Silent Hill 4 or Onimusha 4...?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pacrifice 13 Mar 2013 14:01:22 1,035 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What should I play first?

I love survival horror. I love hack and slash.

Do I play Silent, nice long burner on this cold day or, Onimusha which I'm sure has a lengthy campaign (two discs) with fun boss fights.
  • Roddles 13 Mar 2013 14:04:50 1,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Personally I prefer Gaviscon to Bicycles.
  • JoeGBallad 13 Mar 2013 14:11:10 383 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I heard Onimusha 4 was a bit guff compared to the first three. I also heard that Silent Hill 4 was a bit guff compared to the first three.

Therefore, I'm going to have to go with secret option 3: Yakuza.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Murbal 13 Mar 2013 14:16:25 21,920 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JoeGBallad Yakuza 4?
  • pacrifice 13 Mar 2013 14:31:27 1,035 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man, I wish they'd released Project Zero 4 on the ps2, I want a story like that.
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Mar 2013 14:34:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Room's fine providing you don't think of it as a Silent Hill game. Apart from the unkillable ghost things. They fucking suck.
  • DFawkes 13 Mar 2013 14:37:21 22,581 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite enjoyed both of those games. In fact 4 is my favourite Silent Hill, despite it being clear at some points it wasn't originally intended as a Silent Hill game. So that would probably edge it for me.

Those 2 are certainly rather strange choices - both feel more like spin-offs than sequels. Good ones, but clearly developed to feel different to the others in their series'.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Cappy 13 Mar 2013 14:56:57 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The Room's fine providing you don't think of it as a Silent Hill game. Apart from the unkillable ghost things. They fucking suck.
    I don't mind them myself, it makes a change from smacking everything down with a golf club. Actually having to avoid some enemies gives the game something more like a survival horror character.

There are ways of dealing with the ghosts anyway.
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Mar 2013 15:01:47 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I seem to remember you had to pin them to the floor with something, didn't you? It's all lost in the mists of time.
  • Cappy 13 Mar 2013 15:16:16 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, sacred daggers.

In hindsight, it's somewhat similar to the problem Resident Evil Remake presented you with in the form of the Crimson Heads.

You have an enemy with the potential to cause great nuisance in the long term and a limited means to deal with them at your disposal. In Resident Evil it was a supply of Kerosine that was so limited you had to make hard choices. Here it's a limited supply of daggers, though here we have an additional layer of management since we can unpin one ghost and subdue another with the same dagger.

It's a puzzle in itself to identify the real nasty ones who'll follow you around attacking violently and keep them pinned for the whole game, others ghosts can be pinned and unpinned when you need a dagger or you're done traversing their haunt.

Of course with most games being corridors these days this sort of gameplay is totally defunct and dead. They got rid of that backtracking some people were complaining about, but what a heavy price we paid.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next