Hearthstone Page 23

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• Salaman 13 Dec 2013 22:13:06 18,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. Had my stint for tongight. 2 losses, 1 win .. my 3rd ever, bringing me to rank 24 (waheeey!) and then another loss or two.

Off to watch some Elementary and then to bed.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Dec 2013 15:38:01 36,285 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really don't like this game. I finally made the dip into multiplayer today after not really "feeling" the practice mode.

So I'm currently running about 1-11. Nearly everyone plays Mage, and the one person who I beat is also the only person who wasn't. It seems terribly unbalanced because as soon as I play any decent card it'll either be cloned, countered or polymorphed.

And the worst match I played this guy had an entire deck full of gold legendary cards and while it was nice to see the light show and listen to the music I got stomped flat - he dealt 31 damage in one turn FFS.

I think I'm done. Terrible, TERRIBLE game.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Waffleaber 14 Dec 2013 16:05:38 312 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah Mages are a little too flexible at the moment. Area attacks for low level minions, Polymorph or counter for high level AND two Fireballs and Pyroblast for direct damage? You can see why people don't see the need to move away.

I'm still having fun putting together a deck for each class and playing unranked as that's where you see the fewest Mages.
  • Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:07:24 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing is, Tom, the game is a career. Just like the CCGs it's based on. It's not a few hours and you're done kinda experience.

You need to put the hours in with the base decks to understand the mechanics, unlock some expert packs, increase your own card variety, and then go to town.

You can get unlucky, for sure, but today I rocked up with my first ever Warlock deck and I won four games in a row. In fact I even had my first win in the Arena, which was nice.

I've spent 21 on new cards, and I've sunk maybe 16 hours into the game already. That's better value than most of the Call of Duty games I've ever played. ;)
  • Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:08:22 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    (you Xbox One owners are too used to handholding and easy victories - come back to proper gaming where we have to earn our spurs ;-) )
  • teamHAM 14 Dec 2013 16:29:46 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As I said would happen, after the recent changes Mages are now dominating the metagame (even more so than before). In both the EU and NA all the tournament winning decks are mages this week. I'd expect some changes tbh.

So yeah, it's a bit silly now and I hope they do something about Mages. But Blizzard is Blizzard, they do like fucking about and tinkering to a silly extent with all their games. They rarely just leave things alone.

The problem is that a CCG is different to an MMO or RTS in terms of tweaking. In a CCG people need to differentiate their decks. They have nerfed these cards which were strong cards and now not so much (especially Starving Buzzard), but as a result of these nerfs new cards will become strong in the meta because that's how CCG's work.

You can't just nerf every good card that comes along. The answer is to add more cards, more mechanics, and diversify. If they instead stick to a limited card pool and instead spend all their time and resources tweaking (read: nerfing) existing cards in a small pool then the game will get tired quickly.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:31:36 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lest we forget, this is still in Beta. Is this not precisely the time to be experimenting and re-balancing?

In ranked play I've maybe only seen 3 mages in 20+ games today. Gone from 25 down to 21, and that's with a brand new Warlock deck: a class I hadn't even experimented with before today.
  • teamHAM 14 Dec 2013 16:36:39 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Phattso

Yah, except that with Mages they have precisely no rebalancing at all, except in their favour. Right now there is literally zero reason (besides personal choice) to play anything other than a Mage. They have become the Priest from the early beta. And this patch only made it easier for mages with the nerfs to the other cards.

As for warlock, that will be the next class to be nerfed big style. Their early game control is really good. They already got a little nerf with the Flame Imp. I have got my own warlock deck and it performs very well across the board, plus it's extra fun to play.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:42:59 36,285 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    (you Xbox One owners are too used to handholding and easy victories - come back to proper gaming where we have to earn our spurs ;-) )
    Phhht, come back and say that when you can take me at Dota 2 :D

I totally called it.

• Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:51:52 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Yah, except that with Mages they have precisely no rebalancing at all, except in their favour. Right now there is literally zero reason (besides personal choice) to play anything other than a Mage. They have become the Priest from the early beta. And this patch only made it easier for mages with the nerfs to the other cards.

As for warlock, that will be the next class to be nerfed big style. Their early game control is really good. They already got a little nerf with the Flame Imp. I have got my own warlock deck and it performs very well across the board, plus it's extra fun to play.
    So the Mages are the worst. The WORST!

(except the Warlocks - they're next for the chop)

:)

The reason they don't rebalance too many at one time is simply because it becomes too hard to see which changes improved or broke the game.

It's also dangerous to draw conclusions based on early experience. Mages might just be winning because other decks haven't adapted to counter them yet.

