Tropes vs. Women in Video Games Page 15

• Page

of 102 First / Last

• JinTypeNoir 18 Nov 2013 19:12:18 4,386 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This time it's Ms. Male Character, and I'm afraid it had me raging right from the start. Here we go again:

• MetalDog 18 Nov 2013 19:31:02 23,697 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Raging because the designer of Pac Man made a statement about women that makes him sound like a fucking retard and you're upset with him?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• CosmicFuzz 18 Nov 2013 19:57:52 24,360 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, that really is a terrible statement he said :D

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• CosmicFuzz 18 Nov 2013 20:03:41 24,360 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just skimmed through it quickly, but is it fair to say that the problem she's talking about is female videogame characters just being imitations of the male characters (i.e. Ms Pac-Man from Pac-Man)? I can see her point, in that it wasn't a great representation of women, although I suppose it all comes from 70s/80s games and not modern stuff?

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Daniel_Spencer 18 Nov 2013 20:12:59 84 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like her videos. They're really good introductions to foundations of feminist views.
  • Bremenacht 18 Nov 2013 20:21:45 18,275 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    That's what PazJohnMitch wrote. Is he wrong?
    The double standard is staggering. Anyway...

The sequence in Far Cry 3 if I remember correctly shows the protagonist getting drugged and then mounted by a priestess.
    I played it recently. So you have this ultimate badass who can kill everything and everyone being sat on by a priestess with her tits out and he clearly enjoys it (going back for more later), and that's rape? Sorry, it's a ridiculous statement. No hint of distress. No hint of restraint. He's conscious (he can see her clearly for the important 'tits out' bit).

If you can't see the difference there, then the people create this sort of misogynist shit clearly know their target market well. The only reason it's not offensive is because it's normal.
  • kupocake 18 Nov 2013 20:29:59 125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz A lot of the examples are indie titles that just sort lazily rehashed the trope, or stuff like Mario that's set in its ways. She does call out Mass Effect's marketing among modern AAA (while praising the actual game).
  • Metalfish 18 Nov 2013 21:15:17 8,818 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ms 'Splosion man is probably a bad example, since it's a blatant homage/parody. Otherwise, her examples are fine though.

I'm finding these vids a bit slow more than anything, almost like she could be laying down a lot more in the time. Which is odd, 'cause there's another part of me that dislikes the fairly limited number of examples that they're forced to run with for the sake of time.

I donno, I think these are good, and I know I'm not the target audience, but it kinda falls between two stools for me.
  • kupocake 19 Nov 2013 02:26:27 125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Metalfish who do you think the target audience is, if it isn't someone who regularly plays video games and comes to a forum to discuss them?
  • B0rked_Gamer 19 Nov 2013 02:52:18 2,703 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    That's what PazJohnMitch wrote. Is he wrong?
    The double standard is staggering. Anyway...

The sequence in Far Cry 3 if I remember correctly shows the protagonist getting drugged and then mounted by a priestess.
    I played it recently. So you have this ultimate badass who can kill everything and everyone being sat on by a priestess with her tits out and he clearly enjoys it (going back for more later), and that's rape? Sorry, it's a ridiculous statement. No hint of distress. No hint of restraint. He's conscious (he can see her clearly for the important 'tits out' bit).

If you can't see the difference there, then the people create this sort of misogynist shit clearly know their target market well. The only reason it's not offensive is because it's normal.
    But he's been drugged though, right? How can he give informed consent when he's been drugged? Perhaps I'm not remembering the scene correctly but if the reverse was true and it showed a woman being drugged by a man and sexy time followed the fem-o nutters would be going ape shit.

The double standard is clear and obvious.
  • King_Edward 19 Nov 2013 06:05:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Ms 'Splosion man is probably a bad example, since it's a blatant homage/parody. Otherwise, her examples are fine though.
    It's still a fine example. It does nothing to subvert the trope. It just follows suit.
  • Zizoo 19 Nov 2013 07:27:05 8,378 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But women do love to eat?
  • Tonka 19 Nov 2013 08:09:37 20,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the point is that you don't have to be a woman to love to eat. And you don't have to love to eat just because you're a woman.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• MetalDog 19 Nov 2013 08:35:31 23,697 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the most salient point she makes there is that quite often, you do get a wide choice of personalities with male characters, each having very different traits and styles likely to appeal to lots of people and the token female option is very often:

Special traits: has tits and a shitty, shallow personality
    Style: pink bow and cleavage

Which sucks, it's dull and unimaginative and makes the token female avatar a character I never select when that is the case, because it's a shitty option. I don't like pink, for starters. It's exact;y the same as having a token black in your line up, sporting a massive afro and a heavy 'street' accent.

The pink boulder with the bow just made me lol though, they were definitely taking the piss out of the trope with that one.

• Tonka 19 Nov 2013 08:48:52 20,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stuck in a fridge as well. Anitas videos have really been an eyeopener for me.

Like she says, these tropes are so common that they don't even register.

Need a motivation for our hero to do stuff? Chuck his GF in the fridge!
    Female avatar? Put a bow on it!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dangerous_Dan 19 Nov 2013 11:43:29 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Special traits: has tits and a shitty, shallow personality
    Style: pink bow and cleavage
    Who wants to see that in a game.
    That's supposed to be a form of make-believe and escapism.
  • JinTypeNoir 26 Nov 2013 17:19:17 4,386 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HULK SMASH RAPE ADVICE IDIOCY

If you've never read the above blog, I highly recommend you do. It's hilarious and excellent. In this installment: why the greater media needs to change the way it talks about rape. Me posting a link advocating that the media's approach needs to change? Shocking, I know.
  • MetalDog 26 Nov 2013 17:52:27 23,697 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I already loved HULK, but now I love his big green ass a little bit more. That's a fine piece.

• Rhaegyr 26 Nov 2013 18:00:54 1,716 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Great article - those two 'letters' at the end really hammered the point home.

Sounds daft, but I wish I could've read it without everything being all caps; I'm conditioned to think he was shouting at me.
  • Metalfish 26 Nov 2013 18:01:34 8,818 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also like hulk's stuff. I like to imagine they hold the shift key down instead of using caps lock.
  • Kanjin 27 Nov 2013 17:55:22 1,115 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a good article if a little long, though I think I got the gist of it. 'tis interesting and makes me sad about how society is.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2013 18:11:38
    Just for the sake of pointing it out, here's the ad that seems to appear most on EG for me:

I kind of wonder what kind of impact this sort of stuff would have if places like EG rejected ads like it.
  • King_Edward 27 Nov 2013 18:31:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have wall to wall Xbox/PS4 ads. What is that even for?
  • Deleted user 27 November 2013 18:36:52
    No idea. Some shitty web-based MMO.

It's probably worth pointing out I get different ads here anyway due to not being in the UK, but still. One of the pitfalls of middle-management for ads.
  • King_Edward 27 Nov 2013 20:03:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reminds me of John Walker's ARTICLE FOR MEN.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Mar 2014 14:22:34 38,244 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cowkitty.net - You Stole My Artwork: An Open Letter to Anita Sarkeesian

Open letters eh? Chuh.

Anyway, I believe Anita has already been criticised over her use of other people's work (artwork, lets play footage, game footage etc) in this series. Seems she's really bothered about feminism, and not so bothered about infringing copyright law.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mrpon 7 Mar 2014 14:26:34 28,921 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Revan?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 14:27:35 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An Open Letter to Open Letters:

Please fuck off.

Yours,

The World.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• B0rked_Gamer 7 Mar 2014 14:48:21 2,703 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    not new but for anyone who hasn't already seen it

And she got an award for uh, something.
  • Bremenacht 7 Mar 2014 17:40:51 18,275 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What a pathetic video. She's obviously hit a nerve if saddoes are compelled to put together something like that.
  • Page

of 102 First / Last