Healthy savoury snacks?

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • mentat 19 Jan 2005 16:53:22 5,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, so i'm being quite sensible now, with my diet.

Sensible breakfast, salad for lunch, sensible tea. No chocolate, crisps and very little beer :(

What i most miss though is savoury stuff.

I love crisps, peanuts, cashew nuts, bombay mix etc, but they are mostly all bad for you - high fat and stuff.
    So what's left? What's a tasty savoury snack that i can nibble on without feeling guilty?
  • MikeD 19 Jan 2005 16:54:27 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    carrots!
  • Nasty 19 Jan 2005 16:54:31 4,749 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salt and Vinegar Snack a Jacks!!!!

Tongue numbing quality savouryness!

/goes to shop
  • ssuellid 19 Jan 2005 16:56:06 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quaker do some nice crisp like snacks. Next to Ryvita in the supermarkets - they have some gorgeous sweet chilli flavour.

Called: -

Quaker Snack-a-Jacks Mini Bites Sour Cream & Sweet Chilli flavour.

Nuts are a no no on a diet.

Edited by ssuellid at 16:58:11 19-01-2005
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Jan 2005 16:56:31 17,287 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually nuts are very good for you in small amounts, it's all about moderation. Something I have no idea about /piles on butter and more cheese

You are a factory of sadness.

• mentat 19 Jan 2005 17:00:37 5,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    carrots are not savoury! :)
    Besides if i eat any more of them i'll go orange!

Nuts are ok, but not the roasted and salted kind - the ones i like :)

I'd forgotten about snackajacks and the likes though...
    any more?
  • MikeD 19 Jan 2005 17:03:53 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think dieting/eating sensibly means losing the stuff to nibble on.

The way I understand it from 'experts' is that it's o.k. to eat sweets or fat stuff, as long as you eat it at once, and not over a long time span (something to dow ith digestion, bla bla). So not a few crisps every minute over a time of 30 minutes or so.

I'm afraid you'll have to substitute it for drinking water. That's what I try :-)
  • ssuellid 19 Jan 2005 17:04:36 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Depends on what sort of diet you are on. Some cut out carbs as well - so out go pasta, spuds and rice. The slimming world diet has 'free' foods - includes spuds, rice, pasta and even preprepared cans of spaghetti in tom sauce, baked beans etc. Bread seems to be bad on all diets.
  • Juninho 19 Jan 2005 17:05:15 1,825 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I take it you've already eaten all of the pies?
  • Nasty 19 Jan 2005 17:05:46 4,749 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Torilla chips are a healthier snack as they are baked flour snack rather than a fired potato snack.

Whip yourself up a fresh tomato/pepper/chilli dip and your sorted.
  • markypants 19 Jan 2005 17:49:32 2,755 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mentat wrote:

Sensible breakfast, salad for lunch, sensible tea. No chocolate, crisps and very little beer :(

I love crisps, peanuts, cashew nuts, bombay mix etc, but they are mostly all bad for you - high fat and stuff.
    So what's left? What's a tasty savoury snack that i can nibble on without feeling guilty?

Get yourself popcorn machine, and eat it with nothing on... Not you with nothing on... The popcorn. Though you could eat it with nothing on just like the tribe in Papa New Guinea that invented popcorn... I'm lying.
  • Derblington 19 Jan 2005 18:20:07 22,111 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mentat - It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to eat healthy for life, as opposed to a diet, you'll get upset every time you eat some form of shit, which you inevitably will. The way that works best for me, and a lot of other people is to eat well and exersive for 6 days a week and then have a day off. Eat what you want within moderation, obviously eating chocolate solidly for the 16 hours you're awake wouldn't be good.

Still it helps you to eat well the rest of the time and you can still eat the things you love :)

Edited by Derblington at 18:20:23 19-01-2005
  • mentat 19 Jan 2005 19:36:39 5,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Mentat - It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to eat healthy for life, as opposed to a diet, you'll get upset every time you eat some form of shit, which you inevitably will. The way that works best for me, and a lot of other people is to eat well and exersive for 6 days a week and then have a day off. Eat what you want within moderation, obviously eating chocolate solidly for the 16 hours you're awake wouldn't be good.

Still it helps you to eat well the rest of the time and you can still eat the things you love :)
    Bit of both at the moment - I'm dieting right now to try and encourage weight loss, but i'm intending to keep up the healthy eating for life...
    I'm trying to be very careful for a few weeks to get some sort of result! :)

otto wrote:
    I recently discovered pita bread 'crisps' - basically pita bread dried and then broken up into crisp-sized, um, crisps. You can get them here flavoured with garlic, onion, cheese, chives, etc etc. They're bloody delicious! And virtually zero fat. They're absolutely great with dips - for healthy ones go with hummus or tahini - OK they have olive oil but a little bit's OK. You could also make your own dips with yoghurt, chives etc. Don't use low-fat yoghurt though, go with the proper Greek/Turkish full-fat stuff. It's still much healthier than sour cream.
    Wow! They sound great! Do they do them over in Blighty though?
  • Khab 19 Jan 2005 19:55:54 6,576 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    markypants wrote:
    Get yourself popcorn machine, and eat it with nothing on... Not you with nothing on... The popcorn. Though you could eat it with nothing on just like the tribe in Papa New Guinea that invented popcorn... I'm lying.

Just as long as you don't put something heinous on, like sugar.
  • Foregone-Reality 19 Jan 2005 20:28:33 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone remember those Go Ahead biscuit/crisp hybrids that came in a Pringles like tube?

The salt and vineagar were fan flipping tastic. I think the entire tube was only 200 calories.

I wish they brought those back..
  • ssuellid 19 Jan 2005 20:32:56 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those packet savoury rices are supposed to be quite good for you on a diet.
  • mentat 19 Jan 2005 20:53:16 5,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cheers for the ideas chaps.

I might try to make some of those pita chips over the weekend! :)
  • Whizzo 19 Jan 2005 20:56:08 43,269 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those pita chips sound rather interesting, I maybe putting the chef's hat on this weekend too. :-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 19 January 2005 21:34:18
    Snack-A-Jacks or those new Special K things. Both are pretty nice apart from the hard bits in the latter. Good luck with the diet :)
  • MikeD 19 Jan 2005 21:41:35 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    snack a jacks are absically rice waffles with flavour right?

I like the ones with caramel flavour.
  • pjmaybe 20 Jan 2005 08:52:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't do the snack-a-jacks thing, eating about 4 of those is about the equivalent of a pack of crisps. The flavoured ones are worse IIRC

Best healthy savoury snacks are to be found in holland and barrets, munchy seeds and stuff with very little fat - and if you can find them these ridiculously low calorie Jordans savoury things that look like go-cat but taste scrummy!

Peej
  • pistol 20 Jan 2005 09:18:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Salt and Vinegar Snack a Jacks!!!!

Tongue numbing quality savouryness!

/goes to shop

My misses likes them...I think they're fookin revolting.
  • pistol 20 Jan 2005 09:20:52 13,019 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    markypants wrote:
    mentat wrote:

Years ago when I was pretty heavily into bodybuilding (pretty much solid from 15 to 22), everyone used to eat popcorn without anything on. Very low fat (if not zero fat) and plenty of carbs if you need some energy. Don't pig out though unless you're pretty active.
  • pjmaybe 20 Jan 2005 09:21:03 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Agreed - they're like eating an entire packet of potassium!

Worse still are the "sweet" ones.

Peej
  • ssuellid 20 Jan 2005 09:22:45 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Peej, most seeds have a very high fat content. Its how they work - plant needs energy to grow.

Snacker jacks are very low in saturated fats which is why they are recommended on many diets.

Edited by ssuellid at 09:23:05 20-01-2005
  • pjmaybe 20 Jan 2005 09:25:36 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmmm could be - just looking on the side of a pack of rice crackers I've got at work though...

Per cracker : 45 cals
    4 crackers 180 cals
    Pack of crisps : 179 cals (depending on what flavour you go for)

The munchy seeds I've got at work (weird mix of sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds coated in this stuff that tastes a bit like marmite) work out at around 25 cals a gram...

Not that I'm turning into EG's answer to Bridget Jones or anything, I'm just morbidly interested in what "healthy" food usually ends up meaning with regards to fat and sugar content.

Peej
  • ssuellid 20 Jan 2005 09:26:59 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saturated fats peej are the main concern. Sunflower seeds are 73% fat - 12% of which is saturated.

Edited by ssuellid at 09:37:39 20-01-2005
  • Deleted user 20 January 2005 09:40:57
    ssuellid wrote:
    Saturated fats peej are the main concern.

I was told that pretty much anything with more than 2grams of SATURATED fat is no good for you if you're on a diet, but the less obviously, the better... So stuff that's like under 1g is 'good' diet-wise. Stuff with this low amount of saturated fat generally also means it's low calorie too, so like Ssue said, the saturated fats are the main thing to look at.

Obviously, watch out for high salt too.. As it's not good for you. Trouble is, salt is a 'natural flavour enhancer' so food with more salt in 'tastes better'... Therefore, we LIKE salty food, or sugary food.

But if you're on a diet, you can't have it, which is why dieting is hard work...

There are no 'short cuts' to dieting or weight loss... You either consume less energy, or burn more of it off (yes, this means exercise!)...

Peej is on the right track though, go to holland and barrats and buy som eof that mixed nuts stuff... it's good for 'taking the edge off' your hunger...

/might go get some too... what's the brand peej?
  • mentat 20 Jan 2005 09:42:51 5,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Saturated fats peej are the main concern. Sunflower seeds are 73% fat - 12% of which is saturated.

Edited by ssuellid at 09:37:39 20-01-2005

Yup - calories aren't as important as the sat fat content.

I want to try and find cheap alternatives to snacks too - it sounds like the popcorn and the pita crisps are probably the way to go, they can't cost much to make at all.

Since i've never made popcorn - do you have to do anything to get the sugar or salt (whichever you fancy) to stick to it rather than ending up on the bottom of the dish?
  • pjmaybe 20 Jan 2005 09:47:54 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Munchy Seeds

Bloody nice as a crunchy topping to shepherd's pie too...

Djini's right though - there are no short cuts to losing weight, and tbh you're only going to achieve it if you really seriously balance out what you eat and how you exercise because merely cutting down on your calorie intake ain't going to do the job long term...

Saturated fats though - yep you're right Ssuellid - definitely important to check that, and salt content...

The jordans things

Peej
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous