"4K" Ultra High Def TVs Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• monkman76 12 Mar 2013 12:04:31 4,712 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Agree with both sides here - 4K will no doubt just become the norm. But surely at some stage everyone will realise that we're past the tipping point resolution-wise. I mean at sensible viewing distances there will surely be zero difference in practice between 4K and 8K. They'll have to come up with something new other than resolution surely to push new sets.
  • kalel 12 Mar 2013 12:07:30 88,336 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think 4K is probably the last time this particular trick will work. People have seen and liked things like Retina screens and they know that there's better than HD possible, but 4K will probably be the straw the breaks the camel's back. I doubt at consumer level 8K will have any impact, although it might do at B2B level for really big screens.
  • Benno 12 Mar 2013 12:13:02 10,001 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Considering 1080p is going to be the norm for the next generation I dont see me investing in a 4k TV for at least 5 years. Probably around the time the next gen consoles start to really age.

I imagine PC games will be running on those resolutions as standard, and I will splurge my coin on a brand spanking new gaming PC and a 4k res projector.
  • RedSparrows 12 Mar 2013 12:15:29 23,231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Not sure on the push for 4k considering 8k is only 2 years behind (judging by the Japanese government estimates).
    Applicable to all tech ever!
  • kalel 12 Mar 2013 12:16:00 88,336 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Considering Sony are already selling 4K TVs it seems odd they didn't have the PS4 as a 4K source. Perhaps the cost would have just been too prohibitive and they didn't want to make the same mistake as last time.
  • Latin 12 Mar 2013 12:23:41 3,778 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Save it for the PS5... If 4k is only really mainstream in 4/5 years, it makes no sense to include that functionality for the PS4, which will be targeted towards to mainstream from launch. How many people even know what 4k TVs are!?
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Mar 2013 12:38:14 11,332 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Considering Sony are already selling 4K TVs it seems odd they didn't have the PS4 as a 4K source. Perhaps the cost would have just been too prohibitive and they didn't want to make the same mistake as last time.
    It is a 4k source, just not for games.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• kalel 12 Mar 2013 12:40:25 88,336 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What is it a source for?
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 12:41:23
    Fabled movie service.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2013 12:42:00 33,810 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    4k tvs
  • kalel 12 Mar 2013 12:43:20 88,336 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Fabled movie service.
    As in a physical format, or streaming?

If it's the latter, then lol. And if it's the former...lol.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 12:45:17
    Aye

Molyneux said that typical 4K movies would be "100 gigabytes and plus" depending on length, and added that file size and average broadband speeds are "challenges that we have to work through... we've got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience."
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 12:48:32
    Not that Molyneux.
  • Fake_Blood 12 Mar 2013 12:51:17 4,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I need to put my glasses on to see 1080p so not really excited about 4k.
  • Dougs 12 Mar 2013 13:14:04 68,372 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Aye

Molyneux said that typical 4K movies would be "100 gigabytes and plus" depending on length, and added that file size and average broadband speeds are "challenges that we have to work through... we've got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience."
    Multi-layer BDs are now being used though, so not out of the realms of possibility for physical media at least.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Mar 2013 13:15:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    4k streaming is impossible for the vast vast majority of Internet connections. Even in a few years
  • SpaceDave3000 12 Mar 2013 13:51:24 78,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's no reason they shouldn't use compression for stuff when it gets to that sort of size, it's just creating an artificial dependence on physical media.

Within days of the first releases there will be 8 or 9gb rips of 4k movies with the tiniest degradation in visual and sound quality.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:57:19 12-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Psychotext 12 Mar 2013 14:32:08 54,391 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They will be: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/sonys-new-compression-tech-could-mean-4k-content-is-closer-than-you-think/
  • Lukus 12 Mar 2013 14:35:34 19,246 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Lukus

There is an effective pixel count, just that it isn't so obvious.

The film grain molecules undergo a chemical reaction to the coloured light based on duration of exposure. Different film speeds have different molecule sizes as a chemical requirement to react fast enough to a shorter exposures, this inversely works against colour sensitivity, granularity and molecule size, so each film type chosen has competing trade offs. 24 frames has been the sample rate we associate with cinema, so has been a constant that has meant other tradeoffs have taken place. Digital on the other hand, can shoot at 60fps and still be post processed to produce a hybrid of cinematic 24p, that has both clarity and motionblur.
    As always you're over complicating a basic point and saying nothing of any real use.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 14:51:04
    Lukus wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @Lukus

The film grain molecules undergo a chemical reaction to the coloured light based on duration of exposure. Different film speeds have different molecule sizes as a chemical requirement to react fast enough to a shorter exposures, this inversely works against colour sensitivity, granularity and molecule size, so each film type chosen has competing trade offs. 24 frames has been the sample rate we associate with cinema, so has been a constant that has meant other tradeoffs have taken place. Digital on the other hand, can shoot at 60fps and still be post processed to produce a hybrid of cinematic 24p, that has both clarity and motionblur.
    As always you're over complicating a basic point and saying nothing of any real use.
    No. Actually it is basic A-level stuff, I was correcting your false statement, so it wouldn't be perpetuated by others.

I'm in no way surprised you don't understand ;)
  • LeoliansBro 12 Mar 2013 14:52:26 44,503 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh wow, I hadn't realised vizzini was back with a new flavour of crazy!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RobTheBuilder 12 Mar 2013 14:53:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini seriously viz, and no insult intended, but you really need to learn which part of your points are important. You don't need so much crazy detail to make the point.

If you'd have made that post in three short sentences:

A. It would have been clearer
    B. more people would read it and respond to the point
    C. People would stop having a go at you for including way way way too much detail.
  • monkman76 12 Mar 2013 14:54:14 4,712 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @Lukus

I love how the first half of that paragraph is all about resolution, then halfway through we switch to frame rate with nary a backwards glance!

Edited by monkman76 at 14:54:31 12-03-2013
  • nickthegun 12 Mar 2013 14:54:22 60,414 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Haha. 'If you understood anything about molecular physics you would get it. But you dont. Ive watched people convert molecules into pixels in my degree'
    What do I win?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 14:55:50
    nickthegun wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Haha. 'If you understood anything about molecular physics you would get it. But you dont. Ive watched people convert molecules into pixels in my degree'
    What do I win?
    A gentle kiss on the lips from Kaz Hirai.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Mar 2013 14:57:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @meme A Cell chip production facility, I hear there's one going spare
  • nickthegun 12 Mar 2013 14:57:49 60,414 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where he will mickey finn me and replace my brain with a CELL chip.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 15:00:00
    Soon you too will start going on about the molecular reactions of film strips to answer a generalised question no-one really cared about all that much in the first place.
  • Lukus 12 Mar 2013 15:06:59 19,246 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @Lukus

No. Actually it is basic A-level stuff, I was correcting your false statement, so it wouldn't be perpetuated by others.

I'm in no way surprised you don't understand ;)
    You're an insufferable bellend, digitally and analogously.

Paintings & Photographs

• Gambit1977 12 Mar 2013 16:01:27 10,159 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    What do I win?
    A cuddle from Vizzini
  • Page

of 9 First / Last