3DS is slowly evolving into the quirky machine the DS was.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • JinTypeNoir 11 Mar 2013 02:04:27 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I can speak for quite a few people, although the 3DS's software library is turning out great, one slightly irritating area is that it does not have the level of quirk and craziness the DS library did.

That's rapidly starting to change though. From the recent game announcements (cutesy 2D ninja platformer, sequel to a dungeon hack about saving the world by impregnating women, a Disney Animal Crossing and a sequel to a series about a woman who travels through abstract worlds via her fishing pole) to the utter bizarreness that the e-shop is starting to become. It was inevitable that the 3DS would find more of its quirk in downloadable than retail perhaps, because that's just how the market has change, but man....recently its been off the charts WEIRD.

By this, I speak of one of this week's releases and two of last week's releases.

Released last week, Mansion Percussion is a neighbor-irritating, wall-pounding apartment rhythm game simulation. I'm not exaggerating. That's what it is. You have moved into one of seven new apartments. The neighbors are doing weird things. You pound on the walls to relieve your stress and sometimes yell. As you do irritation bubbles float in from all sides and you can pop them. But seriously this game is bizarrrrrrre. On the first stage if you manage to raise your relaxation level above 100% alien clouds will open the apartment and transport you to their world. One stage takes place at night as you try to keep yourself sane while your neighbors over, below and to both sides are all having sex and moaning furiously (if you do well on this one, naked people fall from the ceiling at the end). Another stage is in the dystopian future with golden space buddhas and club music, and yet another is in a mushroom induced high state. Your neighbors do everything and anything. Replaying each stage is addictive as hell, as there's lots to figure out and play with.

Happy Ocean is an underwater aquarium game where you try to manage the lives of fish and sea creatures by talking to them, making friends and solving their problems. You earn currency to buy presents by doing good deeds and walking in the real world -- that's right the 3DS's pedometer is finally used in a game for something. It's like a cross between Seaman and Endless Ocean, except that the feel is like a massive soap opera involving sea life as you try to help sea creatures connect to their kids, find their true loves, go on adventures, master depression, conquer their fears and so on. It's packed with content and the dialogue is absolutely fucking hilarious.

On Wednesday, we have The Monsters Come Out on Fridays, which is a slow life sim staring a kid who lives in a town where huge Godzilla-like monsters attack the city every Friday and everyone just treats it like its the most normal thing in the world. "Oh, Thursday its to be rain and Friday the giant monster, I suppose we'll have to put up that camping trip, dear."

Hells yeah, bring on the quirk!

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 02:30:23 11-03-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Mar 2013 03:28:23 8,410 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Possibly in Japan.

In the UK it is still rather poor. Fire Emblem + Luigi is a huge improvement over other recent releases but it still has a long way to go.

Maybe in 12 months when about a quarter of the games you enjoyed this year get released I will agree. But so far in Europe it is still poor.

I still feel cheated by my 3DS purchase and think Nintendo ripped me off. I bought one at full price and so far it simply is not worth that money.
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Mar 2013 03:30:55 8,410 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and it is region locked. So in Europe it will never be as good as the DS was! Unless publishers and especially Nintendo vastly improve their European releases. Fire Emblem suggests they are not going to.
  • PenguinJim 11 Mar 2013 05:53:50 5,921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DS was great. Region lock means I can't consider a 3DS. Fuck off, 3DS. Fuck off and die. You're taking business away from region-free platforms.
  • Lukree 11 Mar 2013 06:16:40 168 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lately I have played more with 3DS, at last I finished Ocarina of Time.

For me it's all about "different games", as I have plenty of shooters in PC and X360 I tend to play something else with 3DS for a change. Somehow I cannot see myself playing Paper Mario or Professor Layton style games with PC.

Forthcoming releases, Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter look good, but would love a new Metroid or Advance Wars, though!
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 07:40:37
    Monster Hunter on a 3.5-inch screen? Hell yeah! Awesome.
  • DFawkes 11 Mar 2013 08:04:58 23,433 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love my 3DS. Tons of games to play, quite a few of which are quirky though probably no hidden gem type things so I can sort of see where you're coming from. There's certainly a decent library now though, with something for pretty much any taste :)

Not a lot of JRPGs though, which is a shame.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Murbs 11 Mar 2013 08:24:19 22,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm learning my lesson the hard way regarding handhelds - I'm better off with both. There's always something out on whichever one I don't have that I crave.

So yeah. Fire Emblem, Devil Suvivor Overclocked, Luigi, Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey incoming. How long have Japan had those though Jin? I understand localisation issues but at least with the DS we had the option of importing, certainly from the US that meant we didn't wait so long or didn't miss out at all on gems like Rocket Slime.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:56:03
    I'm better off with a smartphone which can replace both. Found it the hard way.
    Of course I don't mean ENTIRELY replace, but I am happy with what it can do.
  • RobTheBuilder 11 Mar 2013 11:12:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Oh and it is region locked. So in Europe it will never be as good as the DS was! Unless publishers and especially Nintendo vastly improve their European releases. Fire Emblem suggests they are not going to.
    This is what kills the 3DS for me. I bought a DS and imported Band Brothers. It took FIVE years to come out here. Without region free I wouldn't have bought or enjoyed my DS and PSP half as much.
  • caligari 11 Mar 2013 11:15:48 17,085 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've owned two 3DS consoles in the past, and I didn't realise that the thing was region-locked.

I feel dirty and deceived.
  • DFawkes 11 Mar 2013 11:25:16 23,433 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You think that's misleading? Just you wait until you find out about how much the game cards hold. It'll blow your mind.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• imamazed 11 Mar 2013 11:27:23 5,826 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    You think that's misleading? Just you wait until you find out about how much the game cards hold. It'll blow your mind.
    How much do the game carts hold?
  • DFawkes 11 Mar 2013 11:30:29 23,433 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let your eyes be opened!. I do love that thread an irrational amount, even if I do come off as a bit of a prat:)

Depends on the game though, basically. There's a list here. Almost on topic, it also lists games from different regions so you can see stuff we're missing out on.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:32:54 11-03-2013

• Raiko101 11 Mar 2013 12:11:25 6,465 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it all comes down to gaming tastes, as people either think it has a solid library or a near non-existant one. Personally, I love it. Ever since I bought it, it has been my first console of choice. I play it far more often than the other two consoles I have. The games on offer seem to be more like games and less like the 'experiences' that have become the mainstream these days.

It's helped having VC games and the Ambassador games. They do get you through periods of no releases. DS compatibility is also a major plus because there are still so many undiscovered gems i've yet to play.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 12:57:24
    I'd still have one if not for the eye rapingly low resolution. The fact that its region locked and there wasn't much coming out I wanted to play didn't help.
  • spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 13:10:04 27,417 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's that Shift game like? It looks rather interesting, a bit like Echochrome.

Crush3d looks interesting too.

You're definitely right that we're getting a lot more quirky/innovative games on the system, much like the DS did and the Wii. Long may it continue!

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:10:51 11-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Kay 11 Mar 2013 13:19:03 17,936 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    I'd still have one if not for the eye rapingly low resolution.
    That's just part of its charm though!

In all seriousness though, it's never really bothered me - and that's playing on an XL, after using a Vita. Probably because most games have some sort of AA when in 2D mode.
  • electrolite 26 Mar 2013 18:26:48 471 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kay

It bothered me when I had the original. For some reason couldn't get on with that at all. Now I'm playing on an XL and love it. I only play in 2D mind you.
  • JinTypeNoir 2 Apr 2013 07:21:15 4,392 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, The Monsters Come Out on Fridays is a charming and beautiful game, but it is geared toward people who don't mind paying for a short and beautiful experience. There is one thing you can do to kind of extend the play time, but its something to play obsessively for hours. Everything about this game is chill, adorable and relaxing. It seems like it was made to be soothing break in a busy day to soak up some nostalgic atmosphere.

I really really think the game could have been a masterpiece if it had offered many weeks or days to play through, because then it could play around with its fantastic premise. Without Mondays or Wednesdays, and the things that come around in a modern week, the Friday in this game doesn't get the context it could have had to be something really special. It takes place over Friday and Saturday, and can be won in 2 or 3 hours.

If you've played a lot of Japanese indie games, you know these story-based games that depend a lot on atmosphere are all the rage right now and I feel like its somewhat misguidingly aiming at those people when the creator of this series is known for creating similarly nostalgic pieces about kids in Japan that are more freeform and given over to traditional types of game collection and completion. They just have more content in them, period. Konami's DS game Houkago Shonen, or Afterschool Kid, was basically the standard-bearer for that type of game and this is definitely not as good as it, but I feel like its going for something different in the first place and where it tried to go is just not clear to me.

It was an absolutely lovely experience that I would have paid 3000 yen for let alone 800, but it does have the distinct whiff of something more ambitious that was cut down and is strangely discordant in places.

The Starship Damley, on the other hand...the less I say about that the better. The creator said that they want gamers to figure it out without any help or tutorials and sure enough, the first part of the game is a wild exercise. I was so confused. It was delicious. I felt like I had timewarped into a DOS game I found in my dad's desk drawer and had no idea how to play.

Things changed after that first segment, but I am not going to tell you how, why, how much or anything else. It may be important that I do not. It may end up saving the giraffes in the end. Oh, the giraffes.

Anyway, I think The Monsters Come Out On Fridays has no plans for localization, but Level 5 seems to be thinking about bringing over The Starship Damley. If you like old text adventures or old adventure games in general, and you enjoy tense horror games that are more about the atmosphere than anything else, you may get a real kick out of it, or you may not. I cannot tell you; it wouldn't be ethical. Don't take this to mean it has some awe-inspiring awesome story that changes your life. I don't think it does. I don't know that it doesn't. It doesn't know that I don't know, right?

If you have the funds and the mood to just try something you might like, it could be a great experience for you. Or not. Or it could just be a really well-rendered 3D carrot. Or not.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next