British & Irish Lions Tour 2013

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 15:00:24 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's almost time for the British & Irish Lions Tour of Australia for 2013!.

Full fixture list :

2013 TOUR FIXTURES

Sat 1 Jun
    BARBARIANS V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Hong Kong Stadium

Wed 5 Jun
    WESTERN FORCE V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Patersons Stadium

Sat 8 Jun
    QUEENSLAND REDS V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Suncorp Stadium

Tue 11 Jun
    COMB NSW-QUEENSLAND V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Hunter Stadium

Sat 15 Jun
    NSW WARATAHS V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Sydney Football Stadium

Tue 18 Jun
    ACT BRUMBIES V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Canberra Stadium

Sat 22 Jun
    AUSTRALIA V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Suncorp Stadium

Tue 25 Jun
    MELBOURNE V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - AAMI Park

Sat 29 Jun
    AUSTRALIA V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - Etihad Stadium

Sat 6 Jul
    AUSTRALIA V BRITISH & IRISH LIONS - ANZ Stadium

A lot of games there and its going to be an excellent tour. As far as the squad goes, Sky Sports have picked theirs, which i dont agree with 100% but its pretty close. Starting 15 for me would be :

15. Halfpenny

14. Cuthbert
    11. Bowe (if fit)
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. Tuilagi

10. Biggar

9. Phillips

7. Robshaw 8. Heaslip 6. Warburton

5. Alun Wyn-Jones 4. Gray

3. Adam Jones 2. Hibbard 1. Jenkins

Obviously, you've got majority Welsh in there as they have the form players. People keep talking about Cian Healy in the front row but, seeing as the Welsh forwards destroyed everyone during the 6 nations, you've got to keep those three together IMO.

I have picked Dan Biggar at 10 because he is the form 10. Farrell lost his head when the going got tough in the 6 nations, so i think its too soon for him to start, where as Sexton lost his place in the Irish team to a small ginger child.

Bottom line is, Gatland has some serious talent to pick from. I'm expecting the squad to be majority Welsh, half a dozen English and two or three from Ireland and Scotland.

Really looking forward to this tour, think it could be a good one.....

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 15:01:18 21-03-2013

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 15:01:50 21-03-2013

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• elstoof 21 Mar 2013 15:08:43 6,609 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It'll be hard for Gatland to pick a bad team in all honesty. I hope Launchbury gets a look in, he had a fantastic tournament and I see big things for him. Farrell won't be touched with a barge pole and rightly so, he's got no composure and no running game. He sat so deep against the Welsh their flat defence had all the space they needed to drive forward and put England under pressure, as as on as Flood was on we started to see some light.

I'd still pick Sexton personally. Ultimately there's going to be a few unlucky Welshmen who should be going on form but have too many numbers filled as a nation.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 15:12:31 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well they normally take three 10's, so i'd like to see them take Biggar, Sexton and Flood, but because Farrell's old man is on the staff, he's definitely going.

• elstoof 21 Mar 2013 15:17:50 6,609 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, Faz is on the coaching staff is he? Still, not convinced Owen will go. I'm sure there's a ruthless side to Andy that will do only what he thinks best for the squad. The fact they pulled him off against Wales was a very encouraging sight.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 15:22:21 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the problem is the press - they've built him up to be the next big thing in English rugby, so if Gatland doesnt pick him there will be uproar.

To be honest, based on the 6 nations performances, the only English players that should be in there are Tuilagi, Launchbury, Croft, Robshaw, Wood and Twelvetrees IMO.

• Trane 21 Mar 2013 15:22:58 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1/2p, Cuthbert, BOD, Tuilagi, Bowe (if fit - else North), Sexton, Phillps, Heaslip, Warburton, Robshaw, Grey (if fit - else Parling), AW Jones, Jones, Hibbard, Healy

That would be mine, Sexton didn't 'lose his place to a ginger kid' - he got injured - he is the best 10 if you don;t factor in place kicking (which 1/2p can take care of).

I can't wait, I have tickets for tests 2&3, also the melbourne rebels match. Bring on June!
  • Trane 21 Mar 2013 15:24:47 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    I think the problem is the press - they've built him up to be the next big thing in English rugby, so if Gatland doesnt pick him there will be uproar.

To be honest, based on the 6 nations performances, the only English players that should be in there are Tuilagi, Launchbury, Croft, Robshaw, Wood and Twelvetrees IMO.
    Croft? Played one game, and was AWOL in it. I thought B Youngs had a pretty good tournament, along with Robshaw and both second rows.

Edited by Trane at 15:37:14 21-03-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 15:25:36 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Trane

I know he got injured, i just dont like Sexton. He's way too inconsistent IMO, can play a stormer one week and be absolute shite the next.

I'd pick Biggar for consistency and his budding partnership with Phillips, but like you say, Sexton is the most likely starter.

• Trane 21 Mar 2013 15:29:29 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Out of all the 10s, Sexton is the most successful at regional and international level. He gets his backline ticking - I know he can be inconsistent but that is usually when he is having an off-day with the boot. If you remove that factor, it takes the pressure off him and will allow him to concentrate purely on game management.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 15:53:54 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know what you're saying and, even though i would personally like to see Biggar start there, i think Sexton will get the shirt - i definitely think Biggar deserves to be in the squad though.

As far as Croft goes, he was poor, but his club form has been excellent. Considering he was one of the best players at the 2009 tour too, i think he needs to be in the squad (not starting mind you).

Ben Youngs will probably go on the tour along with Phillips and Laidlaw. However, as far as the actual tests go, Phillips MUST start - no-one else is even close to him at the moment.

I also agree both English second-rows had a good tournament, but the Lions are probably just as strong in the second row as they are in the back row. Again, both English second-rows should be in the squad, but i'd start Alun Wyn-Jones and Richie Gray because they are further ahead on technical ability and ball carrying IMO.

