Bioshock Infinite +++ SPOILERS +++ Thread Page 13

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Dirtbox 3 Apr 2013 18:00:08 77,484 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Out of idle interest, what is the spoiler that the retards are posting?

I don't think I could summarize the ending into a cogent sentence if I tried.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• richardiox 3 Apr 2013 18:01:31 5,551 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Booker is cornstarch, Anna is Elizabeth
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Apr 2013 18:02:41 25,431 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some tit with the username "bookeriscomstock" created a thread called "Booker=Comstock Elizabeth=Booker's Daughter"
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2013 18:04:10 77,484 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well isn't that pathetic.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Apr 2013 21:45:39 37,426 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I banned that dude. I eventually did play Heavy Rain and remembered the spoiler once I heard his name.

Some people I guess just have to make up for inadequacies in their lives.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• SuperBas 3 Apr 2013 22:01:00 1,450 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MrTomFTW
    Just wondering, do you ban them from the entire EG network to piss them off, or just the forum?

Edited by SuperBas at 22:01:17 03-04-2013
  • Dirtbox 3 Apr 2013 22:08:39 77,484 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're somewhat overestimating how much power the mods have, they can't even ban him from EG, aside from his username.

• SuperBas 3 Apr 2013 22:12:16 1,450 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aw. A shame, people like that should have their toys taken away from them if they can't behave.
  • ecureuil 3 Apr 2013 22:25:23 76,547 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Some tit with the username "bookeriscomstock" created a thread called "Booker=Comstock Elizabeth=Booker's Daughter"
    Yep, pretty much the same spoiler I read before it even came out. It meant I'd figured out the plot twist about halfway through the game. It's pretty rare that a game comes out where I actually care about the story, and next time it happens I'm going to make sure to avoid this place well in advance. It's not the first game it's happened to, either. I remember someone doing the same thing with Red Dead Redemption. Over on Reddit in the Bioshock subreddit, if you mention you haven't finished the game yet you can guarantee you'll get a PM spoiling it for you. They actually had to tell people to hide the fact that they hadn't finished the game because it's basically asking for some dickhead to message you with the spoilers.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Apr 2013 22:30:03 5,135 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I would love to actually find these people's genuine address and deliver a clean punch to their face.

... some clucking blunt in the BioShock Infinite thread spoils the very surprise at the end. I'd be fuming if I knew that before I finished the story!
  • ecureuil 3 Apr 2013 22:31:00 76,547 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I do that too. Didn't expect to see it in a thread title a week before release though.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 23:38:40
    It's a chicken/egg thing, really. Stories in films and games have been rapidly heading towards an idea of "there has to be a massive twist", so to avoid having things like that spoiled for you you basically have to ignore almost everything about them, which is slightly contradictory given how heavily these things are marketed nowadays. People are cunts for spoiling things, of course, but simultaneously they wouldn't be spoiled if they weren't so narrowly centred around some oblique twist.

Speaking in general here, not necessarily about Infinite.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 23:58:12
    To be honest, the best twists don't ultimately matter if they're spoiled. Psycho is not a lesser film just because everyone knows Norman Bates is also Mother. Fight Club is just as good as, if not a better, story for knowing Tyler and the narrator are the same person. Shadow of the Colossus has more pathos knowing you're ultimately the bad guy. All you miss out on knowing these in advance is this initial experience of ignorance and the sensation of clarity afterwards, which is a nice feeling but not really worth getting incensed about missing - that's not the point about them, and that's really what sets them apart from stuff like Sixth Sense or whatever, that they're not wholly centred around that individual twist, that the entire point, experience and meaning of them is larger than that.

Frankly, it's a trend that I'd be glad to see the back of. Knowing there's a twist is in itself a spoiler, and actually changes how you'd approach and engage with a work to begin with.

Again, not really talking about Infinite specifically here.
  • neilka 4 Apr 2013 01:10:20 15,683 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Norman Bates is his mum?!

BAN PLZ
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Apr 2013 01:22:17 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh my! I was just about to post this, because its brilliant:

And then explain, yes while I am "spoiling myself" by watching cutscenes and finding out about plot twists ahead of this game's release here, it ultimately does not matter. There is so much in that video of all that is good and right about video game storytelling. Something as mundane as verb tenses get plays for exposition, laughs and character building. The part where Booker helps Elizabeth choose between a bird badge and a cage badge would be an overwrought symbolism wank in another game. And its all written so gloriously! Okay, okay, so I haven't played it yet, so I really shouldn't talk, but seriously even taken out of context, that stuff is great. Which brings me to this;

I believe some people genuinely do have their experiences ruined by getting the twists spoiled (everyone's different in how they perceive things), but I think they may be in the minority. A far greater amount of people THINK that the reason they don't connect to stories the greater public finds brilliant could be because they knew too much, when there are many other factors at play that are more responsible for it.

For System Shock, man vs. technology is not exactly the height of originality or something that any person who has experienced a couple of stories in the same setting would not be able to intuit will happen. For System Shock 2, Shodan's appearance was basically a given. For Bioshock, given all the themes the storyline and setting suggested, it was not at all surprising that manipulation of the protagonist came to play in the end. Surprise happens, perhaps, but it is not the most important part of connecting with the story.

So like meme said, I think, at best, the first time you experience a story is a nice nostalgic moment of not knowing what's coming. I always find, however, the best times are afterward. As an example in a game that doesn't even have all that good a story, when I first played it, I just had fun playing the opening sequence. It was replaying it many years later and many times over the years, where I learned to enjoy the effective story-telling of the introduction on a deeper level and each time I play it now, I enjoy A Link to the Past more than the first.

So yeah, while I believe Ken may have pressured to include a twist in Infinite, I think he's a skilled enough craftsman that it ultimately doesn't matter. Granted, I haven't played the thing yet, but knowing the twist before I watched that video only made me enjoy it more.

BTW, does anyone think that the male "twin" looks like Leonardo DiCaprio? And that may have been just a slight wink at Inception? Just me? Okay, okay, you don't have to shout!

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 01:23:48 04-04-2013

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 06:18:13 04-04-2013
  • evilashchris 4 Apr 2013 02:44:23 6,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get fucked, you fucking fuck.

Twitter: @COToole

• King_Edward 4 Apr 2013 07:55:24 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jtn

I sure hope it wasn't meant to look like LdC. I was quite happy to play a game that wasn't loaded with clumsy references to every bit of pop culture over the last decade for once.
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Apr 2013 08:50:55 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After doing a little research, it seems it was modeled after someone else entirely. And even if it was a visual nod, the characters themselves seem more Tom Stoppard then Christopher Nolan, anyway.
  • northernlights 5 Apr 2013 11:03:34 648 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know what the DLC is going to be about ?
  • mikeck 5 Apr 2013 11:36:44 1,905 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's quite close to Irrational's chests at the moment, I know some of the team at Take Two and they are either very good liars, or genuinely don't know the scope is.

It is likely to be story driven though, and not arena/costume/Multiplayer shite ;)
  • Page

of 17 First / Last