce spin up time( takes a seconds or 2 before going full auto crazy, I just use it in a burst style ). Using a lethal torrent mod (multi shot plus fire rate)

Just starting to build the Stalkers Scythe like weapon, just levelling up some knuckle dusters for the Ps4 trophy. Think I will add the bio lab in the PS4 EG clan dojo, want that synapse weapon

Also build Nyx warframe, loving her abilities so far. Her Aura mod slot is same polarity as energy siphon mod. So a max ES mod on an Unranked Nyx gives you 14 points straight away

Edited by fletch7100 at 12:50:40 10-02-2014
  • PenguinJim 10 Feb 2014 15:29:25 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not two weeks in yet, do you think I'm MADE of Aura mods? :p

I'm loving the Rhino 'frame. I'm sure you've all got them so I don't need to elaborate. I've got an Ember waiting in the wings, but I double-powered the Rhino with that Orokin thingy so it'll likely be my main... forever.

Needing to craft a clan key to access the dojo was a bit strange. I was puzzling over how to "get" to the "clan" for a while, and then when I looked at my blueprints later I noticed that clan key blueprint in there. telboy, I've thrown in some oxium and crafted a detonite thingything to advance the Zephyr research. I can't see myself loving the Ember or being able to acquire a Nekros any time soon, so I might farm Oxium and build myself a Zephyr. Edit: actually, I think I have all the Nyx pieces. Might try that instead.

Managed to sell a rank 8 Serration for 50P. I know it can go for 60, but I had crafted weapons sat waiting to be claimed. Now I've got weapons slots and 'frame slots to spare. \o/

Edited by PenguinJim at 15:30:43 10-02-2014
  • SomaticSense 10 Feb 2014 15:42:40 7,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's quite fun, but outside the running, the gunning, and the melee, I'm finding it damn near impenetrable. Outside of the combat tutorial, there is a miniscule attempt to explain all the crap the menus throw at you. Reminds me a lot of of Dust 514 in that respect.
  • telboy007 10 Feb 2014 17:15:45 375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes took me a while to get into the dojo that first time, I can also see the oxium grind being a pain in the backside.

The Rhino is a great frame, being able to run around without getting hurt is always fun. :)

I had no idea you could get that much plat for a serration.

• telboy007 10 Feb 2014 17:16:23 375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    It's quite fun, but outside the running, the gunning, and the melee, I'm finding it damn near impenetrable. Outside of the combat tutorial, there is a miniscule attempt to explain all the crap the menus throw at you. Reminds me a lot of of Dust 514 in that respect.
    There is a lot of stumbling across things in this game, I agree.

• PenguinJim 11 Feb 2014 00:16:43 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't mind the lack of handholding. Exploring the game's mechanisms and working out for myself what does what and why is quite refreshing. I've Googled things like "best secondary weapon" a few times, but generally the answers suggest that the weapons are fairly balanced and you can't really go wrong, so just choose the ones that fit your playstyle.

telboy007 wrote:
    Between 200 and 300 for Rank 10! But those last two ranks are insane in their mod and credit requirements - I have an unconfirmed suspicion that it would be easier to get four Serrations to rank 8 than one to rank 10.

So that's one of my ingame 'projects' :p (Hornet Strike next, actually!).
  • fletch7100 11 Feb 2014 08:47:40 6,174 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PenguinJim

Hornet strike is pretty good got mine to rank 5 I believe. You will need the lethal torrent( increased fire rate and multi shot) and ice storm( extra magazine capacity and cold damage) mods. I Really need the faction damage mods for my secondary. Only got the infested damage mod for my pistols.

Know they were talking about cross platform account migration once PS4 is patched to same version as PC. Wonder if there will ever be cross platform play, could help with swapping mods. Keeping some spare rare mods for EG PS4 players, same as blueprints I don't need.
  • Mr-Brett 11 Feb 2014 09:15:44 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I don't mind the lack of handholding.
    I think handholding is when a game goes beyond just explaining the core concepts.