It's a beta, it'll take time. For my part, I'm probably winning 40% of my games. You'd imagine 50% to be the norm if it's balanced. So I don't feel gyped at all. And even when I'm losing, I'm learning. And I'm having fun which is, at the end of the day, what it's all about. If you can't take fun from the defeat then for sure this ain't gonna be the game for you.

Early doors I was losing close to 90% though, which I imagine is what has sent MrTomFTW running, whimpering, with his tail between his legs. ;)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:53:38 36,285 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well maybe I'll check it out again when I see they've done something about the Mage spam. Until then it's getting mentally filed away as "unbalanced and not worth my time".

I totally called it.

• Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:55:39 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What mode were you playing to see so many Mages?

Have you considered playing as a Mage? :)
  • teamHAM 14 Dec 2013 16:56:20 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Phattso

You are relentless I'll give you that ;) My opinion isn't worth anything so feel free to ignore :)

• teamHAM 14 Dec 2013 16:57:33 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyway, meanwhile, just booted up for the first time since I got my laptop back, downloaded the (huge) patch, and accepted some FR's.

Seen a new option "Enable Challenging Nearby Players - Friends List" available.. does anyone know what this actually does? I might be missing something obvious.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:58:21 36,285 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

Casual and ranked. I don't have the money for Arena.

I totally called it.

• Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 16:59:52 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @teamHAM

I wasn't dismissing your opinion, I just can't tally it with my own experience. And, well, it IS still just a beta.

Granted I've only played 120 matches or so, which is fuck all in the scheme of things, but despite all these supposed imbalances I have 45 wins under my belt.

Actually, that's a bit less than a 40% win/lose ratio, but if the Mages were running rampant I'd expect it to be lower?

I wonder what would happen if Blizzard randomised people's starting class rather than lumping us all into the Mage bucket?

Edited by Phattso at 17:00:27 14-12-2013
  • Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 17:01:26 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Phattso wrote:

Casual and ranked. I don't have the money for Arena.
    Yeah, I have trouble grinding the 150 gold to get in. Maybe had just three Arena runs in total.

Ranked seemed to have many fewer Mages to me, but I guess it's luck of the draw.
  • Roddles 14 Dec 2013 17:01:44 1,433 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My Rogue laughs at Mages (and every other class to be honest).
  • Phattso Moderator 14 Dec 2013 17:11:04 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been coming up against a lot of Rogues today, aye, and probably losing more than I'm winning. But I have beaten pretty much every class at some point today with my Warlock.

Still loving Hunter most, I think, but it's fun to experiment with all the different builds. Had an hilarious game today with a Rogue who had a fuckload of Legendary cards - he had me beaten in ten turns, but didn't finish me off. He just kept playing cards, and letting them buff each other, until he had something silly like 100 damage on the board.

Very funny.
  • teamHAM 15 Dec 2013 20:52:14 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    seems like big problems with the EU server today.

• Gl3n Moderator 15 Dec 2013 21:42:32 5,168 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the subject of getting pounded by Mages, this was me yesterday against RedSparrows :)

Note this rarely happens.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• RedSparrows 15 Dec 2013 21:59:33 20,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cunting Archmage
  • teamHAM 15 Dec 2013 22:02:38 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah if you don't remove him the turn he is played its pretty much GG.

An extremely powerful card.

Edited by teamHAM at 22:04:20 15-12-2013

• Salaman 16 Dec 2013 09:27:58 18,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Maybe just as well. I was going to jump on last night around 10pm for a few games. As the servers were down, I was in bed shortly after midnight.
  • Benno 16 Dec 2013 09:32:52 9,392 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mages are so common its almost worth making a deck purely to counter them
  • Gl3n Moderator 16 Dec 2013 11:14:26 5,168 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    Maybe just as well. I was going to jump on last night around 10pm for a few games. As the servers were down, I was in bed shortly after midnight.
    It was a bit of an arse, though tbh i've been playing so much over the last week it felt healthy to not be playing.

Having spotted some common cards I'd like for my deck, do I really have to buy loads more packs to hopefully flop one or two? I've run out of fairy dust see.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• MightyMouse 16 Dec 2013 12:42:26 1,091 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they'll address the Mage's OPness fairly soon, but balancing takes time. Ghostcrawler only left fairly recently.
  • teamHAM 16 Dec 2013 13:00:48 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Gl3n

maybe DE some other cards you don't use very often to get the dust you need?

• Roddles 16 Dec 2013 14:18:02 1,433 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • teamHAM 16 Dec 2013 15:40:42 2,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah nearly two days without service now. Pretty shocking. All the while the NA servers are perfectly fine.

So many games suffering from huge server issues this year, must be something in the water (or cables).

• Page

of 36 First / Last