Future releases - Not many Page 3

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Next
  • JayG 13 Mar 2013 12:06:38 869 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sony Europe really ain't doing a lot to help themselves either. The Youtube app isn't available in a lot of Countrys. Playstation Mobile isn't available in most Countrys, and yet that was their big free games promotion. Add to that the fact that in Europe we have no idea when most localised games will actually be available, and they are often much more expensive that in the US, it does make me wonder how clueless the personal who work there are. Sony is arrogant, they assume that they will always be the platform of choice here so they make little effort in the knowledge that they already have that user base.

    Yet customers can see that in the US they get free PSN vouchers, free PSP games and tend to have better prices. I think that the Vita is a great device. I'm happy I got one. But it hasn't made me a fan of Sony.
  • Kay 13 Mar 2013 12:19:03 17,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It feels to me like a Vita mkII could well be the thing to give this a bit of a new lease of life. Every time I come close to buying one, the price and the memory card issue put me off again.

    A smaller, cheaper revision that takes SD cards would quickly get me on board.
    It honestly doesn't need a revision - and why would Sony bother if the first one failed anyway? The device is pretty much perfect the way it is, it's only the lack of onboard storage and the stupid memory card prices that seem to put people off.

    I'm sure there are good enough deals around now anyway (or at least, there should be).
    Quite a heavy amount of self-contradiction/ownage here. It does need a revision, because the first one failed.

    A revision would mean cheaper more efficient manufacture, resulting in a much lower price point, and would also give them the opportunity to address the other issues such as onboard storage/memory card and such.

    This strategy has worked for literally every other console Sony have released. It is now standard, and I'm quite certain a revised cheaper Vita is something we can expect for exactly the same reasons.

    If it was pretty much perfect, we'd all have one.
    But you don't all have one because of the price and memory card issue - that's the thing that needs revising, not the device itself.

    And - as this thread is pointing out - there doesn't seem to be much support for the console, so why would Sony want to release a revision for a console that most people seem to agree was DOA anyway? Not saying that it won't happen, just that it's a bit of an odd thing to look forward to when there are no obvious hardware features missing from the console.
    And the price gets revised by creating a cheaper to manufacture version. How are you not seeing this?
    Not necessarily, no. Remember the PSP Go?

    Most people don't have a problem with the price of the console, only the price of the memory cards.
  • crisotunity 13 Mar 2013 12:27:22 149 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Manufacturing refinements are occuring on an on-going basis - most will remain invisible to the consumer.

    If I knew the answer to what should happen next, I would be a milionnaire :-)
    - Sony could fiddle with the design and produce a cheaper Vita MkII quickly. It's a big gamble. Sony would move more units and get an attractive user base on developers' maps (profit margins be damned at this point), but it would be the last throw of the dice.

    - Or they could produce a Vita premium version = 32/64GB built in (+ capacity for extra mem card) with a mobile version of their excellent Sony Vegas video editing software so that you can hook up your NEX camera (Sony's one division doing extremely well right now) to your Vita seamlessly. This would go after the ipod touch/ipad mini crowd. But, it would require Sony to start thinking outside silos. In other words, it's a dream.

    - Or they could leave Vita well alone to be what it is: a well-built, niche product.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 13:00:46
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It feels to me like a Vita mkII could well be the thing to give this a bit of a new lease of life. Every time I come close to buying one, the price and the memory card issue put me off again.

    A smaller, cheaper revision that takes SD cards would quickly get me on board.
    It honestly doesn't need a revision - and why would Sony bother if the first one failed anyway? The device is pretty much perfect the way it is, it's only the lack of onboard storage and the stupid memory card prices that seem to put people off.

    I'm sure there are good enough deals around now anyway (or at least, there should be).
    Quite a heavy amount of self-contradiction/ownage here. It does need a revision, because the first one failed.

    A revision would mean cheaper more efficient manufacture, resulting in a much lower price point, and would also give them the opportunity to address the other issues such as onboard storage/memory card and such.

    This strategy has worked for literally every other console Sony have released. It is now standard, and I'm quite certain a revised cheaper Vita is something we can expect for exactly the same reasons.

    If it was pretty much perfect, we'd all have one.
    But you don't all have one because of the price and memory card issue - that's the thing that needs revising, not the device itself.

    And - as this thread is pointing out - there doesn't seem to be much support for the console, so why would Sony want to release a revision for a console that most people seem to agree was DOA anyway? Not saying that it won't happen, just that it's a bit of an odd thing to look forward to when there are no obvious hardware features missing from the console.
    And the price gets revised by creating a cheaper to manufacture version. How are you not seeing this?
    Not necessarily, no. Remember the PSP Go?

    Most people don't have a problem with the price of the console, only the price of the memory cards.
    No, not necessarily, but its certainly the driving factor in most console hardware revisions.

    And I think most people do have a problem with the price of the console. I certainly do.
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2013 16:29:46 3,965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Comments about what's going to shift hardware - I thought it was already starting to shift. Quadrupled sales in Japan after the price drop and I'm willing to bet Soul Sacrifice is going to shift a load of units too.

    IMO the future is very bright for the Vita.
    It'll be sub 20k again in a few weeks... and that's in Japan where it had a chance in the first place. Everywhere else it's completely dead.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-13-soul-sacrifice-launch-boosts-japanese-vita-sales-above-3ds

    Looks like I bet correctly. We'll see how long it lasts. The game looks so good, I'm wondering if it will have the same affect as Monster Hunter when that first came out....

    PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

  • H1ggyLTD 13 Mar 2013 16:56:39 1,942 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

    2. Improve the analog sticks. As it stands right now, they aren't quite as resistive as the 3DS's slider, which and feel like mini dual shocks, which is not good for a portable. They also need to figure out a way to make them pop out less because its annoying putting it in some sort of protective case.
    http://i.imgur.com/l2sJi.gif
  • elstoof 13 Mar 2013 17:28:17 8,312 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I don't see how the device itself could be improved on, from the size, weight, shape, controls etc its just about spot on.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 17:43:57
    Again, that's all great, but a more economic to manufacture version means a cheaper console, which means increased sales, which means increased support, which means more games, which means a more successful console.

    Or it can remain a very pretty white elephant.
  • Kay 13 Mar 2013 18:01:38 17,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

    2. Improve the analog sticks. As it stands right now, they aren't quite as resistive as the 3DS's slider, which and feel like mini dual shocks, which is not good for a portable. They also need to figure out a way to make them pop out less because its annoying putting it in some sort of protective case.
    http://i.imgur.com/l2sJi.gif
    I actually agree with this (despite earlier saying that the console was basically perfect) - although they work fine once you get used to them, the analogue sticks are a little small and twitchy when compared to the 3DS slider.

    It also doesn't help that they're quite low on the console - I sometimes find myself thinking they'd be better off swapping positions with the d-pad/buttons.

    Okay, so not quite perfect then. :p
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Mar 2013 18:06:42 1,942 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't get it.

    The slider is nothing more than a nub. On a par with the PSP nub, at best.

    The Vita has two full analogue sticks.

    How is that inferior in any way?
  • Kay 13 Mar 2013 18:15:39 17,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a nub, but it's still analogue. And much better than the one on the PSP, thanks to its size and positioning. Also it has more resistance, as JTN pointed out, which is why it feels more comfortable than the Vita sticks.
  • elstoof 13 Mar 2013 18:56:31 8,312 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If try want to fiddle with the innards, streamline the production or whack it all on one chip, that's all well and good. I don't see any room to improve the way it all works though.

    The 3DS nub is good, much better than the PSP's attempt - mainly because it's concave I think, lends itself to sliding around much more satisfactorily. Vita's sticks work just as well though, the domed shape makes tilting them about a breeze. And there's two of them, something that really didn't bother me on the 3DS initially but playing Persona and flicking the camera about makes a lot of sense.
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2013 19:59:03 3,965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    but playing Persona and flicking the camera about makes a lot of sense.
    Yeah, twin sticks have become fairly standard in gaming for the past decade. It was probably the most significant hardware feature of the Vita.

    PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

  • Psychotext 13 Mar 2013 20:18:43 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-13-soul-sacrifice-launch-boosts-japanese-vita-sales-above-3ds

    Looks like I bet correctly. We'll see how long it lasts. The game looks so good, I'm wondering if it will have the same affect as Monster Hunter when that first came out....
    Uhh... you should go and take a look at the Japanese chart thread, I said there that this would be good for a few weeks of bump but it's not going to save the console going forward.

    I'll be sub 30k in under a month and sub 20k soon after.
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Mar 2013 20:50:22 1,942 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Soul Sacrifice might not save the console, but the PS4 will.

    Everybody who buys a PS4 will want to buy a Vita.

    And that's going to be a lot of people.
  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 21:01:25 44,219 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Soul Sacrifice might not save the console, but the PS4 will.

    Everybody who buys a PS4 will want to buy a Vita.

    And that's going to be a lot of people.
    No, just no.

  • H1ggyLTD 13 Mar 2013 21:13:26 1,942 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice reasoning.
  • aros 15 Mar 2013 22:35:28 3,423 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loads of games have been getting announced lately. The release schedule looks amazing IMO with more doubtless to come. It's really an exciting time for Vita owners.
  • King_Edward 15 Mar 2013 22:40:35 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Like what? I see a few PC indie games getting ported. Some great games no doubt, but I don't see anything being made for Vita.

    I'm not, in truth, really paying attention though tbf.
  • aros 15 Mar 2013 22:47:56 3,423 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I much prefer the sticks to the 3DS slider tbh. The slider works better in certain games but is poor in fast games where direction must be changed quickly.
  • aros 15 Mar 2013 22:53:15 3,423 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Like what? I see a few PC indie games getting ported. Some great games no doubt, but I don't see anything being made for Vita.

    I'm not, in truth, really paying attention though tbf.
    Ports of PC indie titles are excellent if you don't have a gaming pc which I would be surprised if a large part of the Vita base does have. New AC, KZ, Tearaway, Sly, Soul Sacrifice. I'm of the opinion that one big game a month is plenty. How many new releases do you think th average person buys each month? In addition to the exciting PSN support which is showing signs of picking up.
  • aros 15 Mar 2013 22:56:18 3,423 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pretty shocked that people are still banging this particularly tired drum though when the Wii U is demonstrating what a real console with no games looks like.
  • H1ggyLTD 15 Mar 2013 22:57:06 1,942 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reckon that Pokemon figurine rumble game thing might save the WiiU.
  • aros 15 Mar 2013 23:02:54 3,423 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That does look awesome. If the figures get here in 2 blind bags it will be huge but it's a worry the actual game is only 10 because in terms of Nintendo prices you don't get much for 10. They should make sure it has at least 60 - 80 hours gameplay as the longer the kids are hooked on the game the more figures they will buy. I worry Nintendo will miss this obvious point and release a 6 hour game.
  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Next
Log in or register to reply