Led Zeppelin or The Beatles? Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 10 Mar 2013 15:12:22 17,426 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dunno, I still listen to Revolver and Rubber Soul every now and again.
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 15:33:34 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Chopsen I'm just speculating but I wouldn't be surprised if it started with a bunch of young lads who had no idea any of them would every be this famous, getting together and sharing drugs and tunes or maybe just some chord progressions and lyric ideas. In my experience, this is how most decent musicians work.

Several iterations and years later there's a Led Zep tune called Dazed and Confused. Years later from that, Page is legally advised to say he'd never heard Holmes' version, which may or may not be the case. Either way, and with or without drugs, it may not have been a significant event and Page himself may not be able to trace the origin of Dazed back to Holmes.

Like I said though, just speculation. Maybe it was as sneaky and malicious as some other people make out.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Mr_Sleep 10 Mar 2013 15:49:08 16,922 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The thing is, Led Zeppelin were in essence a super group, they knew blues music very well, I seem to recall that Page and Plant both had excellent imported record collections and they both played with other bands who respected where the music came from.

The larger question is who is to blame. Peter Grant is such a large influence in the band that I firmly believe he is part of why they never credited anything so they could make maximum profit.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 15:57:47
    crispyduckman wrote:
    @Chopsen I'm just speculating but I wouldn't be surprised if it started with a bunch of young lads who had no idea any of them would every be this famous, getting together and sharing drugs and tunes or maybe just some chord progressions and lyric ideas. In my experience, this is how most decent musicians work.

Several iterations and years later there's a Led Zep tune called Dazed and Confused. Years later from that, Page is legally advised to say he'd never heard Holmes' version, which may or may not be the case. Either way, and with or without drugs, it may not have been a significant event and Page himself may not be able to trace the origin of Dazed back to Holmes.

Like I said though, just speculation. Maybe it was as sneaky and malicious as some other people make out.

You need to know your history better :)

Page watched Holmes perform dazed and confused live in new York and took the intro note for note, the only thing they changed was the lyrics.

Dazed and confused their only full rip off.

Most other tracks samples but not just takes the whole beat.
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 16:33:57 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:

You need to know your history better :)

Page watched Holmes perform dazed and confused live in new York and took the intro note for note, the only thing they changed was the lyrics.

Dazed and confused their only full rip off.

Most other tracks samples but not just takes the whole beat.
    I'm not really into the history at all (although I'm surprised by how sure you are of the facts you state). I'm just speculating and playing devil's advocate. However, as someone who plays Dazed it's an incredibly simple tune. You could easily accidentally copy the main riff exactly after hearing it somewhere else. Although, at least one member of the Yarbirds didn't do this.

Whether Page ripped it off or not, Holmes' version definitely didn't have 10-30 mins of JPJ's earth shattering bass, Page's crazy bowed lead, Plant's screeching vocals or Bonham's general nuttery. And let's be frank, without all four of those things, the song is a completely different beast (and, some might say, a bit crap).

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 16:39:49
    Wait, are you saying led zeppelin dazed and confused is crap? o_O

It is amazing, stolen or not.

My history is based on several books read where led zeppelin admit to seeing and using Holmes song but changing the lyrics etc.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 16:41:52
    Apples or cats?
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 17:00:33 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Wait, are you saying led zeppelin dazed and confused is crap? o_O
    No, I think he's saying it's a bit crap when you remove the elements Plant, Page, Bonham and Jones added to it.
    This. Although I'm being flippant. I actually quite like Holmes' version too.

• crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 17:10:47 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Back on topic (although the topic does suck balls), surely even die hard Zep fans have to get a kick from The Dirty Mac's "Yer Blues"?

http://youtu.be/HD3OJkPGW6s

God knows what die hard Beatles fans make of it though.

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 17:47:30
    Although the topic sucks balls?

I guess that is the first thing that comes into your head, sucking big balls.

The topic was comparing the two most popular bands of all time after reading the BBC poll for best all time band.

If you like I could start a topic about who has fucked your mother on mothers day?
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 17:54:58
    Slight ott but it does bore me all the fucking losers on this forum playing big man all the time when they little bitches in life.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 18:04:35
    Wow I can be aggressive. <3
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 18:06:21 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pepsipop Sorry, I actually thought your original post was fine. I was referring to the topic which the thread turned into - i.e. trying to objectively compare bands.

Also, it's worth noting that I use language like sucking balls very casually.

• crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 18:06:53 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We cool ya bru?

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 18:12:33
    We very cool, like I said I'm way too aggressive from previous abuse suffered.
  • Maturin 10 Mar 2013 18:23:53 2,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Going back to Dazed for a moment, that was a song that Page was playing before Led Zeppelin. I believe it was called I'm Confused when he was doing it with The Yardbirds. I'm not arguing whether he got the riff from Holmes, merely that quite a lot of the stuff on the first (and the second to some extent) album is either them improvising on blues material they had in common or stuff Page already had before the band got together.

It was only really on the third album that Plant got going with more lyrics and they really starting bringing in more new material. A surprising number of the lyrics on the first two albums are actually by Page.

I've always been fascinated by their story. Especially how two very seasoned professional musicians found a pub singer and his drummer mate and made something magical. And crikey the drummer mate of Plant's they found was (imho) the best drummer I've ever heard. If Terry Reid had been up for Led Zep, instead of telling Page he didn't fancy it and to check out some guy he'd seen in Birmingham called Robert Plant, they wouldn't have had Bonzo either.

Edited by Maturin at 18:24:55 10-03-2013
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 18:29:32
    Steal music or not their original music is actually most of my favourite led zeppelin stuff.

Easily my number one is 'i can't quit you baby' from three. Original and perfect.
  • morriss 10 Mar 2013 18:33:40 70,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are we really comparing a band who individually and collectively have almost single handedly shaped popular music over the last 50 years to Led fucking Zeppelin.

don't get me wrong, I've got Zep 1, II, III Physical Graffiti but there really is no comparison. None. Zero.
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 18:43:40 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Maturin Yeah, rock n roll stories can be pretty amazing. I'm a massive Peter Green fan and met him a few years back. Very weird feeling.

Buckethead is my favourite modern guitarist/musician and his story is bananas. Buckethead Story

Buckethead - Soothsayer

Fleetwood Mac - Man of the World

Edited by crispyduckman at 18:46:06 10-03-2013

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 18:44:41
    Yeah and we can all agree pop music is generally shit, thanks for your input. :).

Thank you Beatles for Britney spears and Justin beiber. Man the Beatles really shaped pop well. :p.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 10 Mar 2013 18:47:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dylan could take on the Beatles and come away with the win
  • RedSparrows 10 Mar 2013 18:53:28 22,241 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /facedesk
  • Chopsen 10 Mar 2013 18:57:07 15,834 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can easily compare the two. Who had the tallest drummer? Which band has the most Northenly average latitude of all their birthplaces? Which band played live without wearing shoes most often? These are important comparisons to make.
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 18:58:04 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Are we really comparing a band who individually and collectively have almost single handedly shaped popular music over the last 50 years to Led fucking Zeppelin.

don't get me wrong, I've got Zep 1, II, III Physical Graffiti but there really is no comparison. None. Zero.
    Not really comparing. It was a poll. So it's saying most Radio 2 listeners prefer Zep.

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 19:02:57
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Dylan could take on the Beatles and come away with the win
    Love Dylan, saw him last year.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 10 Mar 2013 19:04:59 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really lucky.
  • morriss 10 Mar 2013 19:05:07 70,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Not really comparing. It was a poll. So it's saying most Radio 2 listeners prefer Zep.
    Oh ok, my bad. Yeah, fair enough if people prefer Zeppelin. Well it's not really...:)
  • crispyduckman 10 Mar 2013 19:10:06 1,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm sure I once heard a story about Joe Perry turning up for a recording session high as a kite and rocking a minigun, which he proceeded to fire off indoors. If true, that definitely puts Aerosmith in contention for greatest rock band ever in my book. It's truly a shame that the entire band was killed in a plane crash after Get a Grip so they could never release anything again.

• Deleted user 10 March 2013 19:13:40
    Fires a Gatlin gun in a studio? Yeah sounds really plausible.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last