Hearthstone Page 2

• Page

of 97 First / Last

• spamdangled 21 Oct 2013 19:17:35 27,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mikebarnes

That irks me too (about Blizzard). They haven't given their own account holders beta keys yet, but are releasing them out to the general public. I get that they want to create buzz outside of their existing fanbase, but it seems a bit off. They've been inviting their existing fanbase to sign up for Beta access for over a year now, but seem to just be giving the keys away everywhere else.

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:18:11 21-10-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• teamHAM 21 Oct 2013 19:35:37 2,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikebarnes wrote:
    I get the vitriol for this sudden surge of sign ups
    It happens for almost every big key giveaway there is on here. I'm guessing this isn't the only site where it happens either. I suppose it should be expected but as has been said there should be more of a control on it to prevent the inevitable tsunami of new users who just want to get a key and go home.

I'm guessing the keys are meant to be for the "EG Community". Obviously by signing up to the site today you probably consider yourself part of said community. Maybe you will stay and become an active contributor for the next ten years. We all know the reality with most cases will be different. (Just had a quick check at the comments section of the giveaway article.... approx 95% one post users? Nice)

As for receiving nothing from Blizz, yes I know your pain. From launch of vanilla WoW and up until they changed to battle.net accounts I had four WoW accounts, aswell as the licences for all the Warcraft games and expansions, SC and SC2, Diablo I/II/III. Hearthstone is the first beta I have gotten into directly from Blizzard. They are not exactly reknown for treating long time players well, especially compared to other MMO's.

Edited by teamHAM at 19:39:23 21-10-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• teamHAM 21 Oct 2013 19:36:50 2,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, but on a positive note, Blizzard did say that before the end of the Hearthstone Beta, everyone that opted in would be invited.

That's something...right?

• joeymoto108 21 Oct 2013 22:21:05 641 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can understand why EG feel the need for these types of giveaways, but why couldn't they have at least PM'ed all the regulars and given them priority before they publicly announced this competition? Call me entitled but I'd rather it go to us regulars rather than scrounging sods who probably saw this on hotukdeals.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• spamdangled 21 Oct 2013 22:31:38 27,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think that's entitled at all, especially when they say it's a community giveaway etc. I don't care either way about getting a key - I've been waiting over a year after registering for one on battle.net, I'm long past caring at this stage. But it irks me that EG regulars might lose out to chancers.

The upsides:

A temporary spike in traffic and or ad revenue for the site.
    More registrations (is there any real-world benefit to that though?)
    Might get some hits from people hearing about the giveaway via other sites

The downsides:

Site buckles under the strain, causing extra work for the technical staff (already seen problems today from it)
    Mods get extra work
    Genuine regulars lose out, counter-acting the whole "for the community" thing.
    It attracts bots to the site.
    It attracts ebay scalpers
    Most of the newly registered users will never come back to the site anyway.
    The existing Blizzard fanbase - who are probably more likely to offer legitimate beta feedback on balancing and things - lose out to a load of people just trying to get a chance to play before release.

Seems to me that the only people who benefit long-term are the ebay scalpers looking to make a profit and a few randoms.

Edited by darkmorgado at 22:34:06 21-10-2013

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:21:10 21-10-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• teamHAM 21 Oct 2013 23:03:20 2,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agree with all that to be honest.

I know there is a thread open about the giveaway on MMO-Champion, and they get a LOT of traffic. I'm sure there are many other sites directing people here too.

• MikeLeonheart 22 Oct 2013 07:14:54 4 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I opted for beta long time ago but never get a chance to play this game. And I'm starting to run out of youtube videos to satisfy my cravings.
  • THFourteen 22 Oct 2013 08:26:37 33,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Seeing as you are a regular, i'm happy to forgo ebay and just sell you my key directly if you prefer?
  • Wavey 22 Oct 2013 08:33:05 373 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't even know there was a giveaway! :( I'm so excited to play this game but all the keys I could buy are expensive. Here's hoping for a key soon!
  • Roddles 22 Oct 2013 08:41:40 1,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's pretty safe to say that Hearthstone is going to see a full release during Blizzcon next month. Put your money away.
  • GaunerH 22 Oct 2013 08:57:35 1 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Hearthstone is such a brillant game. Awesome work by Blizzard
  • sllony 22 Oct 2013 09:26:46 1 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    all i want is to get a beta key ;] to play this fantastic game: P
  • M83J01P97 22 Oct 2013 09:40:53 6,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    It's pretty safe to say that Hearthstone is going to see a full release during Blizzcon next month. Put your money away.
    This. There is always a big bump in beta key hand outs close to a Blizzard release, which is what is happening here and on other sites.

