Television Centre Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • mal 27 Mar 2013 01:05:57 22,578 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @danathjo http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rgr1l/Goodbye_Television_Centre/

Rather entertaining programme, as I'm sure Local will agree.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• danathjo 27 Mar 2013 01:09:55 7,390 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one, need to go to bed as taking my daughter to nursery in morning but have the week off, will definitely watch it later today!
    Cheers again
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Mar 2013 01:44:32 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal Indeed. I thought Danny Baker was spot on.
  • Alastair 27 Mar 2013 09:23:32 15,776 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Prior to recent stuff,
    Other Older Shows Commissioned By BBC Three
    10:96
    15 Storeys High
    /snipped a lot of stuff
    Way To Go
    We Are Klang
    White Van Man
    World Series Of Dating
    Wrong Door, The
    Not a very high hit-rate, but some nuggets of good comedy there, especially Monkey Dust.
    Also let's not forget World's Craziest Fools - which is fucking ace!!
    "Goodnight sucka!"
  • localnotail 27 Mar 2013 16:01:47 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    @danathjo http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rgr1l/Goodbye_Television_Centre/

Yes, it was great, and Danny Baker did well to stand up and say WTF?? so many times. I did know that thing about the Old Grey Whistle Test before though, I knew someone who was an assistant there in the 70s, she used to reminisce a lot about the spirit (and facilities) of the place. Nice to witness Attenborough's glee about it though :D

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• danathjo 7 Apr 2013 11:20:47 7,390 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    mal wrote:

Yes, it was great, and Danny Baker did well to stand up and say WTF?? so many times. I did know that thing about the Old Grey Whistle Test before though, I knew someone who was an assistant there in the 70s, she used to reminisce a lot about the spirit (and facilities) of the place. Nice to witness Attenborough's glee about it though :D
    Finally got to watch this properly this morning, while I loved watching it, it did keep bringing up the point of WHY?? Such a shame really.

As a point David Mitchell (and a few others) fragmenting the talent around the country in different places and studios a bit of the magic and spontaneity will certainly dissapear and make the corporation a poorer place.

Felt weirdly emotional watching it which is kind of weird as although I didn't actually grow up in this country thus missing out on a lot of the shows the first time round I did grow up with an awful lot of the classic shows in Australia.

*sniff*
  • mal 7 Apr 2013 12:54:38 22,578 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno. I think the change in culture had already happened, and whatever magic and spontaneity there was is already long gone. I don't believe any drama programme had been filmed there for years, for example.

Economically, having studios so close to central London no longer makes sense. They were put there because the land was cheap, and while White City/Wood Lane is hardly central London still, it's surely no longer cheap. Bit of a PR own goal cutting the link, but I'm sure the money saved will offset the money lost to disappointed viewers.

• RobTheBuilder 7 Apr 2013 13:08:07 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal given that most of the studios were already fully HD (one was the first 3D studio in the country) and the cost of broadcasting house was over 1bn, and they are not even the owners of Mediacity (they lease it from a company of which Michael Grade is a director... Sigh)...

I think the cost and dated mess issue was purposefully exaggerated to justify a pointless sell off
  • mal 7 Apr 2013 13:27:11 22,578 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Surely whether a studio is HD or 3D is down to the cameras, and I'd assume they're not selling those off (dunno)?

As for the fact they don't own the buildings in Mediacity they occupy (they don't occupy all of Mediacity afaik) is a shame, but then I've not worked in a building owned by the company I work for for almost 15 years now - it's just a fact of life.

I didn't know of the connection to Michael Grade, but I'd rather the money was going to Lew Grade's son than to a bunch of bankers.

As I understand it, the BBC are planning to continue to own TV centre and lease out the studios and some of the office space, and I think they still own their HQ of Broadcasting House, which is something of an anachronism these days.

As an aside, perhaps HD TV has been around longer than we thought? ;)

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next