Healthy savoury snacks? Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• faux-C 17 Sep 2009 17:51:43 9,525 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    only 64 calories per serving, (25g)

Going by those numbers, it's more likely to be 640 calories per serving.
  • ronuds 17 Sep 2009 17:51:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They also make turkey jerky, which is obviously even more nutritional.

Don't buy that Slim Jim junk, though! :D
  • mrpon 17 Sep 2009 18:27:11 29,402 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right, all this talk I had to pick some up on the way home. I've got some Wild West Peppered Beef Jerky, 1.99. For nutritional fans, per 57g it breaks down as:
    Energy 161 kcals, Protein 22.4g, Carbs 13g, Fat 2.1g, Fibre nil, Sodium 07g.

As for the taste, well this brand is pretty rubbery and very peppery, it looks a bit like flooring. Not sure about the taste/texture.

Hmmmm.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• jerrymanu 17 Sep 2009 18:39:52 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Beef Jerky is absolutely NOT healthy. It's very bad for you, I got hooked on it in the US and ended up eating several bags a week, I love the stuff. :)

EEK! care to elaborate? Please, I've ordered a kilo of the stuff!
  • jerrymanu 17 Sep 2009 18:42:38 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    ................... pretty rubbery .................... it looks a bit like flooring. Not sure about the taste/texture.........

Ah man! I'm hoping my purchase is less rubber floor like!
  • mrpon 17 Sep 2009 18:49:01 29,402 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is just the stuff you see hanging up in the crisps aisle in Sainos. Post your feedback when you get yours jerry.

• jerrymanu 17 Sep 2009 18:57:17 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this yours mrpon?
  • TheRealBadabing 17 Sep 2009 19:12:25 1,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your bag mrpon, normally it is really good quality.

I really like the All natural range - my favourite is the traditional for an easy to eat nom nom moment. The teriyaki is great too but very moreish. I used to enjoy the peppered stuff but the pepper got stuck in between my teeth...would spend more time digging up my molars than eating.

Only been ordering the habanero recently though, really good heat which means I have to nibble it and thus make a bag last much longer.
  • mrpon 17 Sep 2009 19:13:47 29,402 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jerrymanu wrote:
    Is this yours mrpon?
    Ermm yes and no! It's made by Wild West, and is peppered. The packet doesn't look like your link though, it looks like this, but mine is peppered as opposed to hot n spicy.

Oh don't get me wrong Bada, I'm sure it's lovely to some people, didn't seem to strike a chord with me.

• PinkSpider 17 Sep 2009 19:46:23 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have one! Seaweed 'crisps'. They are mega and come in flavours such as chilli/ tomato ketchup. I've given them to people at work. Some love them, some say they taste like feet.

Mmmm, iodine.
  • Aranel 17 Sep 2009 20:19:47 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Beef Jerky is absolutely NOT healthy. It's very bad for you, I got hooked on it in the US and ended up eating several bags a week, I love the stuff. :)

Doesn't it depend on which stuff you buy though. If it's full of crap, artificial bobbins and the like then, it'll be bad for you. I thought the linked were pretty pure?

Make your own bakkwa - it's a sort of Chinese/Malaysian dried meat thing that's about a million times better than jerky or biltong. Really easy to make and at least then you know what's in it :D.
  • ecu 18 Sep 2009 02:10:40 77,228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jerrymanu wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

EEK! care to elaborate? Please, I've ordered a kilo of the stuff!

I'm sure you'll be fine! Some beef jerky is better than others, I'm quite an expert actually. I tended to go for the Jack Links Teriyaki, but there's better stuff than that. A lot of the time it can be a bit chewy and stringy, but every now and again you get a piece that is so soft and succulent.
  • Fizzog 18 Sep 2009 04:16:02 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought some Quorn Cocktail Sausages yesterday and they're only 16 calories each!

They're also pretty much fat free so well worth a try.
  • Rodney 18 Sep 2009 04:59:33 1,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:
    I have one! Seaweed 'crisps'. They are mega and come in flavours such as chilli/ tomato ketchup. I've given them to people at work. Some love them, some say they taste like feet.

Mmmm, iodine.

You can also buy dried fish skin in Asian food shops.

They are almost okay but they take too long to chew. chilli ones are better.

