Bioshock Infinite +++ SPOILERS +++ Thread Page 12

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Restart 3 Apr 2013 00:20:03 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread is going around in circles. Which is rather appropriate considering the theme of the game.

Do carry on!
  • dsmx 3 Apr 2013 01:00:46 7,600 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not that it's going in circles it's that the fundamental premise behind the story of the game means that it can't be a story.

A story has a linear set of events and this game isn't, it meddles with time and dimensions and that means causes don't lead to effects and effects don't have causes. Like the weapons maker being both dead and alive, if you can bend reality to your will he is both, he is in effect a quantum particle and your perception of him is what you chose to see.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• SuperBas 3 Apr 2013 06:33:20 1,452 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So guys, in what timeline does Booker become a hero of the Vox Populi? No theory here is complete without including this part.

Edited by SuperBas at 06:34:44 03-04-2013
  • Ged42 3 Apr 2013 08:06:01 7,727 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think that's one of the 120 odd failed attempts by the Luteces to sort everything out.
  • dsmx 3 Apr 2013 09:25:28 7,600 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could be none of the realities, elizabeth seemed to create tears into what she wanted to see, so chances are that in that reality she wanted to see what the world would of been like if booker was leader of the vox populi.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• PearOfAnguish 3 Apr 2013 09:34:30 7,274 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    I don't think there is a link. The bathysphere they used aren't locked to only work for Ryan. If they were, no one would of got into the city, as its the spheres they used to get in and out of Rapture. In the book other people besides ryan use that one too.
    The bathyspheres are locked down when shit starts to go bad in Rapture. This is explained in BS1. It's a big clue to Jack's identity because he, as Ryan's son, is able to to operate them. Since Booker is too that means Ryan is either an alternate Booker or related to him in some way.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 10:17:47
    @PearOfAnguish ah yes, your right. Now I remember. Also, if you look at the door leading into Rapture, you can see the tunnel behind it has already collapsed. So that should show they were sent there after the events of Bioshock 1. Maybe..the bathypheres have been reset so there not trapped? Ryan's dead now don't forget and Jack controls the city - I'm guessing the good ending is the real one, in which Jack releases the little sisters and leaves Rapture.

Edited by Rec at 10:18:21 03-04-2013
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Apr 2013 10:44:19 7,274 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently there is a sign saying that the Bathyspheres are locked down for travel, so either you visit during the events of BS1 or they're still locked afterwards. It would appear that Irrational deliberately hinted at the link between Booker and Ryan.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 11:01:42
    @PearOfAnguish

Hmm...that must be it then. If they do another Bioshock, I hope they don't force a connection though. It could spoil it.

I wonder when Booker went there though.

If the Spheres are still locked down and the doorway has collapsed, I did think it must be after Bioshock 1, but before Bioshock 2. As you can see a little sister by a big daddy in the window. Lamb kidnapped little girls and brought them back to Rapture. The only other explaination I could find is, this was during Bioshock 1 and you (as jack) were in another part of Rapture.

EDIT: I'm started to think it was during Bioshock 1.

Edited by Rec at 11:06:04 03-04-2013
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Apr 2013 11:04:31 7,274 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Be surprised if Irrational forced any link. These things are a nice subtle nod to fans, they haven't hammered the point home. Once they're done with Columbia we'll probably move onto a new setting, I'm rooting for a WW2 moonbase.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 11:10:07
    That would be interesting.

In an attempt to get away from the world war, your character joins them on the promise of a new free world - not knowing where mind. You start off thinking everything is okay, but things quickly go south.

No Aliens though. That's been done to death...okay, maybe they find the remains of what us to be life on the moon (which led to advances in technology and the new form of vigours/plasmids), but no actually aliens.

