Who do you chase after a car accident (not at fault)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • von_Doll 25 Mar 2013 09:44:37 2,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some dopey fuck ran a red light at a busy junction and ended up smashing up the front of my other half's little C2. Car was picked up and towed, looking like a write off.

Police weren't interested, although they did appear hours after details were swapped and dopey fuck had gone home; "a matter for insurance companies to sort out", they said.

But whose? Should she should be chasing his insurance company? He has called up and admitted liability to them, and in a fair and just world, they'll do the right thing and either pay for repairs or offer a fair market value without having to pester them.

Or should she be putting in a claim with her own insurance, taking the (massive voluntary) excess on the chin in the hope her own insurance will try and get it back from the third party and that the claim won't stick on her record.

Never had to deal with insurance companies before, so any sage-like would be appreciated. :confused:
  • THFourteen 25 Mar 2013 09:46:32 33,404 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatever happens i think you should let your insurance company know ASAP, and give them the police report

otherwise if you do have to claim on your insurance they will refuse because you didnt tell them in time.
  • Chopsen 25 Mar 2013 09:48:21 15,949 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She contacts her insurance company.

The insurance company will try and work out who's to blame, locate who the other party is and try and claim against their insurance policy.

If they can't find them, they'll have to cover it.

Edited by Chopsen at 09:48:49 25-03-2013
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 09:49:21 87,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes you both independently contact your insurance companies.
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2013 09:50:57 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, you tell you insurance all the details from your side of the incident and then they can compare with the other insurance company's story.

If you don't get your account explained to your insurer then you can't raise any issues if the description of events suddenly gets tweaked a bit because they want to reduce liability for instance.
  • kalel 25 Mar 2013 09:52:19 87,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Different companies have different policies if they can't locate the person at fault. I think Direct Line are quite good in this respect.
  • Zizoo 25 Mar 2013 09:52:54 8,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, act quickly would be my advise.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 09:53:18 59,875 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im currently in a hilarious position where someone scraped my car and left their details.

My insurance company organised for a company to repair my car and the repair company organised for hire car through another company. The repair company went bust before they paid for the car hire and now the car hire company are chasing me for money, which im absolutely positive is bullshit and they are just trying it on, but its really getting on my tits.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• elstoof 25 Mar 2013 09:53:29 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also you shouldn't have to pay any excess because you aren't claiming, you just need to get your company to liaise with their company. Theirs will be the one to pay out, not yours.

You will however have an increased premium next year simply because you've been in an accident, even though its not your fault.
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2013 09:54:18 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • von_Doll 25 Mar 2013 09:55:34 2,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She's contacted her insurance company, but they're telling her to put in a claim.

I would assume they'd then try and claw back the money for the third-party, but I think she's worried they'll simply pay out and forgo trying to work out accountability, thus she'll end up out of pocket and lose her no-claims just because some idiot decided to smack into her.

But surely it doesn't work like that...
  • L_Franko Moderator 25 Mar 2013 09:57:30 9,694 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also tell her to prepare for injury compensation companies to start bombarding you with calls for the next few years.
  • henro_ben 25 Mar 2013 09:57:56 2,216 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Similar thing happened to me a few years ago - 2 weeks after I'd bought my new car :-(

If you've got the other drivers details just phone up your insurer and they'll sort it all out. If they've admitted liability then it'll all be claimed from the other parties insurance - repairs, hire car etc.

Did your other half get the details of a witness by any chance? Always helps, especially if the other driver decides to lie later on...
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2013 09:58:46 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can they not explain how it works? I can't imagine any insurance company would simply pay out without batting an eyelid.
  • elstoof 25 Mar 2013 10:00:46 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Also tell her to prepare for injury compensation companies to start bombarding you with calls for the next few years.
    You don't need to have had an accident to get those calls, I keep getting them about my "accident". I just ask them who told them about the time I got the ketchup bottle stuck up there and they usually hang up.
  • nickthegun 25 Mar 2013 10:02:55 59,875 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It can put your insurance up regardless of fault just because you have been in an accident, annoyingly. It still goes down as a claim on your policy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 25 Mar 2013 10:04:39 87,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe it's also illegal to not inform your insurance company of an accident even if both parties agree not to claim and sort out the damages themselves.

The whole insurance thing really is an utter cunt.
  • X201 25 Mar 2013 10:16:02 15,370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone I work with knocked a child off a bike. Nothing serious, very low speed, child had come belting out into her, rather than her drive the car into the child.

The child's sister then put in claims for all sorts of medical crap.

Despite the car driver having witnesses, the insurance wanted to do it as part blame to save them hassle. So she had go to higher management at the insurance company and insist and force them to acknowledge that she was in no way to blame.

They say you only find out how great a deal the premium was, is when you have to claim.

Edited by X201 at 10:17:14 25-03-2013
  • von_Doll 25 Mar 2013 12:18:20 2,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the advice, lads.

Seems to be popular opinion that her insurance should be doing the legwork regardless.

Bit shit that it will still probably count as a claim and her premiums will go up, but hey, isn't that life when you share the roads with people like that?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next