STARCRAFT 2 - HOTS retail disc install

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • FortysixterUK 12 Mar 2013 13:48:43 380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just took delivery of my retail edition of SC2 HOTS and went to install it after entering my key code on my Battlenet account.
    Instead of installing from the disc, the game disc launches an online downloader and then downloads it from the Blizz website.

I popped over to the official SC2 forums where this was being discussed in the tech support section. It appears the only thing the retail disc has is a shortcut file to send you to the online download service, the rest of the dvd
    (7.8 Gb) is just a fake file to fill the disc up.

Blizz tech support said that the game is only avaialbale to download, and suggested once downloaded, you save it you a USB stick for future installs.
    They also said if you have been keeping SC2 updated with the patches the game is already installed regardless !

So, just so you are aware dear retail disc buyer, there is nothing on the game disc, you are just buying the install code.

Whilst I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, not actually "owning" a physical copy of it is a tad galling. I'll back up my entire install to DVD's or some such I think.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2013 13:52:18 31,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Welcome to five years ago :-)
  • ZuluHero 12 Mar 2013 13:55:56 3,659 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty much the norm for Blizzard Games (of late) :)
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 13:57:43
    Even if the disc did have an installer on its more than likely you'd be downloading an equivalent sized patch before you could run it anyway.
  • graysonavich 12 Mar 2013 13:59:24 6,802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Games like these change so much after a week of release you're practically downloading a new game anyway.
  • disusedgenius 12 Mar 2013 14:02:55 5,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At least, if you've kept the old game up to date, it's not much of a download.
  • thebuzzard 13 Mar 2013 09:46:48 12 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Games on DVD how quaint.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next