Edited by Rec at 11:15:09 03-04-2013
  • Humperfunk 3 Apr 2013 11:14:26 2,231 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There's a little sister crying in the background behind where the songbird dies, so would assume its set during Bioshock rather tha after. The fact Booker can operate a bathysphere is a huge point too - no way Levine would have dropped a bollock and forgot that point.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 3 April 2013 11:16:42
    @Humperfunk yeah, I thinks it during Bioshock 1 for that very reason too.
  • PearOfAnguish 3 Apr 2013 11:19:34 7,274 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That little sister in the background was a nice touch, she's sobbing over a downed Big Daddy as Songbird bites it.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 11:57:27
    @Wheelbarrowman only just realised. With Comstock now erased, Lutece never died.
  • Dr.Haggard 3 Apr 2013 12:11:27 4,200 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    With regards to what's next, I'm rooting for Citadel Station :)

There's no need to retread that ground obviously, but I just love the fact that it so easily ties into this whole universe now as one of the potential cities along with Rapture and Columbia. It even has the Ryan/Comstock character in Edward Diego, kind of.

I'd love the next Bioshock to come full circle and be set in space though, the thought of that makes me a little weak at the knees.
  • ubergine 3 Apr 2013 12:39:42 2,382 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have wanted a modern remake of System Shock for I think ten years. System Shock 2 could do with a do-over as well. I think EA should plan 3 games, remakes of 1 and 2 and a new third game where Shodan's shuttle crash lands at a city-sized moon-base.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• mikeck 3 Apr 2013 12:44:51 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wheelbarrowman wrote:
    But rapture could of been any time as you were not travelling in a normal linear way through time. I assumed the songbird fell through a tear.

What Elizabeth should have done to make all this better was go back and kill the Lutece's at birth. There would still have been Comstock and Booker but no time/space travel research and so no deal, Comstock would be able to have a kid normally, Booker wouldn't give his up. The universe is as it should be :)
    I was onboard with that, but then realised there would surely be no Elizabeth to even do this...right? If Booker didn't give up Anna, then there would be no Elizabeth.

Or am I being slow here? Damn, my brain hurts.
  • ubergine 3 Apr 2013 12:48:36 2,382 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, the choice in the game that mattered wasn't the baptism but Booker giving Anna away, which he presumably won't do now that time has wobbled around to put him back before that event - and presumably Comstock won't turn up to ask for her anyway.

If Booker dies at the Baptism he never becomes Comstock and never gives Anna away so Elizabeth never exists to drown him at the baptism so he is returned to before he gave Anna away which is where the paradox started.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• MrDigital 3 Apr 2013 12:57:18 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    Also, the choice in the game that mattered wasn't the baptism but Booker giving Anna away, which he presumably won't do now that time has wobbled around to put him back before that event - and presumably Comstock won't turn up to ask for her anyway.

If Booker dies at the Baptism he never becomes Comstock and never gives Anna away so Elizabeth never exists to drown him at the baptism so he is returned to before he gave Anna away which is where the paradox started.
    You're looking too much into it. In a real-world sense we don't even know how time travel would work, try not to get caught up in how it works in a video game :p

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• SuperBas 3 Apr 2013 13:02:27 1,452 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Comstock found Booker and Anna, not the other way around. If Booker refused Comstock, Comstock would have taken Anna by force anyway.

If Booker dies at the baptism he never turns into Comstock and never takes Anna.

Edited by SuperBas at 13:03:03 03-04-2013
  • King_Edward 3 Apr 2013 13:05:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    ubergine wrote:

You're looking too much into it. In a real-world sense we don't even know how time travel would work, try not to get caught up in how it works in a video game :p
    This is the beauty and the curse of ambiguity.
  • mikeck 3 Apr 2013 13:11:26 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Comstock found Booker and Anna, not the other way around. If Booker refused Comstock, Comstock would have taken Anna by force anyway.

If Booker dies at the baptism he never turns into Comstock and never takes Anna.
    And without Comstock taking Anna there is no Elizabeth, right?

My head still hurts ;)
  • MrDigital 3 Apr 2013 13:12:49 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Regarding this time travel malarkey

Edited by Geesh at 13:13:04 03-04-2013

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Page

of 17 First / Last