They taste exactly like they smell and they happen to smell exactly like those fish food flakes you feed to gold fish.
  • Rodney 18 Sep 2009 05:00:00 1,918 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This may be an obvious one, but has anyone said fruit yet?
  • lucky_jim 18 Sep 2009 07:01:18 5,331 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't think of any savoury fruit. Such a thing would be wonderful though.
  • dr_swin 18 Sep 2009 07:09:27 4,907 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    avocado?
  • Dirtbox 18 Sep 2009 07:37:46 78,771 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tomato?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• sargulesh 18 Sep 2009 08:15:00 3,281 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mentat wrote:
    I love crisps, peanuts, cashew nuts, bombay mix etc, but they are mostly all bad for you - high fat and stuff.

So what's left? What's a tasty savoury snack that i can nibble on without feeling guilty?

Cashew nuts are fine; just don't eat more than half a cup a day, fatty.

The answer to this question is fucking vegetables.
  • yegon 18 Sep 2009 08:22:34 5,394 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    May already have been said, but Ryvita bite size thingies are tasty. Sweet chilli ones are gorgeous, about 80 cals per pack iirc.
  • pistol 18 Sep 2009 09:33:42 13,019 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sargulesh wrote:
    mentat wrote:
    I love crisps, peanuts, cashew nuts, bombay mix etc, but they are mostly all bad for you - high fat and stuff.

So what's left? What's a tasty savoury snack that i can nibble on without feeling guilty?

Cashew nuts are fine; just don't eat more than half a cup a day, fatty.

The answer to this question is fucking vegetables.

Same goes for a lot of nuts as they have mono-unsaturated fats and a lot have omega-3 as well. Walnuts are particularly good for you, almonds, pecans, brazils, and of course as already mentioned, Cashews. Eat them in small doses, salt free, and I would say either half a cupful or a handful a day is enough. I mix these nuts in flapjacks and they're wicked.

• jerrymanu 22 Sep 2009 08:40:01 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    \o/ result! My Jerky arrived this morning. As I said previously in the thread, I've just ordered 11 bags of the hot and spicy and just had half a bag for breakfast! Hells bells it warm :) In good way though. I do think I should have gone with a mixed value pack though. It's not that this isn't great, and it is BTW, its just I'm curious now to see what the other flavours / textures are like.

+1 for Wild West Jerky :D

[update] 09:20 : Finding it really hard not to finish that first bag. Good sign I guess :-P

[update] 10:00 : Finally gave in, re-opened the bag. hhmmmm meaty...
  • mrpon 23 Sep 2009 09:20:21 29,402 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone tried graze? Apparently "healthy eating delivered to your desk", intrigued by the seaweed peanut crackers.

• BabyJesus 23 Sep 2009 09:22:49 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jerrymanu wrote:
    \o/ result! My Jerky arrived this morning. As I said previously in the thread, I've just ordered 11 bags of the hot and spicy and just had half a bag for breakfast! Hells bells it warm :) In good way though. I do think I should have gone with a mixed value pack though. It's not that this isn't great, and it is BTW, its just I'm curious now to see what the other flavours / textures are like.

+1 for Wild West Jerky :D

[update] 09:20 : Finding it really hard not to finish that first bag. Good sign I guess :-P

[update] 10:00 : Finally gave in, re-opened the bag. hhmmmm meaty...

I'm seriously considering buying some of this, but I know I would end up eating too much over the winter months while gaming and emerging like a blimp in the spring time.
  • jerrymanu 23 Sep 2009 10:03:01 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D We nailed two bags yesterday :o Had to talk my self out of opening a third at about 1 am as well. As I understand it its not "fattening" as such, but it does have sugar, salt etc as flavourings. Look here - here, - here, - and here for ingredients and nutritional values. Good eatin AND good values :)
  • figgis 23 Sep 2009 10:50:47 7,381 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Anyone tried graze? Apparently "healthy eating delivered to your desk", intrigued by the seaweed peanut crackers.

I get the graze box three times a week instead of sandwiches, it's pretty good. I feel better for not having as much bread as I used to. Along with a few pieces of fruit and a bag of crisps you don't need anything else.

But you need to keep an eye on the amount of nuts you get, Macadamia nuts are particularly fatty.
  • jerrymanu 23 Sep 2009 10:58:42 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

Wow, looks great! TBH, I've always dismissed the "vegan" nuts, seeds, crackers thing, but this looks really appetizing. Shame I don't live in the UK :(
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 23 Sep 2009 11:03:11 7,014 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't graze just the same old stuff you can buy from any supermarket at half the price?
  • Page

of 7 First / Last