Vikings

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Trane 25 Mar 2013 11:43:08 4,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vikings

Has anyone been following this? It's a new drama from the History Channel. I've only caught the first episode so far, seems promising though.
  • glaeken 25 Mar 2013 11:45:20 11,177 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't see how you can go too far wrong when you have a character called Ragnar Lothbrok

Is it being shown in the UK yet?

Edited by glaeken at 11:46:11 25-03-2013
  • Trane 25 Mar 2013 11:52:08 4,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure to be honest. Apparently a lot of the filming, and part of the funding was Ireland based, maybe it'll be picked up by a UK broadcatser at some point.
  • Trane 27 May 2013 22:58:51 4,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, this is actually pretty damn good. I've watched the first 7 episodes so far, just two left of the first season.
  • Poorandugly 27 May 2013 23:15:15 553 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was good up until the 7th episode, 8 and 9 has been a real dip in quality unfortunately.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 27 May 2013 23:15:47 294 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's exclusively for Lovefilm in the UK. It popped up on instant a few days ago.

I've watched this season (9 episodes) over the weekend and found it pretty good so far. It's not really got it's hooks in me like Game of Thrones and I've not found it as compelling but it's been interesting enough for me to watch them all. I'm hoping things will get more interesting in season 2. It looks like there's going be some changes based on how it ended
  • Trane 30 May 2013 08:53:58 4,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well it did build nicely up until episode 7, and then seemed to quieten down somewhat. Still really enjoyed it, the lore seemed to be a central focus of the producers. Certainly more 'Rome' than 'Spartacus' which is fine by me.

Edited by Trane at 08:54:10 30-05-2013
  • Leolian 30 May 2013 15:21:31 1,085 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished first season of this. I only wish it was 18 rated as some of the violence is a bit tame and doesn't really fit the resst of the show. I guess I've been spoilt by spartacus and Game of Thrones. Other that that, it was enjoyable.
  • sirtacos 30 May 2013 15:29:42 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rome was excellent. A Viking version of that show would be stupendous. This doesn't look it at all, though.

HBO should get on that.

Edited by sirtacos at 15:32:02 30-05-2013
  • Trane 30 May 2013 15:42:00 4,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The excellence of Rome was down to politicking, posturing, plotting, backstabbing as much as anything else. Viking culture just doesn't lend itself to that so well I would say. They're basically just fishermen and hunters who go raiding.

I still really enjoyed this, and it was only the first season.
  • sirtacos 30 May 2013 15:44:04 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're right. And in any case, Game of Thrones has the intrigue down pat.
    I guess ideally it should be more of a Viking Deadwood.

I'll give it a watch. Just as long as the writing is a notch above Spartacus...

Edited by sirtacos at 15:49:30 30-05-2013
  • disusedgenius 30 May 2013 15:47:32 5,333 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends what you mean by Viking culture, really. Their Kings were just as bickery as anyone elses - it's just that our view on their culture is more centred around the raids and invaders.
  • TheSaint 30 May 2013 15:57:55 14,414 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How can you have Vikings without swearing, gore and tits?
  • Trane 30 May 2013 15:59:11 4,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Depends what you mean by Viking culture, really. Their Kings were just as bickery as anyone elses - it's just that our view on their culture is more centred around the raids and invaders.
    True, and this show has had its share of rivalry and plotting amongst the 'leaders' tbf, just not to the same level as Rome.
  • Architect_z 4 Jun 2013 13:17:19 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I watched the first 2/3 episodes, unfortunatley I wasnt immediatley gripped. I've not given up on it, but some new series' have come on that need watching before i get back to this one, me thinks.
    ^_^
  • Mola_Ram 29 May 2014 14:58:53 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've just finished Season 2.

It's very, very much worth watching. Although they really fucked up Floki in Season 2 for some reason. :/
  • Mr_Brown 29 May 2014 15:09:48 994 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Trane

I don't think that's a fair assessment. But it certainly is a popular opinion. Viking trade was just as vast has the Romans, with evidence of trade as far as Arabia and the new world.

They didn't what you would call as empire as such but did conquer and hold England for a time too. I think I read also that that at least 70% of Vikings were literate and able at least read and write. Which was especially impressive if you compare them to others such as the Saxons who relied on monks.

So I would say the Vikings are very interesting culture which had just as big an impact on England than even the Saxons.

That said this show doesn't seem fully concerned with historical accuracy and tries to back up the warmongering stereo type widely believed. I watched both seasons and its really good. Not perfect, there are some poor writing in places but the acting is pretty solid. It just needs to explore more interesting plots there's alot there to cover and still do not think they have scratched the surface yet.

Also I would say the long time periods between each episode of season 2 can be a bit jarring. Especially as they make no attempt to explain how much time as passed. It doesn't distract from it, but can make things confusing especially when certain characters change actors for obvious reasons.

Edited by Mr_Brown at 15:11:37 29-05-2014

Vita: GameOverYeah

• Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 21:43:53 11,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just finished Season 1, it started off ok but really went to shit, the main actor is terrible, he has his one "I'm gorgeous yet look a bit unhinged and unpredictable" expression which he uses in every single scene.
    A lot of really stupid stuff in the plot, why did King Horik make a huge deal about getting Rollo on his side when he knows nothing about him?
    How did the princess know after one day that she was pregnant?

Doubt I'll watch Season 2....

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Dairyfree 11 Jun 2014 21:53:11 1,278 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    It's too good for the likes of you anyway.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 21:54:53 11,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    It's too good for the likes of you anyway.
    Post of the day.

• Mola_Ram 11 Jun 2014 23:52:59 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wtf, the main actor is shit? He's like one of the two best things on this show!
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 23:54:20 11,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Wtf, the main actor is shit? He's like one of the two best things on this show!
    Don't you agree with what I wrote about his expression?
    A subtle actor he is not ...

• Mola_Ram 11 Jun 2014 23:57:52 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He's a fucking viking! What subtlety do you need? And those blue eyes do more expressing than most of the other characters do with their whole body.

No, sorry. You're just wrong.
  • President_Weasel 11 Jun 2014 23:58:08 9,336 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried hard to love Vikings but I just can't. I stopped watching series one a few episodes in, not through any conscious decision but just through not caring enough to watch it on purpose. I tried again for series two, but turned off the first episode while they were having an unconvincing battle in obviously-a-quarry.

Shame, it's the sort of nonsense I usually like.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Jun 2014 00:01:24 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It does get a lot better once you watch it a bit more. Yeah, I know it sucks that the first couple of episodes of both seasons are a bit weak, but the show rewarded me sticking it out.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2014 07:35:39 11,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    He's a fucking viking! What subtlety do you need? And those blue eyes do more expressing than most of the other characters do with their whole body.

No, sorry. You're just wrong.
    Sounds like you're blinded by your man love for the male model failing at acting....

• Mola_Ram 12 Jun 2014 07:55:46 7,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He is quite dreamy.

But no, seriously. Of all the problems that this show has had*, the performance of the guy playing Ragnar is not one of them. Similar to Floki's actor, he totally sells me on the character. It's alien and unique, and one of the best things about the show.

If you can't see that, well... best stop watching. There's no shortage of Ragnar in the second season.

* And there are several problems of note. See: the former Jarl played by Gabriel Byrne, Rollo in the first season, Ragnar's second wife, King Horik, and some weird decisions they made with Floki in the second season
  • B0rked_Gamer 12 Jun 2014 08:01:30 2,711 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh this features manly men being manly? Do they get all shirtless and sweaty?
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2014 08:03:59 11,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    He is quite dreamy.

But no, seriously. Of all the problems that this show has had*, the performance of the guy playing Ragnar is not one of them. Similar to Floki's actor, he totally sells me on the character. It's alien and unique, and one of the best things about the show.

If you can't see that, well... best stop watching. There's no shortage of Ragnar in the second season.

* And there are several problems of note. See: the former Jarl played by Gabriel Byrne, Rollo in the first season, Ragnar's second wife, King Horik, and some weird decisions they made with Floki in the second season
    Ah, so Ragnar gets married again?
    Thanks for that.

Seriously, could you explain what you think is good about the Ragnar performance?
    Each to their own but he looks impressive but his acting is utterly one dimensional.

The storyline developments are all so obvious and boring, there's just no subtlety or surprise in the show.
    Massive signposts to Rollo going to turn on Ragnar.
    Massive signposts to Ragnar's wife losing the baby and him having another woman having his son....

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2014 08:04:25 11,271 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Oh this features manly men being manly? Do they get all shirtless and sweaty?
    It does, there's a lot of sweat

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous