Game Prices - Beware the future

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • neil74 14 Mar 2013 09:35:40 2,306 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Playstation store Tomb Raider £49, I paid £33 in store. Crysis 3 £59!!! In store £39, I could go on……

I for one really hope that like the PS4 that the next 360 sticks to physical media otherwise they will be free to charge us what they want. Personally other than the my real favourite AAA games there is no way I would pay £60 for a game so in the last 2 years I would probably only have bought Halo 4, Mass Effect 3 and Tomb Raider. I know the free games given by PS+ are encouraging but overall the prices of ‘on-demand’ games does worry me.
  • Buztafen 14 Mar 2013 09:37:00 16,477 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SNES games were £60. Just saying.
  • THFourteen 14 Mar 2013 09:37:26 34,265 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i paid 69p for angry birds

there is the future
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Mar 2013 10:05:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most publishers can't wait to move to download only. Higher prices and limited trade-in potential.
    It's only the customer that suffers, and they don't really care about then.
  • elhozzo 14 Mar 2013 10:06:00 332 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Playstation Store : Darksiders is 3.19, Darksiders 2 is 7.99, currently PoP Sands of Time is 5.39 (with Plus discount)

New games, mugs game ... but if the OP's point was that physical media will save us for high prices, I think App Store, Stream etc will help out ...

As Rob writes, limited trade ins .. so more 'new' copies sold, so lower prices (as higher volumes sold)

Edited by elhozzo at 10:07:10 14-03-2013
  • Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 10:10:03 6,617 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I ever feel something is over-priced I just wont buy it. If the prices don't come down then stuff it. It's actually quite easy to be put off playing a game that seems unreasonably priced and i'm sure others will feel the same. If developers honestly think their sales will not be affected by price hikes, they're living in a fantasy.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• mcmonkeyplc 14 Mar 2013 10:12:30 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you think something is over priced then it is and you don't buy it unless you NEED it. It's that simple and it applies to everything.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• disusedgenius 14 Mar 2013 10:16:39 5,528 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just buy a PC and wait for the online store sales.
  • Alastair 14 Mar 2013 10:18:49 16,285 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    If you think something is over priced then it is and you don't buy it unless you NEED it. It's that simple and it applies to everything.
    Wise words mate!
  • Gambit1977 14 Mar 2013 10:20:36 10,382 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The publishers set their prices. They are ridiculously high to keep the bricks and mortar shops, these publishers bread and butter, happy.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2013 10:22:08
    I think the range of options somehow makes them charge more through direct channels. It's as if they know those using PSN to buy games are stupid enough to pay those prices, because otherwise they wouldn't even be there. I don't think it's any indication of what it would be like if there were no other options.

This idea that big bad corporations don't care about consumers is childish nonsense. OK, they don't "care" as such, but they will certainly be aware that lower prices will mean more sales, and while things may start off expensive to capitalise on those who simply have to have things, prices will drop to increase sales ultimately.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Mar 2013 10:22:11 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gambit1977 You think publishers want middle men taking a cut of their money?

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 10:22:36 14-03-2013

• spindle9988 14 Mar 2013 10:24:42 3,660 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am tempted to pay 42.00 for wrath of the white witch. Im still a bit scared to tho, havent paid that much for a game in ages
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Mar 2013 10:24:57 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most companies spend a good proportion of time finding out what they should charge. It's a persons job to set the price and as Kalel says it's not that they don't care.

My job

• Moot_Point 14 Mar 2013 10:25:49 4,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    i paid 69p for angry birds

there is the future
    I got the HD version free! :p

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Mr-Brett 14 Mar 2013 10:27:32 12,878 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When games are download only (which won't happen next gen the new xbox has a BD drive and will use it for games) then pricing will be a big issue but it's almost impossible to say what the prices will be like. I expect it'll largely be decided by how the pricing goes with next gen downloads but you can't base it current prices, we're still in the early stages of the transition.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Gambit1977 14 Mar 2013 10:27:48 10,382 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc you think the higher percentage buy online in the OS stores, or on amazon/in tesco?
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Mar 2013 10:38:05 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc you think the higher percentage buy online in the OS stores, or on amazon/in tesco?
    Obviously most people buy on Amazon/Tesco etc...but as Kalel said the publishers own digital distribution is just taking advantage of people that don't know better.

If no one bought the games on the publishers store then they'd cut the prices but they know most of their sales come from other outlets so they just take advantage of those that don't know better or those that are impatient.

They'd argue that they are charging a premium for "instant access".

• Gambit1977 14 Mar 2013 10:48:21 10,382 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc true, but surely once digital only, the could in no way justify those prices or maintain their own business.

For a start, digital only means pre-orders become obsolete. Not being able to trade-in also means less risk taking. If you're stuck with game A you need to be damned sure game A reviews well.

The pricing strategy they have in place at the mo is unsustainable. Needless to say digital only is not going to happen any time soon anyway. Why would retailers only want to stock joypads after all?
  • bad09 14 Mar 2013 11:11:23 6,206 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Just buy a PC and wait for the online store sales.
    Thread over in one sentence. :)

Consoles games are pricey, always have been even when they switched to CD over expensive cartridges the price was still pretty high. Computers will always be cheaper, games were cheaper before consoles came along and are still cheaper on anything that isn't a console.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Mar 2013 11:17:43 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc true, but surely once digital only, the could in no way justify those prices or maintain their own business.

For a start, digital only means pre-orders become obsolete. Not being able to trade-in also means less risk taking. If you're stuck with game A you need to be damned sure game A reviews well.

The pricing strategy they have in place at the moment is unsustainable. Needless to say digital only is not going to happen any time soon anyway. Why would retailers only want to stock joypads after all?
    Once they go digital only they know they'd get shafted by charging those prices. They know it's not sustainable if that's the only source of sale/revenue cause no one in their right minds would buy a game that costs too much*.

Digital only should also make trial versions easier so you should be able to try a game before you buy it.

*Like I said before people value products differently

Basically if they charge too much they are going to get screwed because people won't buy their products.

• mcmonkeyplc 14 Mar 2013 11:18:58 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh I just realised the OP was talking about the PS store.

Xbox live on demand is currently having a sale, I just bought RE6 for £9....

• Deleted user 14 March 2013 11:24:14
    I'll get shouted down for saying this (I always do), but I honestly think Steam provides a fairly accurate glimpse into the future in this respect.

If you want a game when it's released then you'll pay a premium for that, but you will definitely see a price drop and eventually things like sales and bundle deals in the not too distant future. I"m quite certain this is the basic model that digital game distribution will follow in the future.
  • SomaticSense 14 Mar 2013 11:38:39 8,983 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    The publishers set their prices. They are ridiculously high to keep the bricks and mortar shops, these publishers bread and butter, happy.
    Once it all goes digital only we'll see what bullshit that theory really is. We've been fed that tripe for too long now, you'd have to be pretty naive to really believe it.

For starters, if that really is the reason for such a price inflation, then how are Sony able to give such extreme offers or even free games without getting similar grief from the retail outlets? The same potential for loss of profit exists.

Also, these stores need the publishers/manufacturers just as much as vice versa. Sony/MS could theoretically start selling all their consoles and peripherals through their own sites as soon as this Xmas if really wanted to, thus cutting out the middle man and exponentially increasing their overall revenue. They owe the bricks n mortar retail sector nothing, especially when the gaming industry is already pissed off by the second-hand market profiteering.
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Mar 2013 11:42:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The issue is that when the consoles switch to download only, there is no longer any competition with retailers.

Steam has competition, publishers don't have to use it. But on a console that competition is gone.
  • Widge Moderator 14 Mar 2013 11:45:24 13,728 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haven't the PSVita digital prices been rather reasonable?

Also: PSN+. £40 or so for a nice wadge of games per year.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• imamazed 14 Mar 2013 11:46:05 5,902 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    is wadge a word?? bloody should be if not
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Mar 2013 11:46:21 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Widge Yes, but they have to compete with non-digital retailers for full priced games.
  • SomaticSense 14 Mar 2013 11:46:54 8,983 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    The issue is that when the consoles switch to download only, there is no longer any competition with retailers.

Steam has competition, publishers don't have to use it. But on a console that competition is gone.
    Exactly.

Name one example of a company holding a monopoly offering it's services cheaper than what came before. Supply and Demand theory only goes so far.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous