Bioshock Infinite +++ SPOILERS +++ Thread Page 2

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 March 2013 19:25:23
    Interesting. Just thought, is it ever explained why you and comstock are in the same dimension at the start? Or are you not? Remember nearly every time comstock talks to you his voice distorts are turns almost demon like?
  • BigDaddy82 27 Mar 2013 19:43:40 58 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the Lutece's take your into Comstock's dimension through a tear, it's shown at the end when they are taking him to the boat and he has a foggy memory of what's going on. It's all part of their experiment to see if they can use Booker to stop the events they put in motion that lead to the destruction of New York.

Just got to the bit where you meet Elizabeth for the first time, she tries to hit you with a book, and the book is 'The Principles of Quantum Mechanics', i see that as a bit of a cheeky reference to the player literally being hit over the head with the one thing that explains the ending :)
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 19:43:41
    Lutece statue is of the male version then tears to the female.
  • hiddenranbir 27 Mar 2013 20:14:29 5,744 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would have liked more explanation as to how Comstock becomes Comstock after the baptism. Just seems a little, "got baptised became religious nut" in a rather prompt fashion.
  • Mudo 27 Mar 2013 20:21:51 220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine he gets his first vision of an alternative world during the baptism, which he takes for religious prophesy. Much like DeWitt gets that vision of a burning New York after his baptism when first entering Columbia

The rest would derive from his further visions and genuine belief he's a chosen one/prophet

Edited by Mudo at 20:22:58 27-03-2013
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 20:30:38
    It's actually about lutece..
  • Deleted user 27 March 2013 22:27:21
    neilka wrote:
    There's some things that don't make sense even the second time - when you're trying to get the gondola to the First Lady, there's a woman who walks up and calls Elizabeth "Annabel" which is never mentioned anywhere else in the game. What all that about?
    Just got to this bit again. Her name is Esther and the is an audio log of her talking about awaiting their arrival as ordered by the prophet and if they don't deal with the false shepherd they will be given to songbird.

Still doesn't explain the thinking it was Annabel though.
  • ecureuil 28 Mar 2013 00:31:09 76,020 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This pretty well sums it up.

Edited by ecureuil at 00:31:33 28-03-2013
  • hypoBla5t 28 Mar 2013 07:25:33 1,265 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ecureuil

Top link, thanks m8.
  • kinky_mong 28 Mar 2013 10:18:15 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished it, good story but that final twist was a bit too far fetched for my liking.

binster wrote:
    Quick shout out for the modern music that Fink stole by hearing through a tear and copying. I like how they all fit the story -

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - "Some boys take a beautiful girl / And hide her away from the rest of the world" Elizabeth in the tower

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Comstock and Fitzroy and so forth

God Only Knows - Reflects the despair that Booker feels without Anna
    Very good points, so what is the relevance of Fortunate Son, especially the woman singing it while praying when you first enter the universe where the Vox are taking control of Columbia?

Edited by kinky_mong at 10:21:17 28-03-2013

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• binster 28 Mar 2013 12:57:41 495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @kinky_mong Not sure on that one, not familiar with the original. Here's a great collection of all the future music in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsJs8eSUgOjFIgwvMK0djgL55RHhNlRzu
  • neilka 28 Mar 2013 13:04:20 14,942 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    There's some things that don't make sense even the second time - when you're trying to get the gondola to the First Lady, there's a woman who walks up and calls Elizabeth "Annabel" which is never mentioned anywhere else in the game. What all that about?
    Just got to this bit again. Her name is Esther and the is an audio log of her talking about awaiting their arrival as ordered by the prophet and if they don't deal with the false shepherd they will be given to songbird.

Still doesn't explain the thinking it was Annabel though.
    I've finished playing again and the name Annabel is never said anywhere else, only Anna. The only explanation I can think of is that Esther made up the name Annabel at random to force Elizabeth to say her name, and the Annabel/Anna similarity is a coincidence.

Also the second time through I noticed that when Songbird dies in Rapture, right behind him is a Little Sister crying over a dead Big Daddy!
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 13:20:08
    Yeah good idea, she might of being confirming.

What is the classical song that is played two or three times? One time it is played in house of heroes in the bit that starts to explain comstocks life story.
  • kinky_mong 28 Mar 2013 13:41:40 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    binster wrote:
    @kinky_mong Not sure on that one, not familiar with the original. Here's a great collection of all the future music in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsJs8eSUgOjFIgwvMK0djgL55RHhNlRzu
    The song is about the rich and privileged avoiding any involvement in the Vietnam War, so there's a tenuous link to the poor Vox uprising, but I'm not sure how that directly links into the main themes of the game like the other songs.

• David_Richardson 28 Mar 2013 14:51:41 626 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So basically, if you choose religion the world will go to shit.

hypoBla5t wrote:
    Having finished the game, my thoughts are (in no particular order):

OMG!!

WTF?!!

COOL!!
    Pretty much the same as me.

Edited by David_Richardson at 14:51:50 28-03-2013
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 14:55:06
    David_Richardson wrote:

hypoBla5t wrote:

OMG!!

WTF?!!

COOL!!
    There is no religion, it is science. He just cloaks in religion.
  • sanctusmortis 28 Mar 2013 16:51:18 9,590 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished. That is one hell of an ending. Crazy, crazy stuff. I mean: Rapture? The doors? How she lost her finger? Why he is Comstock? It's all utterly crazy. And what a final end...

Replaying, and soon. Collectable hunting first - want all the voxophones and infusions - and then a 1999.
  • David_Richardson 28 Mar 2013 16:56:49 626 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    David_Richardson wrote:

hypoBla5t wrote:

OMG!!

WTF?!!

COOL!!
    There is no religion, it is science. He just cloaks in religion.
    Originally there was, as far as I can tell. He wanted to use religion to wash away his guilt.
  • sanctusmortis 28 Mar 2013 17:35:28 9,590 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The religion is pretty simple to explain:

Comstock is DeWitt "born again" - rebaptised to cleanse his soul of his sins. He begins to have visions - seen through the rifts that are being opened by Lutece's experiments - and believes he is the new Prophet, the Moses of his time. He casts himself as the righteous figure at the centre, but through the visions sees that it is Elizabeth/Anna who is the true chosen one. He then casts her as the Jesus of the tale, and his wife as Mary. His "miracle" is explained away as a godly miracle, and as such people see him as not just a prophet, but God Himself. He has his wife and Lutece killed because he knows that they're the only ones who can reveal what he truly is: just a man seeing things through the rift that he wants to make real in his world.

It's only his hubristic belief that the visions are from God and he is the new Prophet of God that causes him to be worshipped. Look at what he calls DeWitt - the "false prophet". He knows he's a false prophet - because in his universe, he's a false him. He knows this version of him is one who chose to turn from God, and fell into vice. He is, in every way, the false shepherd, everything he is not; godless, immoral, but virile.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 23:08:36
    Nearly finished again.
    Lucete is definitely the same person from two different realities. Also noticed the female version was fine with being stuck but the male wanted to save the girl and rid the timeline of comstock.
    At the asylum bit where you meet the old Elizabeth who was twisted from time and the belief broker abandoned her, crazy to think sixty years had past...sad almost. In both playthroughs at this point I felt the most emotional towards the characters.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 23:09:35
    Oh and the combat is more fun when you max out vigor rather than spreading your abilities like I did on first run.
  • Sharzam 28 Mar 2013 23:29:30 2,118 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally finished, 12 hours on hard from start to finish. Good god that final fight on the Zeppelin is irritating oh well now to 1999.

So let me just get this straight;

You sell your daughter to pay for debts, then for the next 20 years you lock yourself away in depression then you meet the lucea twins and after setting up Columbia they create the tear technology. As your a bit nuts by this point the twins use the tears to travel back in to an alternate reality to hire you to then go save your daughter and he frames it as paying for debts by saving her. And it all stems back to being baptized because in the reality where you are baptized you become a religious zealot, but in the version where not baptized you go on to be hired by the twins. Thats the basics right ?

So the other points are, Comstock kills his wife and the lucea twins as they are the only ones who actually know who Elisabeth is? But as there are an infinite versions lucea twins are constantly jumping around getting involved and so set the whole thing in motion. The whole Vox revolution is just another plot point to give motivation but isnt actually important to the story itself.

edit: ah just read other peoples thoughts on the twins, IGN Wiki thinks that unverse A robert exisists but in universe B rosalind exsists. That makes more sense.

Edited by Sharzam at 23:42:13 28-03-2013

Edited by Sharzam at 23:46:39 28-03-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• MatMan562 29 Mar 2013 00:14:53 1,906 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    You sell your daughter to pay for debts, then for the next 20 years you lock yourself away in depression then you meet the lucea twins and after setting up Columbia they create the tear technology. As your a bit nuts by this point the twins use the tears to travel back in to an alternate reality to hire you to then go save your daughter and he frames it as paying for debts by saving her. And it all stems back to being baptized because in the reality where you are baptized you become a religious zealot, but in the version where not baptized you go on to be hired by the twins. Thats the basics right ?
    I think what you've got mixed up there is that the Booker that becomes Comstock never had the child, he hired the female Lutece to get him an heir of his own blood after he couldn't have a kid due to exposure to whatever it was Lutece was experimenting with. Lutece used a tear to get to the universe where Booker didn't get baptised and had a kid which is where she met her alternate self in the male Lutece.

I think... love it when a story makes you do that.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Deleted user 29 March 2013 00:36:27
    @Sharzam Yeah, the baptism is the point of quantum dissonance which births the infinite universes of DeWitt and Costock (and also, possibly, Ryan).

The only thing that bugs me is the blacksmith universe hopping which makes absolutely NO sense in the way it ends up.

EDIT:: Sister Lucere only makes contact with Brother Lucere when investigating quantum states and universe tears. It from there that the plan develops to steal the child of the virile DeWitt.

Edited by HurbleBurble at 00:39:20 29-03-2013
  • ecureuil 29 Mar 2013 00:50:47 76,020 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://i.imgur.com/xmUAykJ.jpg
  • kinky_mong 29 Mar 2013 01:24:05 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just seen the TV ad for this, shows Elizabeth with a noose around her neck surrounded by a pastor and other religious types before action kicks off. That LITERALLY has no relation to anything in the game!

• Deleted user 29 March 2013 01:27:57
    It's obviously a very targeted advert to appeal to a certain mindset and get sales.

Despite that, it's a fucking cracking advert.
  • ecureuil 29 Mar 2013 01:30:38 76,020 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they just don't want to give any of the story away.
  • ubergine 29 Mar 2013 02:15:10 1,227 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    the entire 2011 E3 gameplay footage never happens in the game. Songbird is hardly used or developed at all, was quite disappointed in that, it would have made his death slightly poignant. There was basically no sense he was pursuing you through Columbia as they seemed to originally intend two years ago.

As for the "twins" - there is an audio log in which she talks about communicating with an alternate reality version of herself through Morse code, and hopes to open a doorway ultimately. In the other world she is a dude.

Any part of the plot which makes no sense you can write off as time/space warping and crumbling awkwardly, or as Doctor Who discards it, "Timey Whimey stuff".

Maybe in another universe Booker never sells Annabel and so the woman recognizes her as such.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Page

of 17 First / Last