Mario Kart 8

• Page

of 75 First / Last

Previous
  • NOSAVIOUR 17 Mar 2013 21:49:01 2,804 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm hoping the next iteration takes inspiration from Sonic Racing Transformed and Smash Brothers - I would love it to become a 'Nintendo Kart'. Bring back the bomb from Mario Kart 64 mp too, I'm pretty sure there's a mint asymmetric mp mode waiting to be made for it. Nuff said roll on E3.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2013 21:58:57
    I just want a bit more meat on it, MK7 felt very bare bones. Would also love an adventure mode with some RPG elements of sorts.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 21:59:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Remove or drastically reduce the power of the blue shell. Luck outweighs skills far too much in the Wii game.

Wider Nintendo would be great. Get some of the wider scope that makes the smash bros games feel bigger than just Mario.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 21:59:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd also love a track creator. The WiiU screen is ideal for it, and it would make the game seem much bigger and more varies.
  • NOSAVIOUR 17 Mar 2013 22:02:58 2,804 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the series needs an overhaul and a bit more time in dev spent on it. Every generations Mario Kart since the first has always felt rushed to meet the demand. Not in a bad way but I always have this niggling feeling they could have done so much more.
  • Syrette 17 Mar 2013 22:11:45 43,482 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really? It's just a kart racer at the end of the day. Not too much you can add to it without diluting the pure fun factor it's always had.

• RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 22:15:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @NOSAVIOUR I thought DS and Double Dash felt more complete. The overbearing impact of the weapons ruined Wii.

Some non-Mario levels using wider Nintendo properties would widen the scope of levels and provide something new. I still think a level creator would be brilliant.
  • Razz 17 Mar 2013 22:23:50 61,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Playing sonic racing transformed 2 really opened my eyes to how played out SMK is, It needs a new angle, not just a gimmick. I would love to see some new ideas, some new modes, track maker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• SuperCoolEskimo 17 Mar 2013 22:29:36 9,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bring back the jump leaf :)
  • NOSAVIOUR 17 Mar 2013 22:34:03 2,804 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Syrette they just seem to lack the passion that's so obvious in something like Smash Brothers. And having played Sonic Transformed to death makes me realise just how much further Nintendo could take Mario Kart. I would love a starfox/f-zero/zelda/pikmin/metroid tracks and characters to name a few, adventure mode as mentioned, changing courses, track editor, even a double dash mp mode one player using gamepad and the other using a controller in same kart.
  • ResidentKnievel 17 Mar 2013 22:40:49 6,201 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Remove or drastically reduce the power of the blue shell. Luck outweighs skills far too much in the Wii game.

Wider Nintendo would be great. Get some of the wider scope that makes the smash bros games feel bigger than just Mario.
    I don't really get the argument for removing the blue shell, if it were to be removed you'd have to give the players in second and third increased chances of getting triple red shells. The first person to get a sizable lead in a Mario Kart race has often been very lucky to survive the early race melee, and they don't have to deal with being hit from all sides by powerful weapons like the players behind them.

Removing the blue shell would just cause whoever is leading after the first lap to win the race unchallenged, like in Diddy Kong Racing with its stupid weapon system.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 22:43:28 17-03-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 22:45:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel it's an overbearing solution as it is. Maybe if it could be stopped by a shell or banana it would be fairer. I stopped playing MKWii after being miles faster than anyone else but getting hit by two blue shells, three red shells and lightning in one lap to end up sixth.

It often disadvantages you to be fastest which is idiotic for a racing game.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 22:46:16 17-03-2013
  • ResidentKnievel 17 Mar 2013 22:49:08 6,201 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe the guys behind are just as fast as you but have to deal with stars, mega mushrooms and triple shells constantly. You're at far more of a disadvantage being in the middle of the pack, you only get hit once or twice per lap out in front.

Like Razz has said, the entire series is in need of an overhaul, blue shells are a band aid for a comparatively poor weapons system. If they're not going to overhaul it then I'd rather blue shells be kept in.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 22:54:12 17-03-2013

• RobTheBuilder 17 Mar 2013 23:02:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel I agree with that. Blue shells are a harsh way to deal with weapon anarchy and crazy banding. The whole system does need an overhaul, less artificial banding, more even weapons with less ability to take several hits in a row.

That specific example I gave, I hit every corner perfectly. I can safely say there was no physical way to win that race by racing fast because the barrage of weapons would destroy any possible race speed.
  • mal 17 Mar 2013 23:22:38 22,554 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Certainly back on MK64 the best tactic was usually to hang in 2nd place at the start of the third lap so that you get better items and can usually overtake and not get re-overtaken, but since then they've tweaked the parameters so that's not so easy to do. But they've also made it harder to defend from the front, as these days there are more occasions where you'll lose defensive items - e.g. when you get hit by lightning.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MrSemprini 18 Mar 2013 11:32:10 9,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm hoping for a barely perceptible iteration from the Wii & 3DS versions. I want a shoddy online with bare bones options for customising races and frequent disconnections. I want them to ignore glaring and obvious deficiencies and instead look at the sales numbers for the most recent versions and follow the if it ain't broke don't fix it mantra.

To expect anything more is to expect disappointment.
  • ResidentKnievel 18 Mar 2013 14:00:50 6,201 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, Sonic Transformed hardly set the sales charts alight, so I can't see them deviating from a winning formula.

• Aretak 18 Mar 2013 14:25:56 10,354 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They should try and modernise it a bit. Maybe set it in the future, rather than the generic Mario environments. In fact, perhaps it doesn't even need to include Mario characters at all. They could create all-new racers and call them things like Captain Kestrel and Samurai Mofo, and have them drive futuristic vehicles instead of karts. Upping the speed of the game significantly couldn't hurt either, nor removing all the power-ups (except for boosts).

Alternatively, just make a new F-Zero instead you pricks.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Mar 2013 14:28:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    ... and call them things like Captain Kestrel and Samurai Mofo ...
    Brilliant.

: )
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Mar 2013 14:57:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The lack of an FZero on Wii was infuriating. A 3DS FZero should e mandatory to, that speed in 3D would be ace
  • javvyman 18 Mar 2013 15:11:54 709 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty sure that would make my eyes bleed!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 18 Mar 2013 15:20:30 9,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope they include the option to remove all items and let players do racing only. Perhaps like the TT mode where each racer has three mushrooms at the beginning and that's it.
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Mar 2013 15:36:16 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mario Kart WiiU NEEDS to be good. It's the game that might save the hardware from its current cliff.
  • roz123 18 Mar 2013 15:44:16 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can turn items off on Mario Kart 7
  • DuvaDan88 19 Mar 2013 22:07:45 539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FZero would be insta buy on either 3DS or WiiU. Mario kart 7 really hit the sweet spot for me so I hope they flesh the online.

I think one problem is half the tracks are old tracks we have already played to death. I think new 32 tracks would be good and then release the old ones as DLC (I know id pay for them after once ive put the hours in), maybe have a poll to see what one get made as DLC aswell to mix it up?

The problem id have with them removing the blue shell is if im playing with friends/family (who wouldnt of put the hours in like me) dont know the tracks and I could build a large lead up and then go on to win the race with ease, they wouldnt mind it a couple of time but that would soon become boring but with the blue shell im at least within reach so it mixes it up.

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 22:16:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DuvaDan88 on multiplayer it's not so much of an issue, but in single player it's unbearably bad.
    By opening up to a wider Nintendo series it would provide much new inspiration for tracks and ideas rather than the same old ones
  • MatMan562 19 Mar 2013 22:20:10 2,462 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    With the changes they made to the blue shell in MK7 it's very nearly almost slightly balanced. As DuvaDan said, it's needed for Mario Kart to retain it's "party game" appeal. An option to individually switch off items (like in Smash Bros) would be good though.

MK7 was my favourite MK game and it was the first time I bothered to 3 star every cup so I'd be happy with more of the same but if they keep the air, sea, land elements I'd prefer it being Sonic's way with boats and planes rather than gliders and... underwater karts.

I'm looking forward to see if they can do anything interesting with the gamepad as well. Though it will probably be one or two battle modes rather than anything big I would imagine.

Edit: Oh, and with adding other Nintendo characters, etc, I think they'd be better off creating a whole new game. Release the new MK soon to get the sales and then start working on it. That way they'd have an excuse for releasing two Mario Kart games per console as well.

Edited by MatMan562 at 22:22:34 19-03-2013

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 22:23:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MatMan562 it would have been tough to make it worse than Wii!
  • DuvaDan88 20 Mar 2013 19:48:12 539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See I only play the single player to unlock everything for the multiplayer sections I have, once that's done I rarely go back to it so never really have that issue

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• Razz 20 Mar 2013 19:58:55 61,205 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    The lack of an FZero on Wii was infuriating. A 3DS FZero should e mandatory to, that speed in 3D would be ace
    Mate all they need do remaster f-zero x for the 3ds, add a track editor and online and it would be the best game of all time

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Page

of 75 First / Last

Previous