The popular rumour is that Blizzard are going to pull an Apple and announce the game is available "right now!!!!" during the opening announcement barrage at Blizzcon.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 09:43:45 22-10-2013
  • mikebarnes 22 Oct 2013 09:41:44 4 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Yeah i reckon that this will see launch around Blizzcon. Just to avoid the Blizzard brass being burnt at the stake from some angry cosplay orks (actually that should probably be trolls).

I run a review site which mostly caters for board games and post reviews up on digital fix occasionally for said board games and general geeky stuff. I was hoping to post up a review for the game on both sites as it is in essence a card game similar to magic and the now defunct WOW card game. And that's my main reasoning for trying to get one - this would potentially help to secure more traffic for my sites (its a vicious circle).

I've seen it and played one brief game (my brother in law did get a code swine) and it is a really good game.
  • Plixu 22 Oct 2013 10:13:03 1 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    This game looks so amazing!
  • Grax 22 Oct 2013 10:15:52 2,151 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i have sent my name across for a beta key and if i win and someone on here doesn't i will pass it over
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 10:58:19
    It looks awesome, and all those streams just make me so jealous..
  • DFawkes 22 Oct 2013 11:15:22 22,834 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just had a look at the key prices on eBay. Are people really that desperate to play this beta? It looks enjoyable enough, certainly good enough to purchase when released, but there are bids of 40 for some! I entered just for a chance to see what the fuss is about.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• M83J01P97 22 Oct 2013 11:39:51 6,600 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Just had a look at the key prices on eBay. Are people really that desperate to play this beta? It looks enjoyable enough, certainly good enough to purchase when released, but there are bids of 40 for some! I entered just for a chance to see what the fuss is about.
    It's a Blizzard game. Blizzard are kind of like the Apple of gaming, everything they do get's swamped by an army of raving fans desperate for the next Blizz hit.

Ever seen any pictures from a Blizzcon? It looks like a scary, scary place that's for sure...
  • Roddles 22 Oct 2013 11:59:32 1,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd prefer the eccentric geeks you get at Blizzcon than the loud and annoying youths at the EG Expo.
  • Drew091 22 Oct 2013 12:02:39 1 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    this game is so amazing!!! but i havent beta key :(
  • teamHAM 22 Oct 2013 12:05:50 2,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    They were going for up to 400 not long ago.

• joeymoto108 22 Oct 2013 16:29:40 641 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do fresh accounts comment because they think it boosts their chances of winning or something...?

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• sherpa1984 22 Oct 2013 16:30:26 246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been signed up for a beta key since the summer but no luck. Was hoping I'd stand a chance when EG posted a giveaway on the front page but reddit found out and encouraged people to sign up for it.

So not getting my hopes up!

In the meantime, Duel of Champions is an excellent F2P alternative but very complex.
  • Benno 22 Oct 2013 16:30:58 9,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yes i think they do

I am happy to wait, it does look very good though!
  • Benno 22 Oct 2013 16:33:21 9,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would love it if EG threw a curveball and gave beta keys to people who answered 'no' to the question
  • sherpa1984 22 Oct 2013 16:40:04 246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "no" wasn't an option AFAIK- the drop down menu contained two options and both were "yes".
  • Benno 22 Oct 2013 17:12:16 9,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fuck.. which yes?
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 17:30:28
    Woah this game looks amazing even though usually I don't play card games. Definitely gonna give it a try if I get the chance. Just hope it doesn't become one of those pay to win games..
  • spamdangled 22 Oct 2013 17:36:44 27,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:37:19 22-10-2013

• Page

of 97 First / Last