Healthy savoury snacks? Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• RubyRed 20 Jan 2005 10:23:55 4,303 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    May I also suggest Thai Bites or other rice crackers. Also, Skips, Quavers and Monster Munch have significantly less fat and calories then other crisps - skips only has 98 cals a packet. Or the Walkers Sensations Poppadums. They have next to no calories or fat in them as well.

Another tip: drinks tons of water. You'll feel so bloated you wouldn't be able to eat!
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 10:26:19
    MikeD wrote:
    snack a jacks are absically rice waffles with flavour right?

I like the ones with caramel flavour.

Haven't tried those ones. Can't beat chili. Or am I getting mixed up?
  • Angel_Treats 20 Jan 2005 10:48:26 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Space Invaders crisps are very low fat too, and Walkers Lites as well.

I'm trying to drink lots of water at work, haven't had any diet coke at work all week (and not much at home either) and have eaten no rubbish at all and only mandarin oranges or low fat yoghurt between meals. I'm feeling very virtuous. Will be back to normal size in no time :)
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 10:48:54
    Get a potato peeler and a sweet potato.

'Shave' the sweet potato to make loads of wafer thin 'crips' from the sweet potato and bke them...

Very low fat crips that'll cost you 'pennies'... Very good for you too...

Just 'spice' them with whatever (garlic powder, chilli etc search the web for ideas) or eat them 'in the raw'.

Oh and don't forget about fruit!!! Apples, bananas etc...
  • MikeD 20 Jan 2005 11:12:41 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Can't beat chili. Or am I getting mixed up?

Dunno, we don't have chili here, only cheese and caramel.

• ssuellid 20 Jan 2005 11:17:48 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeD, the chilli ones IIRC are sour cream and sweet chilli flavour. They are part of a newish range that are smaller than the other two.
  • MikeD 20 Jan 2005 11:19:13 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    MikeD, the chilli ones IIRC are sour cream and sweet chilli flavour. They are part of a newish range that are smaller than the other two.

We'll probably get them soon, then.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 11:49:28
    Christ, is everyone on here on a diet then????

Igave up smoking 1 year ago (coor, how great do I feel now) but I put on 2 stone, gonna shake that off now (loosing about 2 punds a week using my 'special' 3 a day diet)...

Is everyone dieting 'cause they stopped smoking too?
  • ssuellid 20 Jan 2005 11:53:29 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Djini wrote:

Sort of. I gave up a year ago as well. But there was also the over indulgence on takeaways, alcohol and junk food - mainly due to having a very hectic couple of years.
  • Angel_Treats 20 Jan 2005 11:56:51 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've quit smoking but when I was having problems with my ex I started comfort eating and never quite got out of the habit. Plus I had a very dodgy back that meant I had to give up my aerobics classes. Consequently I put on a bit of weight. I should find it easy enough to shift though, given that I've stopped the comfort eating now, and I'm wanting to buy a bike to get some exercise :) Walking just bores me, really, and I'm still a bit wary of hurting my back again by doing anything too strenuous.
  • RubyRed 20 Jan 2005 11:59:47 4,303 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Angel, have you tried Yoga at all? It's hard work but it actually helps your back rather than make it worse. Plus it's not boring like running and doesn't kill you by making you out of breath.
  • Nasty 20 Jan 2005 12:01:11 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Djini wrote:

Sort of. I gave up a year ago as well. But there was also the over indulgence on takeaways, alcohol and junk food - mainly due to having a very hectic couple of years.

Same here ish. Gave up smoking a year and a hlaf ago and said to my self that I'd not worry too much about my weight for a while. Need to shed 3-4 stone now though :(
  • Angel_Treats 20 Jan 2005 12:03:39 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    Angel, have you tried Yoga at all? It's hard work but it actually helps your back rather than make it worse. Plus it's not boring like running and doesn't kill you by making you out of breath.
    Aye, I used to do it quite a lot but have been far too lazy of late. I really should get back into it as I used to really like it.
  • ssuellid 20 Jan 2005 12:06:33 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cycling can be bad for some back problems. Pilates has been great for mine and the wifes back problems. Mine are just muscular whilst she has disc and joint problems in her back.
  • Dougs 20 Jan 2005 12:10:37 66,672 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kebabs no good for you then?!

As for snacks, fruit all the way. Doesn't help you as you're after savoury stuff, but works a treat for me.

Now, if only I could stop drinking all that beer, I might actually lose some weight....

Exercise - swimming everytime. Its low impact, so is great for those with dodgy joints, bad backs etc, and uses a huge amount of muscles. If you can get past the boredom.....
  • StixxUK 20 Jan 2005 12:21:28 7,231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ugh, how can you eat Snack-a-Jacks?

I had a free sample pack forced upon me as I was walking down the street one day and they tasted of feet. No joke.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 12:31:54
    MikeD wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Can't beat chili. Or am I getting mixed up?

Dunno, we don't have chili here, only cheese and caramel.

Where are you?
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 12:32:52
    StixxUK wrote:
    Ugh, how can you eat Snack-a-Jacks?

I had a free sample pack forced upon me as I was walking down the street one day and they tasted of feet. No joke.

They're not that bad, Stixx. They've got a niced baked taste to them, which some people think is like feet. I can't get enough of them personally.
  • MikeD 20 Jan 2005 12:34:18 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Where are you?

The Netherlands

• RubyRed 20 Jan 2005 12:34:56 4,303 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The barbecue ones aren't bad, and it's amazing how accustomed you can become to eating polystyrene.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 14:09:43
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 14:09:57
    Post deleted
  • pjmaybe 20 Jan 2005 14:11:37 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only problem with snack-a-jacks, the bloody MESS they make...

It's impossible to eat one without it breaking up into tiny bits and going all over you/the floor/everything

Peej
  • Angel_Treats 20 Jan 2005 14:15:48 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I forgot about snack a jacks. Before I started eating rubbish, I used to buy snack a jacks all the time. Pink & Whites are nice too, can you buy those over here? the wafers with marshmallow inside? There's absolutely no badness in them at all, six of them is the equivalent of half a Dairy Milk :)
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 14:17:25
    And they taste nicer than a Dairy Milk too. Damn, I'd forgotten about them. Now I want some. Damn you, A_T ;)!
  • pjmaybe 20 Jan 2005 14:18:12 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aside from the fact that pink and whites are made from pork gelatin, nope, there's nothing bad about 'em at all ;)

Peej
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 14:19:04
    Angel sounds like a weight-watchers-girl...

Am I right?

/me wife used to go...
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 14:19:06
    You. Are. Fucking. Joking.
  • ssuellid 20 Jan 2005 14:20:02 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    It's impossible to eat one without it breaking up into tiny bits and going all over you/the floor/everything

They sell 3 sizes - the fist size ones, bit smaller ones and the little smaller than crisp bitesize. The bigger ones are like eating flavoured cardboard. The tiny crisp a like ones are lovely.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 14:22:55
    deathgibbon wrote:
    You. Are. Fucking. Joking.

Who, me?
  • Page

of 7 First / Last