Warframe tells you some of the controls and well that's about it. The game could do a much better job of telling you what things are and what to do with them, if it wasn't for other people I was playing with I'd have given up because I had no idea what the hell was going on :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• SomaticSense 12 Feb 2014 14:12:35 7,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I don't mind the lack of handholding. Exploring the game's mechanisms and working out for myself what does what and why is quite refreshing. I've Googled things like "best secondary weapon" a few times, but generally the answers suggest that the weapons are fairly balanced and you can't really go wrong, so just choose the ones that fit your playstyle.

telboy007 wrote:
    Between 200 and 300 for Rank 10! But those last two ranks are insane in their mod and credit requirements - I have an unconfirmed suspicion that it would be easier to get four Serrations to rank 8 than one to rank 10.

So that's one of my ingame 'projects' :p (Hornet Strike next, actually!).
    Lack of handholding within gameplay can work well when done intelligently and is designed intentionally. Demon's/Dark Souls are great examples.

But when a game's base menus are so obtuse, when it neglects to explain how to get important minerals without spending real cash, when something as simple as a level select looks like a complicated spider's web looks unbelievably complicated at first glance, when entire menu options are named non-intuitively with no description as to what they do, then the game has failed in it's attempt to avoid handholding player, and instead created a stubbornly obtuse entryway to a dull and generic game.

With all this, plus generic gameplay and bizarre design decisions (what's the point of melee, when it's weaker than an equally levelled gun?), then why should anyone be expected to part with their cash for the microtransactions? Or even spend serious time grinding without spending money?

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:21:49 12-02-2014
  • telboy007 12 Feb 2014 14:40:28 375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You are right with what you say, yet I still love this game.

• PenguinJim 19 Feb 2014 07:10:18 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like the Ember after all - she's a keeper. Just started crafting my next Warframe. I had all the parts for Nyx, Nova, and some bits and pieces of others, but I wanted something a bit different, so I went a bit nuts and solo'd to get all of the Nekros pieces. Nekros incoming! (Loki next, I guess)

SomaticSense wrote:
    But when a game's base menus are so obtuse, when it neglects to explain how to get important minerals without spending real cash...
    That list of "drops" when you hover your cursor over a system? That's what drops there.

SomaticSense wrote:
    ...when something as simple as a level select looks like a complicated spider's web looks unbelievably complicated at first glance
    Well as it dumped me into Mercury to start, I assumed I'd work my way out via Venus, Earth, Mars etc. I studied extra-hard at school and so I know the order of the planets, though. (Plus the first few planets are completely linear - I can't imagine someone actually getting confused!)

SomaticSense wrote:
    With all this, plus generic gameplay and bizarre design decisions (what's the point of melee, when it's weaker than an equally levelled gun?)
    Weapons don't become more powerful when they "level up". Levelling weapons is purely to let them equip more mods. So when you have better mods for melee, it's great. When you don't, it's not. (Some melee weapons are great fun, like that giant sword, or have brilliant alternative charge attacks, like the dual heat swords. Some melee weapons are awful oh god I spent all of those credits on crafting this fucking glaive what did i dooooo)

SomaticSense wrote:
    ...why should anyone be expected to part with their cash for the microtransactions? Or even spend serious time grinding without spending money?
    I can absolutely vouch that the microtransactions are not necessary. That mod I mentioned selling after playing the game for three days brought in as much platinum as a US$6 spend, which I used to buy a couple of weapon slots and a warframe slot. I could simply sell weapons and warframes I've "finished with" instead, but I chose to sell the mod.

So why should you play it? You should play it if it clicks with you and you find it fun! If it doesn't, you shouldn't. Like any game. :o

Possibly completely on-topic: do you have a broader dislike of micro-transactions? ^^

Edited by PenguinJim at 07:16:51 19-02-2014
  • PenguinJim 20 Feb 2014 05:36:39 5,455 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Logged in today to find I've been given two Legendary Fusion Cores. Sold one for 250 plat already, and will sell the other as soon as I've raised the 100K+ credits to pay the tax. :D

250 plat?! I have nothing on which to spend it. Any regular EGers want some platinum?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous