BBC filmmaker fined £6,000 for 'disturbing a polar bear' after filming animal attacking cage

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Lamb 19 Mar 2013 11:41:42 474 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did he have the audacity to order a pizza while he was inside?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2295701/Filmmaker-showed-BBC-presenter-attacked-polar-bear-fined-6-000-disturbing-deadly-animal.html
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 11:45:26 87,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think this is completely fair. These days they can make these documentaries without the animals having any idea of it. They can film from miles away. This was nothing but a stunt to aggravate the polar bear, and they're absolutely right that in doing so they were endangering the animal.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 11:47:11
    Aye I caught a few mins of it and thought it was a bit off.
  • graysonavich 19 Mar 2013 11:50:10 7,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whilst they're at it can they fine them for turning nature documentaries into soap opera dramas?
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 11:50:11 59,908 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think this is completely fair. These days they can make these documentaries without the animals having any idea of it. They can film from miles away.
    Absolutely. The penguin one and the supplemental stuff at the end of africa showed that they can and do film in the most unobtrusive ways possible.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• sport 19 Mar 2013 11:52:29 12,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I think this is completely fair. These days they can make these documentaries without the animals having any idea of it. They can film from miles away.
    Absolutely. The penguin one and the supplemental stuff at the end of africa showed that they can and do film in the most unobtrusive ways possible.
    Well they were damn close to those little turtles hobbling towards the surf. Poor thing must have been very embarrassed.
  • disusedgenius 19 Mar 2013 11:53:15 5,315 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Whilst they're at it can they fine them for turning nature documentaries into soap opera dramas?
    Yeah, I'd be up for that. Nature is interesting enough without them cunting it all up. Same goes with any kind of science documentary.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 11:58:00 87,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    Yeah, I'd be up for that. Nature is interesting enough without them cunting it all up. Same goes with any kind of science documentary.
    Yeah, it is doing my head in a bit. The personification in the nature stuff is getting ridiculous now, and it's so obvious that they're splicing together loads of different things to make it all look like one narrative.

I don't mind a bit of it, but it's becoming too obvious basically.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Mar 2013 12:00:33 7,386 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Meerkat Manor is the worst one I've seen.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Mar 2013 12:00:57 4,208 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Should have given the bear a barrel of aviation fuel.
  • disusedgenius 19 Mar 2013 12:04:21 5,315 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, though a couple of the bit from Africa which annoyed me ended for being too obviously staged ended up being shown in the behind the scenes bit as just being lucky. Stoopid Nature and it's innate sense of theatre. :(
  • Deckard1 19 Mar 2013 12:07:12 27,981 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still haven't got over that baby elephant dying in Africa :cry:
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 12:08:16 87,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, though a couple of the bit from Africa which annoyed me ended for being too obviously staged ended up being shown in the behind the scenes bit as just being lucky. Stoopid Nature and it's innate sense of theatre. :(
    Still, if they hadn't overcooked it in some places, you wouldn't be so cynical as to think real things are fake. So it's still their fault.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 12:09:54 87,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    The elephant that got lost in a previous series (either Life or Planet Earth) was the more upsetting one for me. The image of it walking off into the distance thinking it was catching up with its family but actually moving away from them was really tragic.
  • Trane 19 Mar 2013 12:11:48 4,052 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was planet earth, I nearly blubbed too.
  • Deckard1 19 Mar 2013 12:14:08 27,981 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The one where the orcas separate the whale and its mother is the worst one for me. Think it was on Blue Planet.
  • JuanKerr 19 Mar 2013 12:22:24 36,246 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    The elephant that got lost in a previous series (either Life or Planet Earth) was the more upsetting one for me. The image of it walking off into the distance thinking it was catching up with its family but actually moving away from them was really tragic.
    I don't understand how people can't step in and help the animal in those circumstances. They always mention that it's unnatural to interfere, but humans interfere with nature all the fucking time, so why not just help the poor blighter.
  • graysonavich 19 Mar 2013 12:22:36 7,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is that a club in Gateshead?
  • Deckard1 19 Mar 2013 12:23:59 27,981 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :D
  • kalel 19 Mar 2013 12:24:26 87,627 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I don't understand how people can't step in and help the animal in those circumstances. They always mention that it's unnatural to interfere, but humans interfere with nature all the fucking time, so why not just help the poor blighter.
    They talk about interference in Africa and they do say sometimes they do step in and help. Maybe they actually did in this case. Again, the story they portray is often a bit different to the reality anyway.
  • disusedgenius 19 Mar 2013 12:26:52 5,315 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    The behind the scene on the Pengiun episode of Planet Earth was great for that. A little chick was separated from it's mother and the camera man/woman/whoever basically just said something like 'fuck it, I know I'm not meant to, but no one's here to tell me otherwise' and reunited the two. It was awesome.
  • JuanKerr 19 Mar 2013 12:27:46 36,246 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah right, haven't seen the behind the scenes stuff.
  • mrpon 19 Mar 2013 13:19:07 28,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking it was a bit uncalled for.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• kosigan 19 Mar 2013 13:55:44 467 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder what the fine would have been if the polar bear had managed to eat the presenter, as it clearly wanted to.
  • twelveways 19 Mar 2013 15:22:12 4,007 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think it was that bad, probably spiced up the polar bears day as I can't imagine there is much else to do around there.
  • roz123 19 Mar 2013 15:26:17 7,113 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wonder how many tiny bugs they accidently kill when they are filming tiny bugs
  • jellyhead 19 Mar 2013 16:26:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kosigan It would have been shot as soon as it had taken a bit of the wrapping off of the lovely meaty present someone had left it.

The camera crew would have had a couple of blokes with big rifles just in case.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next