• Trane 21 Mar 2013 16:01:44 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, agree on all that tbf. Picking the half backs will give a lot away about what sort of rugby Gatland wishes to play. If you want a steady 10 man game - Phillips and Biggar, if you want a malleable pair - Phillips and Sexton, if you want total running heads up rugby - Youngs and Sexton.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 16:03:52
    Sky or BBC? Loved the south Africa tour.
  • Trane 21 Mar 2013 16:06:09 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'll be Sky, can't remember it being anything but. Certainly not since 97.

Edited by Trane at 16:06:22 21-03-2013
  • boo 21 Mar 2013 16:07:17 11,703 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Sky has got the live coverage. Anybody know if the BBC will get any highlights for those of us without Sky?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Trane 21 Mar 2013 16:12:36 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Something in the back of my mind says ITV might have had highlights on previous tours? I may have just dreamt that, though.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 16:16:01
    Live doesn't matter as much being in Australia.
  • welshben23 21 Mar 2013 16:19:45 1,073 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    15 - Halfpenny
    14 - Cuthbert
    13 - O'Driscoll
    12 - Roberts
    11 - Bowe/North
    10 - Sexton
    9 - Phillips
    8 - Robshaw
    7 - Tipuric
    6 - Warburton
    5 - Parling
    4 - Wyn-Jones
    3 - Adam Jones
    2 - Hibbard
    1 - Jenkins

Tuilagi starting instead of Jamie Roberts? Have you all lost your minds? Roberts smashed him on Saturday.
  • Trane 21 Mar 2013 16:31:24 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    welshben23 wrote:
    15 - Halfpenny
    14 - Cuthbert
    13 - O'Driscoll
    12 - Roberts
    11 - Bowe/North
    10 - Sexton
    9 - Phillips
    8 - Robshaw
    7 - Tipuric
    6 - Warburton
    5 - Parling
    4 - Wyn-Jones
    3 - Adam Jones
    2 - Hibbard
    1 - Jenkins

Tuilagi starting instead of Jamie Roberts? Have you all lost your minds? Roberts smashed him on Saturday.
    I'm not naive enough to say a player is crap just because he was playing behind a pack which got smashed. I saw Tuilagi play vs the Ospreys for Leicester earlier in the Heineken Cup too and he was quiet. I just think on his day, Tuilagi offers more dynamism and threat than Roberts - he has produced it on the big stage enough times. And that's coming from a Welshman.

Pepsipop - it doesn't matter to me as you say, I'll be in Aus anyway :D
  • Ultrasoundwave 22 Mar 2013 09:03:47 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gatland talks about the captaincy.

Personally, i would rule out the younger players (Warburton, Robshaw,etc) and give it to one of the older guys - Warburton proved on Saturday that, without the burden of the captaincy, he can concentrate on playing and he had an absolute stormer.

Seeing as i personally think O'Driscoll should start the tests, i would either give it to him or Gethin Jenkins.

• elstoof 22 Mar 2013 09:13:06 6,609 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tuilagi didn't really have any space to make an impact against Wales - who played so flat against a deep and static England - so it's a bit unfair to say Roberts won in the head to head. In a more evenly matched game I'd back Tuilagi against anyone in a muscle contest so he'd be my 12 for the tour. I hope it's not to meatheads in the centre though, a bit of guile at 13 is my kind of balance and I think BOD is still good for for one last lions tour.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 09:16:53 10,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No Stuart Hogg?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Ultrasoundwave 22 Mar 2013 09:19:22 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd have Hogg in my squad, 100%, but Halfpenny is on a different planet at the moment - he's gone head-to-head against Hogg, Goode and Kearney this season and won every time.

Plus his long-range kicking ability means that he just has to start.

• elstoof 22 Mar 2013 09:21:16 6,609 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd take Hogg. I'd probably take Mike Brown too had he actually played at full back where he should be playing.
  • Trane 22 Mar 2013 09:58:25 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't be shocked to see Hogg at 15 and 1/2p on the wing, depends if Hogg forces his way in with some good performances in the warm up games. He'll certainly be on the tour.

Also Dan Lydiate is making his comeback for the Dragons (away to Ospreys) tonight, I'm actually going down to watch. Who? A lot of you might be thinking - last 6N 'player of the tournament'. If he manages to get some good form - he's an outside bet for a plane ticket to Aus, and who knows from there.

Edited by Trane at 10:05:38 22-03-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 22 Mar 2013 10:14:31 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Trane

Any rugby fan worth his salt will know who Dan Lydiate is.

Like you say, if he can prove his fitness, he's DEFINITELY on the plane. He's easily one of the best 6's in world rugby, his work rate and the amount of tackles he puts in during a match are ridiculous.

Will be interesting for Wales in particular when Lydiate, Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau and Ryan Jones are all fit.....

• Trane 22 Mar 2013 10:24:03 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of my English friends who are rugby 'fans' (or were while they beat the all blacks and won four 6N games on the bounce) - din't know who he was ^_^
  • elstoof 22 Mar 2013 11:11:21 6,609 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Come on, Lydiate is pretty well known now. It's Tom Prydie who's career I want an update on. What happened to that kid?
  • Ultrasoundwave 22 Mar 2013 11:12:52 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Christ, i had completely forgotten about him until now!

The last i heard he went to Wasps......absolutely no clue what happened then......?

:eek:

• Trane 22 Mar 2013 11:15:54 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's at the Dragons and has been since the end of last season. Isn't starting tonight though, might be injured.
  • Captain_America 22 Mar 2013 11:23:31 426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Would like to see Jim Hamilton start in the second row. Thought he had a great 6N and would be the Lions enforcer which is something every good team needs.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous